• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shelf life

x832

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2008
CA.
I have some 4831 and 4895 powder about 6years old.It has been dry and in a cool place.Do you think its still safe or degraded too much on the shelf to safely use?

Re: shelf life

I've got H4831 that's over 30 years old and it still shoots very nicely thank you. Keep it cool and dry and keep shooting, or send it to me..... :-}

I would check for discoloration or odors for powders 20 or so years or older.

I have had a can of extruded powder that contained rust colored dust when opened - this is a sign of deteriation.

Storage conditions are the biggest factor in powder life.

Your storage conditions are ideal.

does it smell like vinegar.if so dump it and burn it.if not use or send it my way.and like the others just keep it in a cool place at all times.in the summer my A/C is running all the time in my reloading room.cannot afford to buy powder all the time.

I've got Cordite powder that is 85 years old that shoots just fine.
I bought several pounds of Hotchkiss Glass Plate Flake from the 1930's that is as good as the day it was made.
As stated above as long as the powder does not have an acrid Oder to it, it should be good. Over the years I've been reloading I have only found WWII Italian powder to be questionable/dangerous.
Also the recent .50BMG demilled powder has been a real problem with corrosive gasses that can bee seen rising from the powder!
But, normaly, if the powder has been stored in a dry ,cool place it should be OK to use.

For teh last 4 years or so, I've been using some pistol and rifle powder that was manufactured in the 1950s...it runs fine, a touch slower than just bought powder, but I sort of expected that.

JeffVN

Thanks guys you have been very helpful I APPRECIATE YOU ALL TAKING THE time to advise.