• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shepherd scopes...Good/Bad

FedsCreek

Grunt
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
Central Florida
Hi,

Has anyone used Shepherd Scopes?What did you like/dislike about them.

I recently bought a 310-P2 that I got a good deal on,and apart from getting behind it yet,I like it pretty good.

Thanks

Re: Shepherd scopes...Good/Bad

Shepherd scopes are just a different approach to ranging and bullet drop compensating. I have used one for years with success. I don't have any other "higher" end scopes to compare the glass to, but it always seemed clear to me and did the job. With practice you can range effectively. Key to success is finding a load that matches the reticle as closely as possible. You will not get it perfect, but if you get it close and know where your bullet impact should be at each range within the 18" circle you will be ok. Of course, a big drawback is not really bieng able to compensate for atmospheric/weather conditions as well as the standard elevation knob. All I'm saying is as with anything, with practice you can effectively use it.
In my experience, my scope has never lost zero and has held up really well. You will hear alot of complaints about quality and customer service, I have not experienced anything like that with mine.

Thanks Matt.Now I am no stranger to sending rounds downrange with precision.I have just never used Shepherd Scopes,and since it is only going to ride on a Pre 64 Model 70 used soley for deer,it seems a good fit.

7MM care to elaberate?

Had one for some 800+ rounds with my .300 Win. Mag. Tested it from point-blank to 1,000 yards. Recorded every shot fired with it.

Didn't like the lack of a windage adjustment knob, and had to raise the 18" circles some 6 clicks of elevation at 1,000 yards to compensate during winter here in Colorado, by unscrewing the elevation caps no less. The circles, even with the ones calibrated with the .308's, always needed tweeking, sort of a "warm-up shot", to figure the difference in elevation point-of-impact. Temperature/altitude plays hell with the elevation, therefore the circles aren't quite accurate. Got sick of holding X number of circles windage and firing. Recorded the scores of every string fired, and wondered if I could beat it with some other glass.

Qual Day included a string at 600 and 1,000 yards, recorded the score, then striped the Shepherd off, and replaced with a tactical riflescope. Another string at 600 and 1,000 yards with the tactical scope and I compared the scores.

All things equal, the tactical scope beat the Shepherd scope by a full 5-8% on the scoring.

Dumped the scope off on E-Bay, and haven't regretted it.

Some pluses include the crosshaired circle up to 300 yards, and I did like that. I could chop up a quarter at 300 yards by adjusting that crosshair and using a 300 yard NRA target, which is also 18". The glass was also determined to be better than the tactical scope that replaced it, the brightness was good. Took a beating, never lost zero. Zeroing was quick, when I didn't screw it up by getting confused. Dan and Glenn Shepherd also endured my endless questions, and were always available and loved to talk shop. I would recommend this scope to an FNG, as it's so easy to use that it wouldn't intimidate someone into not playing with it. My non-shooting friends loved it, 'cause I'd just say, "put the circle that has the 8 next to it on the target, and fire". FNG's will love that simplicity.

If it had tactical knobs, this might be worth owning. I couldn't make one click adjustments like I needed.

Might make a good hunting scope, but for competitions and tactical use, a definite no, as I've experimented in both arenas with the Shepherd, and it just isn't precise enough, too much of "averaging the averages" involved.

Thank you very much Krav for the lengthy detailed response.

It appears it will fill a role then for the rifle I will use it on.Most of my hunting in the south is within 300 yards anyway.I have other rifle/scope combinations for other areas where distances increase substantially.

Thanks all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FedsCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7MM care to elaberate? </div></div>

Sure. They are a piece of shit.... at best.

No worries mate. I got it brand new,and basically for a song so I'm not out anything.I appreciate all who responded.

Maybe I'll dump it on Ebay now,might even make a few bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FedsCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe I'll dump it on Ebay now,might even make a few bucks. </div></div>

Not a bad idea!

I have used the Shepard and they are no worse and no better than any other ballsitic compensating reticle. They have the same draw backs as any of them and they all work reasonable well to 500 to 600 yards past that one has to compensate more to make them work

The best most precise is a scope with a Mil or MOA reticle with turrets that match

for the money, the glass is really crap. Compare it against other scopes in the same price range...

Had one on my .270 that I used for hunting. Didn't care for it as it is caliber specific and once I sold off my .270 I couldn't accurately use it on another rifle w/o adjusting the dope. With-that-said, it will serve you good for hunting purposes if the scope is matched for your caliber rifle but I would not recommend it for tactical/long range precision shooting as it has been pointed out above by previous posts. Good luck.

It was originally only intended to be used on one of my deer rifles anyway. After reading and evaluating,I decided to put it on Ebay.As stated,I got it new, extremely cheap,and I have already had bids over double what I paid,so no skin off of my back.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heron163</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the money, the glass is really crap. Compare it against other scopes in the same price range... </div></div>

I did and I found the glass to be as good are better than others in the same price range YMMV