• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s sharpen your knife

Re: sharpen your knife

I keep the tube from a sodium light bulb in my pack for sharpening knives. Small, lightweight, durable, and the ceramic does a great job of sharpening.

I'm guessing that is really just steeling the edge, not sharpening it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing that is really just steeling the edge, not sharpening it.
</div></div>
For sure but worth it none the less.

Yeah I've not seen that before. I think my chances of having a coffee mug in my pack are pretty remote but I'll keep it in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing that is really just steeling the edge, not sharpening it.
</div></div>
My fellow Carolinian gets the prize on this one. Indeed all you are doing is realigning the edge. How effective this will be depends on the type of edge you desire. You will notice he uses a kitchen knife for the demonstration. A properly sharpened kitchen knife will have a wire edge. This type of edge cuts wickedly but will not hold up for long which is why all good kitchens contain a good steel. Hunting knives and fighting knives should have a true edge made by stropping until the wire or burr is broken off, my 2 cents there. Looks like one of the comercials to sell those cheap whiz bang super steel knives. Good tip for a kitchen knife though, seen my mother do that many times with a coffe cup.

That sure is a lot better than what I've seen two girls do with a cup!

if you have to ask, you probably don't want to know!!!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And just what were the girls doing with the cups?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And just what were the girls doing with the cups?</div></div>

Not using it to sharpen knives...

I figured out how to do this when I was invited to thanksgiving to my first inlaws house, and was the only guy who could carve a turkey. They were the perfect copies to "All In the Family". Lived in Ozone Park, Queens, and not a sharp knife in the house, and no sharpeners. The unglazed bottom edge of a coffee mug works just like a 220 grit stone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A leather belt works well also. </div></div>

Yep, was thinking the same thing. Isn't using the mug the same effect as stropping on leather?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Super Ninja training is now complete. BEWARE WORLD!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

I need to start selling coffee cups at the local gun shows to your fellow ninja warriors!!!