• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sheep/mountain rifle - caliber and stock?

JamieD

Wolf Precision, Inc.
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Johnstown,pa
www.wolfprecision.net
I'm getting ready for my next project build and I want to ask opinions on a light weight mountain rifle on caliber (.308 bolt face) and stock choices. My first pick is the 7mm-08 and a close second is the .260. I think both make great short action calibers that are capable of taking most game in North America in capable hands. #2 or #3 contour finished at 22", possibly fluted.

The stock is a sticking point. For a funcional and ergonomically correct stock. I'm thinking the McMillan Remington Hunter (Sako 75 design) or the Tactical hunting stock if it's available. Lastly the classic. I also like the m40 design but I don't know if I would pick it for this type of build. It's going to be a show rifle offered as a build choice for custimers.

Thanks in advance,
JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

Re: Sheep/mountain rifle - caliber and stock?

Both the Remington Hunter and Tactical Hunting stock will be a bit large, IMHO, for a small-contoured barrel.

I'd go a #1 or #2 in a Remington Mountain Rifle pattern stock, or a #2 or #3 in a Remington Classic. The Classic's ergo's are fantastic.

Don't hamper a lightweight build with a club-ish stock

What Darren said, plus - take a look at Tom Manners SupraLite and Ultra Lite hunting stocks.

Caliber and barrel profiles are excellent choices.

I've never built a rifle specifically for sheep but I've thought alot about it. The .308 and 7-08 are great and I could live with either one but my first choice would be a .260 for its long, high bc wicked bullets with a flatter trajectory.

They are ugly as hell but a thumbhole stock might be very functional in mountain terrain because you could have a good one handed grasp, not so much for shooting but hanging on for dear life with one had and a death grip on the rifle with the other.

Just my .02 worth.

Thanks all,
I looked at the Manners Supra Lite and Ultra Lite. Very nice. I'm going to give him a call tomm. I'm leaning twards the 7mm-08. I don't know how popular the .260 has grown in the hunting community. It's advantages are there with less recoil and good bullets and I know some silhouette shooters who recently changed over to the .260. Any opinions from you guys who hunted out west?

Thanks,
JamieD

The 260 is very popular in silouhette and highpower. It downs the 500 meter rams just fine. So far I think it's the lowest recoiling round that will flatten them reliably. Highpower shooters have begun to drift away from it because they are (finally) realizing you don't need to kill the paper, just put a hole near the center so lesser 6.5s and 6mm work well.

I haven't hunted with a 260 but have shot a few animals including a 450lb bear with it's balistic equal the 6.5x55 and it is impressive. When I shot LR with one I noticed it would stay 2-3 minutes inside my .308 Palma rifle.

The 260 improved has very impressive balistics and would be a humdinger for sheep size animals.

Here is one and it is foresale.
65LAPUAKIDS2.jpg

Dont overlook a 243. A 243 is a couple hundred ft faster with a 105gr bullet. All the new heavier bullets for 243 are hard to be BC wise! Ounces are pounds and pounds are pain, in the mountains!

Go with a McMillan Sako Hunter model - it's like a sleeker model of the Sako 75.

I have one on my Patriot Arms 30-06 & I'm running a #3 Rock barrel on it.

The rifle is very easy to handle & is light enough to tote up any mountain.

It's the rifle on the bottom in woodland camo. The top rifle has a McMillan Sako 75 stock on it - you can see the difference:

riflepics006.jpg

Those look great. The hunter is on the top of my list. Looks good in those camo colors as well. Do anyone think the 7mm-08 is still king in sheep hunting calibers.

JamieD

Rifles Inc, 300 WM, about a 5 pound sub minute gun, less scope. Built with ADL Rem 700 action saves a bit of weight. With 6x20 scope, right @ 7 pounds. Teflon coated, looks good and shoots better.

b2c928d4.jpg

The 7-08 is the way to go IMO, the two are damn near identical in terms of ballistics, but the 7 packs a little more punch, and has more factory ammo offerings.

i've owned both, i'll take the 7 every day of the week
wink.gif

-Steve

MR Edge,MR contoured PN 1-9" 3-groove @21".

LW's/6x42.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those look great. The hunter is on the top of my list. Looks good in those camo colors as well. Do anyone think the 7mm-08 is still king in sheep hunting calibers.

JamieD
</div></div>

Sheep hunting were? I only ask because these days and times, certain ammo is hard to find and TSA is well known for confiscating ammo from hunters on their way to Alaska. It happens many times a year with hunters flying to Alaska. I have seen ammo forgotten at home, lost in transit from house to Alaska to the field, to dropped in the water.

Hard pressed to find 260, 7-08 easier, 308 easiest.

7-08 has and does every year fell moose here in Alaska so yes, it is capable of taking all game in NA. It would be my choice for Alaska built on the lightest rifle possible for sheep/goat with the shortest barrel too. Mountain hunting in Alaska is tuff and in the Wrangells for sheep and goat, tuffest terrain there is for hunting to include weather. Light and short!

Good luck!

Thanks all,
It's going to be a 7mm-08 with a straight #2 of #3 (fluted if possible) krieger. I'll get some posts up while I'm building it. That will be about 3 to 4 months from now (orders are getting way out there again on stocks and barrels). Should be a fun build thou.

As far as stocks, thinking the Remington Hunter (light Sako 75 design) or Manners Lite.

JamieD

Kreiger assuredly won't flute that svelte of a contour.

I've the Remington and Sako Hunters and there's no way that they are suited for the application you cite.

LW's/6x42.

Hint.

I did one of these lighter weight 7-08 rifles a couple years ago.

Went Ti action, MR edge and Broughton #3 at 22".
It may be my favorite...

I'm still schlepping my 1st Gen Ti 7-08,most everywhere I go.

Something in an LVSF if you can find it...or a Ti as Nobody said.

My LVSF bitch is ergo's,though the barreled action is very sound. Would love to see the LVSF barreled action,offered in 1-8" 223 and 22-250 wearing a grey/black laminate Classic handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My LVSF bitch is ergo's,though the barreled action is very sound. Would love to see the LVSF barreled action,offered in 1-8" 223 and 22-250 wearing a grey/black laminate Classic handle.
</div></div>

The stock is/was a bit unfitting. Had an LVSF in 308, that I hated to have given up. I still keep an eye out for another one, missed a 308 and 7-08 LVSF on the campfire selling for cheap! always late on the buzzer.

As per with anything Remmie,I'll take a 243 or 7-08 greedily over a 308,if only because of throat/mag geometry.

7-08 in the LVSF would be the bees knees.

ETA: ......and something EDGE-based, sans the factory adl of course.

When going light,I prefer svelte contours. Flutes are cool,I've a ton of shit wearing them,but not in this application.

I prefer ADL to BDL,by a large margin...especially when going light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kreiger assuredly won't flute that svelte of a contour.

I've the Remington and Sako Hunters and there's no way that they are suited for the application you cite.

LW's/6x42.

Hint. </div></div>

The lightest Krieger will flute is their #5.

Tagged for longer answer in AM. I would go with the Rem700 TI in 7mm-08. It is already light and as it is a higher price than all the components combined seperatly.....you don't waste time with gunsmithing and if it shoots good then leave it.

Like I said, longer in the AM.

Or SHAMU,284Win,yada,yada.

Glen,
That's a chambering that is going to work it's way into my collection shortly. I have a .264 win mag up for re-barreling. It's a long action but That will just allow me throat it longer.
I seen the pics of the new shop - Congatulations.

JamieD

Good Choice on the 7-08, some 120 tipped tripple shocks at about 3150, should do the job in whatever barrel and stock you put it in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glen,
That's a chambering that is going to work it's way into my collection shortly. I have a .264 win mag up for re-barreling. It's a long action but That will just allow me throat it longer.
I seen the pics of the new shop - Congatulations.

JamieD </div></div>

Though it pains me to say,I'd go 7Remmie on a l/a and suffer the belt.

my 1st choice would be 243 win . 2nd 7-08 or 308 i would look @ a browning , winchester , sako or tikka if money was tight . if you cant find a decent factory stock that is comfy order a manners carbonfiber or mcm edge .

She's going to be a complete build. for a factory gun though a Tikka T-3 lite is quite a rifle (my .243 shoots well). I'll get some posts up when she's under way.

JamieD

Use any 7mm that you like, any of the magnums with Berger bullets are your best bet. Most shots will be 300 to 500 yards due to how the sheep set them selves up in box canyon/meadows and slopes. some shot can be 30 to 40 deg slop angle to target, its easy to shoot over top. best of luck, be patient, positive, and cover as much ground with spike camp. best meat you will ever eat.
C

Don't look past the ol' 284 Winchester. Ballistics are a little better than the 7-08 and closer to the 280 Rem. I like to call it the "original Short Mag"

It sounds like this has already been decided but I am going to put in another +1 for the 7 WSM. You can’t beat the ballistics without going to absurdity. It can get very breezy (dramatic understatement) when you are up in the mountains and I would want the deck stacked in my favor as much as possible. It also provides better down rage energy than the lesser cases or calibers. You want the animal DRT and not have to chase it or potentially risk losing it in an inaccessible area. I realize that shot placement will be the biggest determinant of this, but magnum power will absolutely help.

Just my 2 cents.

So does anyone think that the .260 caliber shooting a bonded bullet like the Nosler Accubond is too light for Mountain Goats?

scan0019-2.jpg

Not me....This Montana Boone & Crockett Mountain Goat was killed quickly and cleanly with one shot from a 22/250. A bullet expending its energy inside the chest cavity of a mountain goat instead of the mountain side after passing through will result in a much quicker kill. IMO always a good idea to kill a goat asap before it free falls off the mountain. I've seen them shot with a lot of different rifles...the higher velocity rifles seem to put them down faster....my 2 cents..

scan0008-8.jpg

This goat was .243'ed at a little over 300 yards. He rolled about 150 down the mountain in loose black shale without getting damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He rolled about 150 down the mountain in loose black shale without getting damaged. </div></div>

Except for his face
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does anyone think that the .260 caliber shooting a bonded bullet like the Nosler Accubond is too light for Mountain Goats? </div></div>

Too light? More like just about right. Light recoil and high bc bullets available, good stuff. Goats are tenacious and don't surrender their life easily but they aren't bullet proof. A 120gr-140gr through the front shoulder will drop them in their tracks and keep them from staggering over a cliff.

Well the plan is to have the .260 as the primairy & a 300 Weatherby as a backup rifle. As you mentioned the .260 has almost no recoil and I have the highest degree of confidence in making a good shot with it.

Sorry if this seems a little off the subject. Having recently moved to the mountains, I now understand the desire for considerable weight reduction.

When building a light-weight mountain climbing rifle, what flavor of optics do you guys use? The rifle is already picked out but it needs glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all,
I looked at the Manners Supra Lite and Ultra Lite. Very nice. I'm going to give him a call tomm. I'm leaning twards the 7mm-08. I don't know how popular the .260 has grown in the hunting community. It's advantages are there with less recoil and good bullets and I know some silhouette shooters who recently changed over to the .260. Any opinions from you guys who hunted out west?

Thanks,
JamieD </div></div>

Jamie-

I ran a "trade study" on the 260 vs. the 7-08 for a friend who was trying to decide which one to go with for an AR10 upper. It wasn't until 1200y that the 7-08 was flatter, and the 260 carries better energy to 1k.

At 1k, the 140's in 6.5 shoot about 2moa flatter and .2-.5 moa less wind.

If you're building it for yourself, there's a lot to be said for common components on your shelf, and this is true for customers as well.

If you're going to offer it for customers, having a 260, 7-08, and 308 reamer on hand is not overly expensive, a single rifle in each one will validate the cost.

I'd say that if you're going to build a "sample" rifle to show off, build it in whatever you want for yourself to shoot. When someone orders a rifle, if you don't have the reamer specifically, those 3 calibers are easy to get reamers for in just a couple days. That's hardly a penalty for a lead time on a semi-custom rifle. Tell the customer up front "I have to order the reamer, it will take 5 extra days to get it, but your rifle will be the first cut on a virgin reamer"

This would instantly bring me on board to wait 5 days...

I think that conventionally styled hunting stocks have some ergonomic benefit. They just come to the point with less fuss and muss.

I think that light weight and strength, coupled with moderate barrel length and good balance are primary goals.

I think that the essence of efficiency is derived with a flatter shooting trajectory, and think that chamberings like the .260 and bullets like the 120 Nosler and 129gr SST will shoot flat, recoil light, retain and deliver energy with major disruption; taking advantage of the rifle's lower mass without delivering any serious punishment.

Optics for hunting have worked well with a 3-9 magnification range. Distances here might suggest upgrading to something like a Weaver V-16; optically adequate, and not so prohibitively costly that the owner becomes leery of taking it out into harm's way. This is an application where rugged rings and bases have some advantage.

Greg

Never hunted sheep but have hunted and killed mulies in some pretty vertical stuff. I can imagine that a rifle that is light, short and fits well would be the ticket when combined with a medium caliber from the 308 sized case family.

Any of them will do fine, magnums are over sold for most applications IMO. The second most important part of the hunt is to be able to make an accurate shot on the game you have found and becoming proficient with a light weight magnum rifle is not something most people do well because of recoil.

have you looked at the "sheep hunter" rifle that Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge is building? I think it would meet you spec's nicely.

Here's my latest rendition of a sheep gun:

700 S/S with a 22" fluted #3 Rock setting in an Edge Classic topped off with a Leupold 2.5.8 with the B&C reticle held in Talley's. Weighs 6lb 9oz empty. 120's at 3150.

015-1.jpg