• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sharing load data for RPR 308 w CFE223

Gmac

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Delaware
Working up load data for RPR 308 using CFE223 powder in case anyone’s interested. First pic is SMK 168, my reference standard. Second pic is Hornady ELD-M, 168 using CFE223, 46.5.46.6 grains, Fed brass, WIN LR primers, COL 2.800” nominal.
With exception of probably flier, I’m reasonably happy. Just sharing.

Attachments

• D5FFFEE1-7FCE-47BC-9F71-5297D2CBCE59.jpeg
    D5FFFEE1-7FCE-47BC-9F71-5297D2CBCE59.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 203
  • 6125BCAC-7FBA-4F0E-8AF8-E3C57DB75D0A.jpeg
    6125BCAC-7FBA-4F0E-8AF8-E3C57DB75D0A.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: simonp and nn8734
What velocities were you getting with those loads?

I use 46.9 same bullet same oal in an lmt 308.

What velocities were you getting with those loads?
I'm getting 2690 out of a 16" barrel with CCI #34 primers. It's smoking from that short a barrel, but pressure wise it looks a lot better than fgmm 168 where I get gross bent rims and unusable brass.

I'm getting 2690 out of a 16" barrel with CCI #34 primers. It's smoking from that short a barrel, but pressure wise it looks a lot better than fgmm 168 where I get gross bent rims and unusable brass.
You getting that with the 168smk and cfe223?

What type of barrel/rifle?

Suppressor or no? If yes, what can are you running)

What, if any, pressure signs on the brass?

You getting that with the 168smk and cfe223?

What type of barrel/rifle?

Suppressor or no? If yes, what can are you running)

What, if any, pressure signs on the brass?
LMT large frame with a Silencerco Chimera on it. It's a Rock Creek cut rifled barrel. Less pressure than using FGMM, where I will get bent rims and nasty dings. No primer extrusion, maybe slightly flattened, but #34s are tough ass primers, so you don't see as much. I was really surprised as to the speed. I actually backed down .3 grains because I was over the velocity I was looking for.

In my experience, CFE223 is like CFE Pistol in that it gives massive velocity, and that is moreso in 308 than 223. I think I am using it in 204 Ruger too, but I'm just in the beginning of load development and the gophers are months away.

Reactions: nn8734
LMT large frame with a Silencerco Chimera on it. It's a Rock Creek cut rifled barrel. Less pressure than using FGMM, where I will get bent rims and nasty dings. No primer extrusion, maybe slightly flattened, but #34s are tough ass primers, so you don't see as much. I was really surprised as to the speed. I actually backed down .3 grains because I was over the velocity I was looking for.

In my experience, CFE223 is like CFE Pistol in that it gives massive velocity, and that is moreso in 308 than 223. I think I am using it in 204 Ruger too, but I'm just in the beginning of load development and the gophers are months away.
Sweet, thanks for the info. Have 16 pounds of it sitting on the shelf, sounds like it’s time to put it to use.