• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sharing Bedded Stocks

FuddLuck

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Texas
My question is whether a stock which has been glass bedded can be shared with another action of the same size.

My plan is to buy a Sauer 100 XT in .308 for deer hunting, and buying a GRS Sporter stock. The GRS laminate stock requires you to remove the aluminum Sauer Ever Rest bedding block for fitment (thus sacrificing the factory stock). GRS recommends glass bedding all laminate stocks as well. At this point there would be no issues.

The potential problem arises with my hope to later buy a Sauer Pantera in .223 for plinking and target shooting, and possibly a Sauer Fieldshot in 6.5CM for long range shooting. I would like to sell the factory stocks and share the GRS stock for all 3 actions.

I have already spoken with Sauer and they have said that all these models can share the same stock (all have the same action length, trigger guard, and Ever Rest Bedding Block size).

The question is if I glass bed the original XT action to the stock (as advised by GRS), will the other 2 actions fit without modification; or will the minuscule differences in action sizes prevent the next 2 actions to fit?

Any input or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is a reason Sauer glues the aluminum block into the stock.. Same reason GRS doesn't install their own block. Think about it.

Reactions: Fig
As far as bedding in general, removing an reinstalling the action should be kept to an absolute minimum as the process wears the bedding.

On the specifics of bedding, machining has tolerances, where bedding is precise. For the most part two identical actions will sit pretty well in the same bedding but you are losing stability somewhere. The other issue, which is the larger issue, is if the lug is bedded. Bedding the lug surrounds the lug with material. Any difference at all (as in no variation) will result in the lug not fitting, the lug not being secured properly, and/or material being displaced when tightening down the alternate action.

Thanks for the input guys. I really like the Sauer 100 design and its 5 shot MOA guarantee, buy I might have to rethink my plans. My fallback is getting a Tikka T3X and CTR and sharing a GRS Bifrost stock (they don’t require a bedding block or glass bedding). In that case I can also get a T1X for NRL22 and use the same stock as my centerfires. Thanks again.

As far as bedding in general, removing an reinstalling the action should be kept to an absolute minimum as the process wears the bedding.

On the specifics of bedding, machining has tolerances, where bedding is precise. For the most part two identical actions will sit pretty well in the same bedding but you are losing stability somewhere. The other issue, which is the larger issue, is if the lug is bedded. Bedding the lug surrounds the lug with material. Any difference at all (as in no variation) will result in the lug not fitting, the lug not being secured properly, and/or material being displaced when tightening down the alternate action.

You first paragraph only applies to bedded m1a. You cannot wear out bedding in a bolt gun by taking out the action. There is no side pressure on a bolt action from bedding, on a m1a yes and break it down will damage bedding from the camping of trigger assembly and receiver feet.

Just an update: I ended up buying a Sauer 100 XT in .270 win. Found a new one for $450 and couldn’t pass up on the deal. I’m going to contact GRS because their “blog” section claims their GRS sporter comes with a stainless steel lug, however another page on their site claims you will need to remove the one from the factory stock. Hopefully the latter is a misprint and I can end up sharing the stock with a future Sauer Pantera and/or Fieldshoot.

I figure worse case scenario will result in the GRS laminate being my dedicated .270 stock and I might just get a Tikka in a Bifrost.