• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

She doesn't suck....

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    She's a smart cookie for sure!

Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 17.17.47.png

Navy ?, this must be , ' fake news propiganda' . I see No LGBDEQ, No Rainbow colors, No Trans, or Gender reassignment, Hell I don't even see any Tattoo's .

Reactions: MCSO1357
    Perhaps before it gets too off key we should ask HeavyAssault if this is kin? Of course, we are in the bear pit so....
    It is a woodwind instrument. You blow air into it. My brother, originally trained on piano, played clarinet in marching band in high school.

It is a woodwind instrument. You blow air into it. My brother, originally trained on piano, played clarinet in marching band in high school.
    I mean sure, I get that part of it. Still doesn't mean he's not a proud uncle or something being proud in our own weird way in the bearpit. 🤣

She has a Doctorate and is enlisted, WTF.
    Between regular loan repayment and PSLF, her best bet is probably being enlisted to get rid of eight plus years of costs for "higher" education in a woodwind. You and I both know it's far easier for those with oddball degrees to get commissioned from enlisted ranks than it is to get one right off the streets.

I enlisted two into the band when I was a recruiter. One really was a virtuoso type who could play anything you put in his hands, was from shitty parents who couldn't stay out of jail, and just needed an out once he aged out of foster care and his HS band director pointed him in my direction. After the audition the MSgt that ran the Parris Island band begged me not to fuck up getting him in boots, he wanted that young man in his band something terrible. He quickly made it to the Commandant's Own and I'm sure he's successful wherever he is.

The other loved to play but sucked at it, mostly because she was also playing softball for USF and had no time anymore to practice, but she was getting very frustrated in college and needed something else so she wanted to enlist. She didn't get accepted at first, her lack of practice really showed, but later barely "passed" her audition because the other recruits for her instrument washed out of boot camp and they were desperate and willing to take on someone to work with. She did well too, and knew she lucked out getting into the band where she really wanted to be so she worked her ass off to keep it.

All that's to say I get why some join to be in the bands. They love playing, but are smart enough to realize if you aren't in one of the world class orchestras it will never pay the bills. At least in uniform they can do what they love and put food on the table and a roof over their head while doing it.

I didn't even know you could get a "Doctor of Music" degree. Maybe she got it from the Spin Doctors? Best of luck with the student loans.

My best friend growing up is a "doctor of music" , more accurately he's an ethnomusicologist. Basically musical anthropology. I remember him telling me years ago when he got his doctorate, "yeah there's maybe four or five jobs a year open in the country." Because mostly all you can do with it is teach it to other people. Which he does. And the pyramid scheme that is academia continues.

I had no idea you.could get a doctorate with an instrument
    If youve got the money I'm sure you can get a doctorate in most anything. Even philosophy, LOL. The big question is will it pay the rent. No disrespect to her or the Navy, but she's got a doctorate and playing in the Navy. :unsure:

My best friend growing up is a "doctor of music" , more accurately he's an ethnomusicologist. Basically musical anthropology. I remember him telling me years ago when he got his doctorate, "yeah there's maybe four or five jobs a year open in the country." Because mostly all you can do with it is teach it to other people. Which he does. And the pyramid scheme that is academia continues.
    About the same job opportunities in my major, philosophy. One of my instructors graduated top of his class from one of the top programs in the country and it took him 2 years to find an acceptable job.

Between regular loan repayment and PSLF, her best bet is probably being enlisted to get rid of eight plus years of costs for "higher" education in a woodwind. You and I both know it's far easier for those with oddball degrees to get commissioned from enlisted ranks than it is to get one right off the streets.

I enlisted two into the band when I was a recruiter. One really was a virtuoso type who could play anything you put in his hands, was from shitty parents who couldn't stay out of jail, and just needed an out once he aged out of foster care and his HS band director pointed him in my direction. After the audition the MSgt that ran the Parris Island band begged me not to fuck up getting him in boots, he wanted that young man in his band something terrible. He quickly made it to the Commandant's Own and I'm sure he's successful wherever he is.

The other loved to play but sucked at it, mostly because she was also playing softball for USF and had no time anymore to practice, but she was getting very frustrated in college and needed something else so she wanted to enlist. She didn't get accepted at first, her lack of practice really showed, but later barely "passed" her audition because the other recruits for her instrument washed out of boot camp and they were desperate and willing to take on someone to work with. She did well too, and knew she lucked out getting into the band where she really wanted to be so she worked her ass off to keep it.

All that's to say I get why some join to be in the bands. They love playing, but are smart enough to realize if you aren't in one of the world class orchestras it will never pay the bills. At least in uniform they can do what they love and put food on the table and a roof over their head while doing it.

This right here, you get loan repayment in enlisted.

Meh, at least she found a gig.

Fieldmusics of that caliber get to skip the BS and join with some rank.

From the looks of them I'm guessing "The Presidents Own" were not at PI and don't do PFTs.

Meh, at least she found a gig.

Fieldmusics of that caliber get to skip the BS and join with some rank.

From the looks of them I'm guessing "The Presidents Own" were not at PI and don't do PFTs.
    President’s Own come straight in at SSgt and no, they don’t set foot on Parris Island or play any of the other Marine shit. They’re also typically world class musicians and are the ones who are deciding between London Philharmonic or a uniform.

Let me add insult to injury, then. My brother plays more instruments than I do and he is better at it.

Guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, vocals. Recording and mixing skills using some very redneck solutions (at the time.) Built his own studio, borrowed my electrical expertise to know what he needed there.

He actually had his own recording label for a while and performed, recorded, and produced his own album (prog metal influenced by Iron Maiden, Sonata Arctica (metal band from Finland), Dream Theater.)

The market had dried up and people were going to streaming. Band problems, living in the middle of nowhere, Maine.

I could have been a contender...

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    With what seems to be inevitable in INDOPACOM I hope they are focusing on other shit besides music.

President’s Own come straight in at SSgt and no, they don’t set foot on Parris Island or play any of the other Marine shit. They’re also typically world class musicians and are the ones who are deciding between London Philharmonic or a uniform.
    Guessing it had a “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” policy before there was such a policy.

Reactions: Redmanss
    Mebbe she's in the Navy to pay back the student loans from learning to play the clarinet (at a doctoral level)?

i'd hate to see the student loans on that person, just to play a clarinet in the Navy.

You would be surprised to learn there's LOTS of cash being paid for their education loans. Call a recruiter and ask.

If youve got the money I'm sure you can get a doctorate in most anything. Even philosophy, LOL. The big question is will it pay the rent. No disrespect to her or the Navy, but she's got a doctorate and playing in the Navy. :unsure:

Go see @Redmanss intelligent reply above

Reactions: Redmanss
    She has a Doctorate and is enlisted, WTF.
    The Army band recruits top ranked instrument players and pushes them through the fastest Basic/AIT combo they qualify for.

Ft Benning/Moore used to get tons of kids in 11B slots cause it is the fastest to get in the Army. The AMU used to do the same thing.

Mebbe she's in the Navy to pay back the student loans from learning to play the clarinet (at a doctoral level)?
    Maybe it fills a slot in an orchestra but by itself, solo, I can't think of a more tit worthless instrument then a clarinet

My mom bought one for my older sister to play in the school band, but like every other extracurricular school activity, she took no interest in it.

So it was dumped on me. I was expected to quit football where I was a first string QB and team captain to go to band practice after school to play some fucking gay ass clarinet? It wasn't going to happen.