• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shell holders

bikehe

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2019
Hi all. Yesterday I loaded some 308 for my new henry long ranger. Used a hornady gauge and modified case to check OAL to lands with nosler 168gr BT. Took my 15 rounds to run over magneto speed to start load development and to my surprise non of them chambered at the range. My first mistake not testing them for chambering at home. Anyway took them home thinking it was my seating depth only to work out after after alot of measurements my headspace was out by 004" compared to a factory hornady round and my new 100 cases of factory hornady brass I FL sized . I used a lee 308 FL sizing die and unknown brand shell holder that fitted. Ive got a few shell holders and thought it was the correct one as it fitted the rim perfectly. What I found was the 2 shell holders that fitted the cases nicely had about 004" difference from the internal base where the head sits to the top of the shell holder that contacts the die with some slight overcam. My question is if I buy a lee die should I have also bought a lee shell holder for the press as there seems to be some small differences even if so slight but enough to prevent chambering. Thanks for any advice

First, will a factory Hornady round chamber? If so have you fired a few and measured headspace from these?

To your question I would say yes, shell holder manufacturing variations can occur. I think you’ll find similar post even on variances with Redding competition shell holders that are suppose to be .002 different but not always. You don’t by chance have this set do you? What markings are on the shell holders you are comparing?

Bottom line - if you use the other shell holder that differs by .004 will that piece chamber or how does its headspace vary from factory unfired and fired?

First, your dial caliper is prolly not accurate to make that kind of determination. Second, your measurement technique is prolly flawed.

Dial calipers, unless specifically certified, are only +\-.001” accurate. Then, if you tilt them while taking a depth measurement you will get a false reading. They have to be perfectly square to the shell holder otherwise the result is shit.

A depth micrometer is far better for this. With that said, I have maybe .001” variance among my shell holders: Redding, Lee, RCBS. It’s not .004” and shouldn’t be as manufacturers keep this dimension pretty consistent.

Also, your die setting and lube could be causing this. If you set up your die for slight camover with no case inside, then the die will spring away from the shell holder during sizing. If your lube is insufficient then the die will spring away even more. All of this will increase your shoulder length variance.

I suggest you screw the die in a little more. And then a little more still until the case chambers.

As opposed to shell holder issues I suspect you didn’t adjust the die properly. While die instructions don’t typically mention it the critical dimension in resizing is head space.

I use a Lee shell holder for both RCBS and Lee dies in 308 an RCBS shell holder with Lee dies in 223.

Think I've found the problem. Graye, Yes Sir factory rounds chamber and extract easily. Measured head space new hornady factory loads unfired to my datum line with my Mitutoyo digital calipers 1.621. Factory fired measures @ 1.623. My new never loaded hornady brass after FL resizing measurements vary between 1.6245 -1.625. Some are firm but chamber and other just won't. Im guessing if it were a bolt action they might go home maybe with slight resistance but the henry long ranger with AR style rotary bolt you can feel its tight. I have 2 press shell holders one being marked #2 and the other H1, hornady maybe? There is 003" difference in deck height after measuring again. I used the one with .122 deck height. The other was .125. Reset my die with a slight amount of overcam and got a head space measurements after FL sizing 1.620. Every case chambered like factory. In all my years of reloading never had an issue with press shell holders. Learn something new everday. Ill keep that shell holder with the lee dies now. Thankyou so much for the replies as it helped steer me to solve this as did my head in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graye2
So did you end up with the #2 shell holder? That should be the correct one for a 308, the H1 is for a 22-250 class case.