• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shark fishing in the Gulf

I used to shark fish in the mid Atlantic Ocean area. Threshers and mako.

My advice is:

Have at least. A 23 foot boat (center console or walk around is a must).

20 gauge slug gun ready.

2 gafts.

Plenty of gas. Including like 10 gallons on board just in case.

At least 4 to 5 people on board to fight a big one.

Know how to setup your rigs.
Have chum and balloons
Have 6 to 8! Rods/reels ready to go and downrigger of course.

Also, someone else who you trust to drive the boat while fighting one.

I loved shark shark fishing. Just very expensive and you have to be able to get enough guys willing to pay their way and fish when the sharks are running.

Also, have a CB radio to talk to other boats or coastguard.

You better know wtf your doing.
And I’m talking about when you land a 300+ lb shark. They get way bigger than that to obviously assume you know that.

The more you go out and watch other boys fish for then you will learn

A lot of guys get pissed and won’t help you. Sometimes you will have 10 or more boats in an area all drifting near the same channels and it can get stressfull

You better know what a tiger and great white look like especially as juveniles or you will get arrested and you boat impounded.

But hey, it’s the gulf so maybe it’s a free for all down there?

I have done a lot of offshore big game fishing, mostly here in the Guolf but also in Australia) tournaments and for fun. Personally I would suggest you look into a charter out of Venice LA, from Vudoo charters or Capt.Peace Marvel. Skip the sharks and target Tuna (yellowfin and blackfin are most predominant) Wahoo, Dorado, and if you really want the coup de gras swordfish. You will likely end up with coolers of delicious seafood fresh. While shark, depending on variety can be very good, imo it pales to those i listed and many I have not.

I have done a lot of offshore big game fishing, mostly here in the Guolf but also in Australia) tournaments and for fun. Personally I would suggest you look into a charter out of Venice LA, from Vudoo charters or Capt.Peace Marvel. Skip the sharks and target Tuna (yellowfin and blackfin are most predominant) Wahoo, Dorado, and if you really want the coup de gras swordfish. You will likely end up with coolers of delicious seafood fresh. While shark, depending on variety can be very good, imo it pales to those i listed and many I have not.
I second skipping sharks and fishing out of Venice LA. We go every couple years with Mexican Gulf Fishing Company. Sharks get cut off.
20170810_121541.jpg

FB_IMG_1502488314487.jpg

20200809_190120.jpg

20200809_190108.jpg

FB_IMG_1502567969961.jpg

did so many years-long ago-mid 60s to early 70s. mostly off sunshine skyway when it was 2 bridges. also,off beaches on anna maria and longboat. got a few off charter and party boats in last few years as bycatch when grouper fishing. back then,used penn senators 6/0-12/0 dacron line,steel leaders. got up to about 300lbs. guys i knew got 1 or 2 up to 800. can't believe i used 12/0 standing and harnessed in. couldn't do that now on a bet. braided line has i bet revolutionized the game. strong line way smaller. smaller size lever drag reels. improved off shore bottom fishing too. getting bait was always the issue. hung lights over bridge and snagged ladyfish. waded around at night with coleman lanterns and a gig. best bait was rays,hands down. every jaw i ever saw full of old ray barbs. didn't bother the sharks. all catch and release now,as it should be. we killed way more sharks back then due to being ignorant. just like divers wiped out jewfish back in 50s/60s. they have come back. not so sure about sharks future.

Funny story. About 70 miles out we’re fishing around a semi sub rig. Me and my going to be future wife is down chasing the snappers around (the fish) and the other two guys with us stayed on the boat and was pole fishing trying to deco from the last dive. I shot a big aj and didn’t stone him and he took me for a pretty good ride. I finally got him in then I shot about a 10# snapper. I was gassed from the big aj so I just handed my gun with the snapper still on the spear to my girlfriend and motioned to go up to the boat and she started up. I lagged behind a little bit watching my computer and when I got to the top there she was about 30 yards from the boat holding the snapper above her head and cussing me with everything she had. I’m thinking WTH and turn and look at my buddies on the boat and one point down. I slid my mask down and stuck my head down and there was a smallish hammer about 8-10 feet long swimming about 40 feet below us and around in circles, then I noticed that it has a line coming from it’s mouth then I look up and notice that the other buddy was on the other side of the boat trying to land him. She made it to the boat cussing the whole time holding that fish out of the water, I made it to the boat, threw the big aj on board and grabbed the gaft and Set the hook when he came by while holding onto the ladder while in the water. Even after that she still married me. I’ve done some crazy stuff in the gulf under the water including catching a snapper or two (not the fish).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Foul Mike
did so many years-long ago-mid 60s to early 70s. mostly off sunshine skyway when it was 2 bridges. also,off beaches on anna maria and longboat. got a few off charter and party boats in last few years as bycatch when grouper fishing. back then,used penn senators 6/0-12/0 dacron line,steel leaders. got up to about 300lbs. guys i knew got 1 or 2 up to 800. can't believe i used 12/0 standing and harnessed in. couldn't do that now on a bet. braided line has i bet revolutionized the game. strong line way smaller. smaller size lever drag reels. improved off shore bottom fishing too. getting bait was always the issue. hung lights over bridge and snagged ladyfish. waded around at night with coleman lanterns and a gig. best bait was rays,hands down. every jaw i ever saw full of old ray barbs. didn't bother the sharks. all catch and release now,as it should be. we killed way more sharks back then due to being ignorant. just like divers wiped out jewfish back in 50s/60s. they have come back. not so sure about sharks future.
Holy Shit... I lived on Anna Marie Island decades ago....

that area has changed unbelievably. daughter lives in bradenton and almost every road and building there now wasn't there in '70. anna maria way changed. do you remember the old rod and reel pier? speaking of sharks.

Find a shrimp boat and follow it. Wait for them to start culling the catch. More sharks than you can shake a rod at and will bite on anything. Have a gun with you to put them down. 23’ boat minimum is a good suggestion. I’ve had a shark drag a 23’ boat around like it wasn’t there.

Black tip shark aren’t bad eating if you catch one.

Are you trying to deliberately target sharks? There is much funner fish to chase after.

Caught this one on a bass rod. That was a hella fun fight

D1FD0744-D595-4814-B78D-BD7EEA1C4159.jpeg

Reactions: huntingthem
that area has changed unbelievably. daughter lives in bradenton and almost every road and building there now wasn't there in '70. anna maria way changed. do you remember the old rod and reel pier? speaking of sharks.
Not only do I but my best friends Granddad caught that big Hammer hanging in it.

Do you remember watching the trapeze artist practice in their backyards? The Flying Wallendas and their descendants iirc

caught two 200# from the piers around hatteras. at night. rowed out some tuna heads a few hundred yards then back to man the rods. pretty friggin surreal paddling out in total darkness with a big bloody head and hook onboard. also had some jet skiiers take the baits out, also kites depending on wind. personally i think you'd have more fun, and taste, with cobia, kings and wahoo, but it's all a lotta fun. tuna too, they'll kick your ass.

Find a shrimp boat and follow it. Wait for them to start culling the catch. More sharks than you can shake a rod at and will bite on anything. Have a gun with you to put them down. 23’ boat minimum is a good suggestion. I’ve had a shark drag a 23’ boat around like it wasn’t there.

Black tip shark aren’t bad eating if you catch one.

Are you trying to deliberately target sharks? There is much funner fish to chase after.

Caught this one on a bass rod. That was a hella fun fight

View attachment 7796638
Black tip is good to eat. That little one is all you need. But, I assume OP wanted the full experience doing it on his own boat (probably not now though) Not a charter.

Catching a 400 to 600 lb shark is rewarding but I agree tuna is better and funner probably.

Around my parts you have to go 40 to 60 miles out for tuna. So, I didn’t do that much on my own boat.

On you own boat you are the captain

I would not do a charter for shark but I would for tuna.

I don’t know if the gulf gets a rough as the mid Atlantic (maybe it does)

Black tip is good to eat. That little one is all you need. But, I assume OP wanted the full experience doing it on his own boat (probably not now though) Not a charter.

Catching a 400 to 600 lb shark is rewarding but I agree tuna is better and funner probably.

Around my parts you have to go 40 to 60 miles out for tuna. So, I didn’t do that much on my own boat.

On you own boat you are the captain

I would not do a charter for shark but I would for tuna.

I don’t know if the gulf gets a rough as the mid Atlantic (maybe it does)
I wish we could get tuna 40-60 miles off the Texas coast. Iirc we did 90 miles to get to AJs and I think tuna are like 150

been out in gulf in 10 footers 1x,not fun. as far as tuna,wahoo,billfish "better" sure. tuna in gulf offshore fl are blackfin when they are around. but "back then" with the wages we had and wanting to catch "big fish" shark was the only option except tarpon season. nobody could afford a boat or a charter and party boats forebad sharking. 12/0 set you back 2 weeks pay and 1000 yd dacron the same. then shark rods had to be custom builder or self done.

I wish we could get tuna 40-60 miles off the Texas coast. Iirc we did 90 miles to get to AJs and I think tuna are like 150
Thats about right, thats why we drove to Venice and fished out of the pier there, much faster to blue water, though added drive time...

Yeah I see. Wow, that’s far out there. Damn. Big money. 35 40 ft boat. I don’t want to be in on 5-6 ft seas much less 8+. Yep, everything is a rich mans game with that kind of fishing

I would like to catch a big fish but what I really would like to do is dig a clam up, just like Dick&Jane did in elementary school in the 50s.
Can you do that or was the whole story bullshit?

Back in the 80’s when I was first cutting my teeth with open water spear fishing me and a couple buddies went on a charter boat and there were 4-5 other divers on there from Gonzales. We stopped at a sunken rig in about 250 feet of water, we were all ready and when the captain said we were over it everyone bailed. I went down to about 130 and saw a good triple tail and got it, my buddies each got something but nothing to brag about for sure. We got back on the boat and there were the other divers with huge aj’s reds and lings, we were all thinking son of a bitch, we didn’t see anything even close to that. The next couple stops was a repeat, so, we asked what’s the deal and they said you have to go deep. We said deep, we’re going to about 150. They laughed and said no 300, we looked at each other and said holly shit no way. Well the trick was to suck all the air out of your bc add extra weight and when you hit the water you swim as hard as you can straight down, find your target while going deep, shoot and get back to 50-60 feet and hang out a few minutes. We started doing that and we slaughtered the fish. I would get narked at about 190 but what the hell we were young and invincible. The other divers were part of the hell divers club. The next week we heard that one of the guys we were diving with was killed out there, a huge aj tangled him up down deep. I read their book once and the stories are believable if you knew them, they were adrenaline junkies for sure.

• Love
Reactions: Foul Mike
not hell bent on sharks, but thought it would be fun. was leaning toward something relaxing on the beach. might do some calling and see what a boat costs for the day. i do like fish and having it in the freezer.

I would like to catch a big fish but what I really would like to do is dig a clam up, just like Dick&Jane did in elementary school in the 50s.

Yes sir it's true.

Look for a breathing hole, dig like a son of a bitch and get your quahog.

Ever get a bearded clam, much more enjoyable.

I've never been properly shark fishing but I've caught plenty of wee baby sharks outta the river. Little buggers are kinda cute, not much more difficult from any other fish getting 'em off the hook. I'd rather sharks than stingrays any day.

Used to catch Mako's out west when I was a kid.
Not much fights harder (including tuna) and not much is better on the grill.
We would stop at the oil derricks and toss frozen anchovies to catch a buttload of mackerel and put them in the live well.
Head out another 40-50 miles and put a old crank handle meat grinder on the rail and grind a few of the mackerel up to create a oily chum slick.
Then toss out live mackerel on a 12/0 hook with wire leader with some serious heavy gear.....and hang on.
Better have full roller rods and international 60's and up with at least 140 test line.....and lots of it.
I had a old ruger super blackhawk and used cut down 30-40 krag cases to make home made shot shells, shoot em thru the eye angling back for a quick kill cause you sure don't want 150 or more lbs of thrashing tooth factory on the deck.
Trick is to put a couple slices in the mackerel so they would bleed and skitter like a ....well....like a wounded fish.

Used to fish for Blacktips in Charlotte harbor around Sanibell. Great fun and excellent eating! Nothing more than a John boat, a heavy spinning rig, and a pinfish under a poping cork. Used to catch little bonnet heads fishing for speckled sea trout around tarpon springs all the time. Flash forward and I’m doing the kayak fishing thing back in Charlotte harbor and saw hammer heads that made me rethink some life decisions. “We’re gonna need a bigger boat!” Is apt to say the least! No need to go offshore to stick a BIG shark.

Last edited:
Back in the 80’s when I was first cutting my teeth with open water spear fishing me and a couple buddies went on a charter boat and there were 4-5 other divers on there from Gonzales. We stopped at a sunken rig in about 250 feet of water, we were all ready and when the captain said we were over it everyone bailed. I went down to about 130 and saw a good triple tail and got it, my buddies each got something but nothing to brag about for sure. We got back on the boat and there were the other divers with huge aj’s reds and lings, we were all thinking son of a bitch, we didn’t see anything even close to that. The next couple stops was a repeat, so, we asked what’s the deal and they said you have to go deep. We said deep, we’re going to about 150. They laughed and said no 300, we looked at each other and said holly shit no way. Well the trick was to suck all the air out of your bc add extra weight and when you hit the water you swim as hard as you can straight down, find your target while going deep, shoot and get back to 50-60 feet and hang out a few minutes. We started doing that and we slaughtered the fish. I would get narked at about 190 but what the hell we were young and invincible. The other divers were part of the hell divers club. The next week we heard that one of the guys we were diving with was killed out there, a huge aj tangled him up down deep. I read their book once and the stories are believable if you knew them, they were adrenaline junkies for sure.
I can verify your story. I have been on the boats with them.... Peter Cheramie's boat, for one.
The Hell Divers bed down the 400# sharks under the rigs the night before the rodeo opens. Usually 200 mines off shore. Next morning they silently drop down on the shark, shoot it in the soft spot on the back of the head. That only stuns it. They have a few minutes to get it up to the surface. They have connections on the off shore oil platform. They use a crane to lift the shark and put it on the back of a 65' crew boat that runs it back to the weigh in at New Orleans... or Grand Isle.. They helicopter a lot due to the short window of time to get the fish in... Some rules may have changed since I was there. An unforgettable bunch.

I have a buddy that shark fishes from the beach out by Ocean City MD, he uses a kayak to get the bait out. Caught some up to about 8 feet long, got them on the sand, and pushed them back in the water for release. I've tried eating shark a few times, thinking it would be better than the last time, it wasn't any better either time. Go after something worth eating...unless you just want to put a notch on your stock.

Reactions: BigTex
I used to shark fish in the mid Atlantic Ocean area. Threshers and mako.

My advice is:

Have at least. A 23 foot boat (center console or walk around is a must).

20 gauge slug gun ready.

2 gafts.

Plenty of gas. Including like 10 gallons on board just in case.

At least 4 to 5 people on board to fight a big one.

Know how to setup your rigs.
Have chum and balloons
Have 6 to 8! Rods/reels ready to go and downrigger of course.

Also, someone else who you trust to drive the boat while fighting one.

I loved shark shark fishing. Just very expensive and you have to be able to get enough guys willing to pay their way and fish when the sharks are running.

Also, have a CB radio to talk to other boats or coastguard.

You better know wtf your doing.
And I’m talking about when you land a 300+ lb shark. They get way bigger than that to obviously assume you know that.

The more you go out and watch other boys fish for then you will learn

A lot of guys get pissed and won’t help you. Sometimes you will have 10 or more boats in an area all drifting near the same channels and it can get stressfull

You better know what a tiger and great white look like especially as juveniles or you will get arrested and you boat impounded.

But hey, it’s the gulf so maybe it’s a free for all down there?

I would add scuba tanks and a M1 Garand.

• Haha
Reactions: XikoPlavi

Back before pollution shut it down, we would take a flat bottom boat to the Murrell's Inlet area and drag it out to oyster beds before the tide came in, fill with oysters and float back. GFs/Wives stayed on the banks and dug clams.

After an evening of raw oysters, clams and beer, you might find a bearded clam...if you didn't overdo the latter.

ah yes…the ever elusive bearded clam. these days, it’s on the endangered species list anymore. no shortage of unbearded clams though.

i will make some calls this week. i’ve no idea how the fishing is in february. i’d be pretty happy to come home with my cooler full of fish. last year i brought home a pile of shrimp that i am still eating on; and damn they are delicious. night and day, no comparison. so much so i kinda get pissed off about it.
i was taking a cooler with me anyway and was going to buy fish off the dock to bring home. i CANT WAIT to get to some of those fantastic places and get some quality seafood meals. took my youngest down last spring, and he was blown away by how good the food was. i told him “now you know why i get pissed off at the shitholes where we live”

Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are absolutely loaded with big sharks.
Just try fishing for tarpon, grouper or snapper from Port Manatee all the way to the mouth of the bay.
After a couple of hook ups, Ol' Mr Brownsuit will show up. In fact, the goliath grouper will do the same.

I can't tell you how many times myself or a buddy has had a good grouper on, only to have one of the big guys show up.

A bite off happens quickly and looks like this.
20200403_123355.jpg

Some times you're fighting the shark for a bit while he heads for open water. They eventually break off.

If a goliath grouper grabs it, you'll swear you've hooked a full sized truck and it's heading downhill.

Yeah, we've targeted goliath grouper.
It's not for the weak or faint of heart.

20170521_103045.jpg

I can't believe I was stupid enough to get into the water with all the sharks around. Also, one swipe of the tail and this guy could have totally crushed me against the hull.
Screenshot_2017-05-21-18-57-42.jpeg

So just to update everyone here who may be out of the loop, Mako sharks are illegal to take for the next two years and the year prior the minimum size was 83”.

yea west coast fl is loaded with big sharks. have seen them at night well over 8' long in like 3 ft of water. pics of air shots over gulf beaches in daytime show bunches of big ones 50-100 yds from where touists are hanging around in 3-4ft of water. wish i could find those to link here.

Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are absolutely loaded with big sharks.
Just try fishing for tarpon, grouper or snapper from Port Manatee all the way to the mouth of the bay.
After a couple of hook ups, Ol' Mr Brownsuit will show up. In fact, the goliath grouper will do the same.

I can't tell you how many times myself or a buddy has had a good grouper on, only to have one of the big guys show up.

A bite off happens quickly and looks like this.
View attachment 7797067

Some times you're fighting the shark for a bit while he heads for open water. They eventually break off.

If a goliath grouper grabs it, you'll swear you've hooked a full sized truck and it's heading downhill.

Yeah, we've targeted goliath grouper.
It's not for the weak or faint of heart.

View attachment 7797072

I can't believe I was stupid enough to get into the water with all the sharks around. Also, one swipe of the tail and this guy could have totally crushed me against the hull.
View attachment 7797074
I've seen the tarpon thing repeatedly. Hook in to a good one a'la 125 to 150 pound range and the fight is on! Suddenly the line just feels different and you reel in 75 pounds of what is left of a tarpon. BTW, an example of what you can catch beach fishing off Sanibell (Not me. BTW. I'm old and fat! :LOL: )...
Sharkman4.jpg

Last edited:
never in the gulf. all i can suggest is knowing a butcher that can hook you up with buckets of chum, but if you're going with others, they probably have those hook ups already.

Reactions: oneshot86
Sharks absolutely suck to “fight”. Fight is in quotes, because it’s a huge fucking catfish that simply swims away from the pull.
You will never “fight” a shark on the surface. It is no different than bringing an engine block out with you, tying your line on it, and pushing it over the side. They’re not game fish, because it’s just your strength and endurance, with no fighting skill.

I hooked a 7’ mako in a 12’ skiff just outside a reef in Andros on the Tongue of the Ocean, and it ran through the reef and back out several times before it wrapped a coral head and snapped the line, but that was the only fun shark fishing Ive ever done. Out in pelagic territory it’s boring. I’m with Acard 100%.

seen a lot of that. barracuda are also frequently guilty. they love yellowtail snapper. last 15yr or so dolphin doing the same. they just grab it and haul ass with it. often release it for a few yards and grab it again. they're just being like cats,playing around. never seen one get hooked.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Sharks absolutely suck to “fight”. Fight is in quotes, because it’s a huge fucking catfish that simply swims away from the pull.
You will never “fight” a shark on the surface. It is no different than bringing an engine block out with you, tying your line on it, and pushing it over the side. They’re not game fish, because it’s just your strength and endurance, with no fighting skill.

I hooked a 7’ mako in a 12’ skiff just outside a reef in Andros on the Tongue of the Ocean, and it ran through the reef and back out several times before it wrapped a coral head and snapped the line, but that was the only fun shark fishing Ive ever done. Out in pelagic territory it’s boring. I’m with Acard 100%.
Agreed to a point. 20 pound Blacktips are quite acrobatic and have an attitude! Lot's of fun to catch and eat. Bigger ones? Well, my old man used to have a place in Inglis so the Saturday schedule was hit the flats off the Withlacootchie river mouth for specked sea trout then head out to the bouys to target cobia. Invarably we would stick a tiger (Rod goes double, drag acts like it isn't on, and you cannot turn them, lift their head, nothing!) and the SOP was cut the line quick before too much was lost, retie, and get back to chasing cobia. First time it happened Dad just came over and cut the line. I was like "What the FUCK?!?". Dad said " I am not standing here for 6 hours watching you lose to a fish we can't get in the boat and we can't eat. Shadap and retie!"

Agreed to a point. 20 pound Blacktips are quite acrobatic and have an attitude! Lot's of fun to catch and eat. Bigger ones? Well, my old man used to have a place in Inglis so the Saturday schedule was hit the flats off the Withlacootchie river mouth for specked sea trout then head out to the bouys to target cobia. Invarably we would stick a tiger (Rod goes double, drag acts like it isn't on, and you cannot turn them, lift their head, nothing!) and the SOP was cut the line quick before too much was lost, retie, and get back to chasing cobia. First time it happened Dad just came over and cut the line. I was like "What the FUCK?!?". Dad said " I am not standing here for 6 hours watching you lose to a fish we can't get in the boat and we can't eat. Shadap and retie!"
Soooo true, we always just un moored and motored to a new area when the "brown marlin" showed up

still in levy co? sharks poor fight? some,esp nurse sharks,do act like an engine block. have had big lemons and bulls take a few 2-300yd runs off a 12/0. you're not stopping them. had 100-150 lb "reef sharks" take 30 min to get to the boat,on a snapper rig though,kinda same as an AJ.

still in levy co? sharks poor fight? some,esp nurse sharks,do act like an engine block. have had big lemons and bulls take a few 2-300yd runs off a 12/0. you're not stopping them. had 100-150 lb "reef sharks" take 30 min to get to the boat,on a snapper rig though,kinda same as an AJ.
As a general rule sharks are like catfish or carp, just fucking swim off with your tackle, especially big sharks. Unless you target, gear up for the mission with buoy gaffs and the like, the juice for the squeeze, just does not live up to the hype. That said I have tangled with some fun ones, have had Threshers tail walk like Tarpon, Makos run like tuna but exceedingly rare and by comparison absolutely boring compared to a school of yellowfin or a Wahoo.

Honestly I would rather load lobster pots at dusk and spend the night on the water smoking cigars and drinking scotch before pulling the pots up than shark fish again.

Reactions: Fig and nikonNUT
No, sir. Moved to AR in '89 and the last time I was down was '97 to 2000 when my father had cancer. That last time was in Ozona in Pinellas Co. I miss the fishing but not much else. I do (did?) miss Yankeetown but that was when once you were north of Port Ritchie there wasn't shit but sand and pines until you got to Crystal River. OK, Hudson was a bump in the road and there was Weekiwatchie. Miss the cave diving too!

Last edited:
I have caught 2 decent size Blacktip sharks and a bunch of Atlantic sharpnose and Bonnet heads.
Kayak our baits out and then chill on the beach. Main spot is the Padre Island National Seashore.
What part gulf are you looking at?

No, sir. Moved to AR in '89 and the last time I was down was '97 to 2000 when my father had cancer. That last time was in Ozona in Pinellas Co. I miss the fishing but not much else. I do (did?) miss Yankeetown but that was when once you were north of Port Ritchie there wasn't shit but sand and pines until you got to Crystal River. OK, Hudson was a bump in the road and there was Weekiwatchie. Miss the cave diving too!

I have three words for you.
Crowded as fuck!
Doesn't matter where you go now. People everywhere.