• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sharps 22lr

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
Has anyone owned and or shot a Sharps style 22lr. Look like lots of old school fun.

Years ago at SHOT, I saw a scaled-down version of the Sharps 1873 in 22LR - it was a very attractive little rifle, priced accordingly. Several of the guys I used to shoot BPCRS with bought barrel liners for their full-sized Sharps so they could compete in the 22RF silhouette matches held out at Whittington Center. Though I was never around while they were shooting their rifles with the liners, I heard that they shot pretty accurately. The liner was a real cost-effective route to take if you already owned a CF Sharps...

they make barrel liners for .45 for 22lr .... have one in my 4570 1874 sharps for the son

You mean one of these
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

I have a 30 " Pedersoli 1874 sharps in 45/70 and I purchased a .22 rf liner from a place in Texas. The liner is 24" long and has a 45/70 case soldered to the breach end and drilled so the rf round will fit into it. I think it's a match chamber as it engraves the bullet. There are nodes evenly spaced along the liner and then the whole thing has what looks like some type of shrink wrap over it all. With a little grease on the liner, it slips into the barrel easily, and it works pretty well. I haven't worked with it with the high-cost ammo, but with SK rifle I got around 1.25-1.50" inch groups at 100 yards.

The interesting thing about the whole set up is that it's much quieter shooting, not silencer quiet, but noticeably quieter than my other rimfire rifles. It also verified that my vernier sights were installed correctly. I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards on a large target, and as I moved that target out to 100 yards, I "walked" the rounds up to find my 100-yard setting. The bullet strikes were a vertical line up from 50 to 100 yards. Shooting steel at 250 with the rifle is kind of jaw dropping.

At 10 or 12 pounds, it's not the rifle I'd want to take out into the woods for squirrel hunting, but it always draws a lot of interest at the range. When asked what caliber the rifle is, I tell people it's a 45/70/22.

Another vote for using a liner, easy to Install so you can swap back to original CF cartridges

5ABD421C-9409-4242-9E32-3D49D8057660.jpeg

the dummy cartridge that forms the chamber is offset so the CF firing pin strikes the rim of the rf.

accurate to boot, this is 50m with original open tangent stights

8157E906-F503-435C-9E98-DBC298ECAACD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8813BE2A-EC0B-4FC2-952E-0B814D488CEA.jpeg
    8813BE2A-EC0B-4FC2-952E-0B814D488CEA.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Thud

I’ll also vote for the liner, haven’t shot mine a ton but I did use it some to practice for a bison hunt as shooting 402gr bullets at 1800 fps with a steel butt plate gets old quick at $2.50 a round.

EDE51E66-8DE8-4CC3-96B5-873D6C5CE29A.jpeg

Another vote for using a liner, easy to Install so you can swap back to original CF cartridges

View attachment 7837218

the dummy cartridge that forms the chamber is offset so the CF firing pin strikes the rim of the rf.

View attachment 7837219

Beautiful rifle, is that a Shiloh or a C Sharps?

Looks like I'm going to be getting my Safe Queen Shiloh Sharps out to the range a bit more once the Crossno liner shows up from Buffalo Arms! Thanks for spending my money for me!! :)

For reference it appears Mr. Crossno passed away several years ago and although his Family kept the shop going for awhile, that appears not to be the case anymore.

Also in searching the web it appears that C.Sharps does offer a current production 22LR model:

Believe Pedersolli makes on of their 74’s in 22rf using a Lothar barrel?

Though I never met Dave Crossno, I spoke on the phone with him several times after I bought a custom rifle from a good friend that he'd had Dave build on an original Winchester HiWall action in 1994. It was a beautiful single shot, with really pretty French walnut stock & forearm, custom repro of a Winchester double-set trigger trigger guard/lever, and a very accurate heavy octagon Douglas bbl chambered for 40-65. He'd also had the action & lever plated in electroless nickel, and I'd put Montana Vintage Arms LR rear tang & globe front sights on it. Dave had to make me another firing pin, after the one he'd supplied with the rifle broke. I sold it to another BPCRS shooter after I stopped shooting those matches...another one of those guns that I wish I'd kept.

Reactions: bunsen27

View attachment 7837218

View attachment 7837219
Lee Shavers liner also works well in a Springfield Trapdoor, you can't even tell it's in there but it's kind of a pain to install since it has to be done from the muzzle.