• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shame on Remington

MTAR15

Twist'n Grips & Pack'n Dips
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 20, 2009
    Montana
    I acquired a new 870 on a trade, I was told it was unfired and based on how the shotgun looks it was unfired.

I noticed there was no "click" when I pulled the trigger, so I removed the trigger group and found the disconnector will not reset. If I manually reset it, works well. Otherwise it's a one hit wonder.

I called Remington today and talked through the problem, I told them the gun was unfired and I am the second owner. They promptly informed me there is no warranty for a Remington unless you are the original owner. $96 for a new plastic 870 trigger group.

At this point I'm less than impressed, if you believe in your product I think you should stand by it throughout the warranty period regardless of who's safe it's sitting in (broken).

Re: Shame on Remington

that sucks. YouTube video and make it viral in the gun community ! That usually turns things around. Record them on the call too
    smile.gif

Wait til you find out how they dealt with the issue of untentional discharges when the bolt is closed on their rifles. They knew 40 years ago and could have fixed the problem for about 10 cents per rifle but declined.Finally they came out with the XMarkPro trigger, but srteadfastly refuse to even admit to the problem.

Goldie i hate to hijack my own rant thread, but what the hell do you do to get banned for a year?

I had a horrible experice with a new LVSF rig a few years back. I didn't much help with my piece of junk either.

Was my last Remmy purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait til you find out how they dealt with the issue of untentional discharges when the bolt is closed on their rifles. They knew 40 years ago and could have fixed the problem for about 10 cents per rifle but declined.Finally they came out with the XMarkPro trigger, but srteadfastly refuse to even admit to the problem. </div></div>

Had that problem on my friends 300 RUM. Only it would fire when you disengaged the safety. He sent it back to Remington but they said they could not duplicate the problem but the gave him a new trigger. How nice....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTAR15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goldie i hate to hijack my own rant thread, but what the hell do you do to get banned for a year? </div></div>

If I told you that Id be banned for life
    grin.gif
    but it had to do with this guy Shaggy
    whistle.gif

I had a Winchester that used to do that (On the AD).

On that 870 - is there anyone that makes a metal trigger group?

I have a fairly newer (4-5 year old) 870 with the plastic on it and I don't like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Winchester that used to do that (On the AD).

On that 870 - is there anyone that makes a metal trigger group?

I have a fairly newer (4-5 year old) 870 with the plastic on it and I don't like it. </div></div>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=338701

That's for the aluminum one off the police model..

It's not like back in the day where everything was made of metal. These days they use PLASTIC just to save a buck and the damn piece is prolly made in china. Wheres all the good AMERICAN products at? And the JOBS? Bunch of cheap asses...

Guess it's time to vote with my wallet.

You got a second hand shotgun of unknown origin with who knows what done to it and your pissed at Remington?

I'd be pissed at the guy who pawned it off on you....

Got it on grade from a friend.

Look, if they asked me to send it in to do an evaluation of any abuse or neglect before fixing it, I'm fine with that. But to just chicken shit out of the warranty because they can is crap. We trust our lives with these, they better be robust.

Remington needs to step up and give a warranty that shows they stand by their products. Hell, even Taurus has a transferable lifetime warranty. I'm no Taurus fan but they will get my money long before Remington see another dime of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Brownells rem 870 park. trigger group </div></div>

This actually funny seeing as Brownells will sell you a metal trigger group for less than Remington will sell you the plastic one. I hope Remington fixes their company because I really do hate to see an American company go downhill like they have. I sold off my last Remington a couple years ago.

Josh

The 870 "Express" deal makes me laugh, the 870 fan boys will tell you that 870's never break and Mossbergs are POS guns, and Benelli Novas are junk plastic.
    I coach a Trap Team and I have seen 3 different low round count (under 1000) 870 express shotguns break, my son shoots his Grandpa's Mossberg that has minimum 5000 shells through it and just runs, my Nova has 10-12,000 rounds through it and has never missed a lick, it has been loaned out to numerous kids, shot many tournaments in the rain, goes duck hunting every year, and rides a tractor in hay season.
    Don't get me wrong, old 870s were great guns and the more expensive new 870's are good guns, but the Express line is crap.

As much as it sucks that your "new" gun doesn't work. Its still a second hand gun.

Very Very Very Very few companies warranty something after the original purchaser passes it on.

Dillon and Giraud Tool are the only two that come to mind.

Why doesn't your friend just call and have them fix it through them?

He is paying for the new parts.

Because I already called and told them the SN and that it's in a second set of hands. Didn't cross my mind to decieve them to get around a half assed warranty. I thought they were a better company than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Very Very Very few companies warranty something after the original purchaser passes it on.</div></div>

Maybe not explicitly, but there are lots of companies that do not deny claims of further users, personally I have experienced this from, Sears/Craftsman, Mac, Matco, Snap-On, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Henry Repeating Arms, Ruger, Kubota Tractors, Buck Knives, CRKT, Cobra Archery and PSE Archery.
    All of the above have replaced/repaired items for me either after the original warranty ran out or as a non-original owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTAR15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it on grade from a friend.

Look, if they asked me to send it in to do an evaluation of any abuse or neglect before fixing it, I'm fine with that. But to just chicken shit out of the warranty because they can is crap. We trust our lives with these, they better be robust.

Remington needs to step up and give a warranty that shows they stand by their products. Hell, even Taurus has a transferable lifetime warranty. I'm no Taurus fan but they will get my money long before Remington see another dime of it. </div></div>

That does seem a bit shady, call them with a problem with one of their guns that's never been fired...You would at least think they would let you send it in to be looked at. Very cheap of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tattoo13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Very Very Very few companies warranty something after the original purchaser passes it on.</div></div>

Maybe not explicitly, but there are lots of companies that do not deny claims of further users, personally I have experienced this from, Sears/Craftsman, Mac, Matco, Snap-On, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Henry Repeating Arms, Ruger, Kubota Tractors, Buck Knives, CRKT, Cobra Archery and PSE Archery.
    All of the above have replaced/repaired items for me either after the original warranty ran out or as a non-original owner. </div></div>

I've had more than a few of those companies refuse warranty service as well.

Either way...please stay away from Remington. It helps keep the prices down for the rest of us.

I for one will stay away from them. We all have a choice and mine was definitely helped along by the behavior of Rem.

Remington is owned by a private equity firm. They are probably focused on keeping costs to an absolute bare minimum and showing as much margin as possible in order to effect a good IPO or private sale. To them the brand and reputation is already established so no need to go the extra mile.

Although Remington has never been known as a beacon of customer service, your buddy should have had this taken care of before you ever got the gun from him, IMO.

It was new in the box, why would anyone assume it needed warranty work? He made good on it, that's what I'd expect.

The only poor show in this was Remington's customer service.

yeah personally i think 870's are junk.... the few encounters ive had with them were horrible... mossbergs run better for me.

If you got it thru a friend and he is the original owner, why not have him call or send it for you? After all he is the original owner.. just my thoughts.

Again, when I called them I was honest. Didn't imagine I had to be shifty and lie. So they already know the serial number and that it is now a second hand shotgun.

This isn't about beating some system, it about piss poor practices. It never occurred to me that Remington would weasle out of it's obligation, but they have and I'm sure going to let this community know it. Call it therapy.

I like Remington, but after the way they dealt with the 597 magnums in .17 HMR, I will buy savage from now on.

I have a friend with a tacticool short 870 that he has had to send in twice with some sort of extractor issue. I don't know this for a fact, but it makes sense that quality was cut somewhere when the holding company aquired them. I wonder if this has affected their remington 700s.

Hi all, about 2 yrs. ago Remington called and asked me to be on their Civilian Advisory Board, I have in excess of 25 of their rifles, and shotguns. The day they e-mailed and asked me to particiapte in a 20min. questionaire about their "Remington Factory Stocks", <span style="font-weight: bold">finally I got a chance to rip them a new ass!</span>.
    I had beat them up pretty good on some of the other requests but this one was icing on the cake, rip them a new ass I did, I have never heard from them since, oh well it sucks to here in so many words that your "overpriced, substandard, $10 piece of plastic you call a stock, when compared to the rest [not all factory stocks] of the shooting industry was a POS! Christ, the Hogue is a cadillac compared to theres.
    JOE

Bought one of the highly touted 5R model 700's last year. Absolutely would not shoot under 3-4 inches at 100. Sent back they said it was fine. Then one day I flipped the safety off and BOOM!!! Luckily I bought it from a place I am known at and they gave me a refund after I took it in and the firing pin dropped 2 more times in about 10 times flipping the safety off. No more Remmys for me. BTW it had the X-Mark trigger in it.