• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Shawmut Peninsula, Olde Boston

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Out early...started at the Massachusetts Navy Yard.

gS9MNkwl.jpg

Trying to catch some schoolies...

v5rlC4Nl.jpg

while enjoying coffee...

UBDUlvhl.jpg

No luck headed into the North End. The north tip of the Shawmut Peninsula, the oldest section of Boston.

BVZe8p2l.jpg

Charlestown across the way...

95JINgIl.jpg

The Molasses Catastrophe...

9sK0XK2l.jpg

lzti4RDl.jpg

Tight streets of the North End.

nFOFgLil.jpg

uUxlUp1l.jpg

6PieaQll.jpg

Old granite sidewalk on The Freedom Trail....

2jDUmMPl.jpg

North End house....what a million plus will get you these days.....

gq6YcE6l.jpg

Copps Hill looking toward Charlestown. The old school Italians playing Bocce...Revere rowed his boat from about the park across to the brick warehouse left of the Constitution.

cvEssMJl.jpg

PM:

Thanks and nice pictures. Reminds of summer vacations I took as a child visiting historic sites in New England. Been to Mystic several times and the Atlantic in the summer is beautiful.

The shot above, with the "Boston Tea Party Participant" medallion in it.... do you have a 'different angle' of that stone? I can't read it here on my device, and it's curious.

Thanks again for "more history lessons".

The shot above, with the "Boston Tea Party Participant" medallion in it.... do you have a 'different angle' of that stone? I can't read it here on my device, and it's curious.

Thanks again for "more history lessons".

Here is the marker
    The marker looks to refer to John Hooton. Apparently his body may have been moved to Mt. Auburn, Cambridge at a later date.

Reactions: Davo308
    I looked up why the Sons of Liberty dressed as Indians...

mostly symbolic in nature; they knew they would be recognized as non-Indians. The act of wearing “Indian dress” was to express to the world that the American colonists identified themselves as “Americans” and no longer considered themselves British subjects. They were not dressed as Indians in the classic sense with headdresses and full authentic regalia; rather they wore wool blankets matchcoat style, painted their faces with soot, and employed other modes of dress commonly known at the time as “Indian dress”, which had been adopted by soldiers during the French and Indian War. An observer of the Boston Tea Party, John Andrews wrote the following in 1773: “They say the actors were Indians… Whether they were or not to a transient observer they appear’d as such, being cloth’d in blankets with the heads muffled and copper color’d countenances, each being arm’d with a hatchet or ax, and pair pistols, nor was their dialect different from what I conceive these geniusses to speak, as their jargon was unintelligible to all but themselves.” Boston Tea Party participant George Hewes recorded the following: “It was now evening, and I immediately dressed myself in the costume of an Indian, equipped with a small hatchet, which I and my associates denominated the tomahawk, with which, and a club, after having painted my face and hands with coal dust in the shop of a blacksmith, I repaired to Griffin’s wharf, where the ships lay that contained the tea. When I first appeared in the street after being thus disguised, I fell in with many who were dressed, equipped and painted as I was, and who fell in with me and marched in order to the place of our destination.”

Thanks for the pics. Boston is a great place to visit, I live on the cape but just don't get there much. The north end has some great restaurants and delis.

Wow it looks like an absolute ghost town, when was this? Not a person in sight in most of those photos, very eerie.