• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sheridan Wyo Bound!!!

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
Well the family and I have finally gotten a place bought just outside of Sheridan Wyo! We were all born and raised in the High Desert of Oregon. Seeing what Oregon has turned into made us decide to go someplace more RED and less populated. Any suggestions for things to do, and places to visit in the vicinity? We hunt and fish, and the kids play hockey but other than those pastimes we really don't have much knowledge about the region.

Yes. Don’t vote like Oregonians.

I know you think you are conservative. Everyone who comes from a blue state does. You are probably a squishy center right guy on the WY scale. You almost certainly have some work to do.

Enjoy freedom by getting engaged and fight like hell to keep it. There are no more places to run to. This is it.

Well the family and I have finally gotten a place bought just outside of Sheridan Wyo! We were all born and raised in the High Desert of Oregon. Seeing what Oregon has turned into made us decide to go someplace more RED and less populated. Any suggestions for things to do, and places to visit in the vicinity? We hunt and fish, and the kids play hockey but other than those pastimes we really don't have much knowledge about the region.
Go and visit benders world famous pidgeon coup! You will see amazing things that are done to pidgeons and amazing things they can do also!

I would go ahead and get some Wyo plates before you move there. As a lifelong resident of another state being invaded by hordes of blue state people, I immediately loathe whoever I see with an out of state plate and their requisite dumbass vehicle they tend to drive.

To simplify things, get a book or similar source of Wyoming history, from the early trappers, pioneers, Oregon Trail routes, Indian Battles, Pony Express routes, ect...then check out some of the locations. Another thing you may consider, a book named “ Backroads of Wyoming - 8000 miles of Dirt”! Most of it offers loops to drive, suggesting vehicle types for best travel modes. That should keep you busy for about 10 years! 😉

Oh, welcome to Wyoming.....help us preserve our freedoms! memtb

Last edited:
I would go ahead and get some Wyo plates before you move there. As a lifelong resident of another state being invaded by hordes of blue state people, I immediately loathe whoever I see with an out of state plate and their requisite dumbass vehicle they tend to drive.
Yes we plan on that ASAP. Lucky enough we have 4 Ford Diesel Pickups, never driven the Subaru or Prius and hope I quit seeing them for good!

Reactions: jrassy
Yes. Don’t vote like Oregonians.

I know you think you are conservative. Everyone who comes from a blue state does. You are probably a squishy center right guy on the WY scale. You almost certainly have some work to do.

Enjoy freedom by getting engaged and fight like hell to keep it. There are no more places to run to. This is it.
Don't worry, never voted blue on anything, don't ever plan to.

Where were you in Oregon?

Best advice I can give you as a Wyoming native. Don’t try to change things like they were where you came from. This is truly one of the last strongholds of freedom. Be respectful and you will be good.

Oh fuck. No. Please no.

Screw all of you. I told you all to shut up about this place.
He said High Desert. I'm guessing he came from Bend. You will love Bend Republicans. I used to go to gun shops there just to hear the fucked up conversations. He is smart leaving there. More should make the move to Wyoming. Idaho was another place I thought about but just like a big red cock squeezed too hard its turning purple, soon to turn blue.

Reactions: Nomad Farrier
Please try to fit in with the people who've lived there their entire life. Leave your past behind. Don't say some shit like, "What this town needs is a... [insert coffee shop, antique store, woman's skin-care product store, etc.]" Bend to your new home, don't try to bend to it. That's the best way to avoid your new home from turning into your old one. Oh, and drive slowly/respectfully on gravel roads.🙂

Sheridan is a great town, Cody is cool as well. The Buffalo Bill Cody museum is there with a fine gun collection, great art work of the West and lots of Western history. I’ve spent 4 days there so far and I go back in a heartbeat.
Jackson is fine to lots of expensive one of a kind pieces of furniture and expensive everything else. Take the tram to the top of Jackson Hole ski slopes, white water rafting in Jackson, lander. Lotssssss of hiking trails. And wildlife abounds. Put a guard on the front of your track, trade your pickup box for a flatbed and you’ll fit right in.

Hey guys calm down. I totally get why the natives are defensive. Im a defensive native too. You all can rest assured that we won't screw stuff up, we raise horses, cattle, Im a horseshoer, and the kids play hockey. Not to mention hunting and fishing. So Im certain we are further right than a lot of folks.

we raise horses, cattle, Im a horseshoer, and the kids play hockey. Not to mention hunting and fishing. So Im certain we are further right than a lot of folks.
Libs can do all of that too while voting for more government and restrictions. Place yourself on a permanent hiatus on anything politics, including voting, until you truly integrate with Wyomingites. You're nothing but a foreigner until then.

Well I swear I'm next...I'm eyeing Buffalo though...moving soon to the east side of my state then just like a checker board move off to Buffalo I think...perfect place to be when I tell the world and most of the US to f**k off...better soil to be burried in too 😉👍

Libs can do all of that too while voting for more government and restrictions. Place yourself on a permanent hiatus on anything politics, including voting, until you truly integrate with Wyomingites. You're nothing but a foreigner until then.
What the what!? Assumption will get you in trouble my friend.

Being in Sheridan, just remember, buy your major appliances in Billings, MT (no sales tax), and don't get caught coming back across state lines. 😂😂😂

Whenever I'm in Billings, there's always a crap load of Wyoming plates at the Home Depot/Lowes....

I noticed that some of the posts suggested that you visit the well known “tourist traps” of Wyoming. And, while these certainly have some great things to offer......most are not truly Wyoming. To learn the real Wyoming....you have to leave the pavement! memtb

Don't worry, never voted blue on anything, don't ever plan to.
In the vast majority of districts in WY, moderates and liberals know they cannot win an election running as a democrat, so they run as republicans. So it's not enough to just vote for the republican candidate in the general election. The election that matters far more in WY is the primary in August. The general election is more like a formality to confirm the guy who won the republican primary does in fact get the seat, I've seen it many many times. Vet your candidates, look at their voting records, and make sure if you do vote you take the primary very seriously, everyone already knows what the results of the general election will be after that.

The legislature actually looked at a run off style law for the primaries in WY for this reason, I wish they would have gotten it done. What happens so often is the moderates and liberals will have one candidate, and the conservatives will have a couple candidates and the vote gets split in the primary, then the moderate wins. Then in the general election the moderate is running against a left wing wacko so obviously virtually no one is voting for that person.

As far as your original post, if you wanted more to do than hunt and fish, you picked the wrong place to move to. :) haha, kidding, a little. Rodeo is also big here.

Got a classmate that is a dentist in Sheridan since '94. PM me if you want his name for after the move.. Ten Sleep to Sheridan is God's country. On the way to Billings for appliances stop in Hardin for a beer at one of the gazillion bars. I lost a nice pocket knife outside the Four Aces maybe 25 years ago if you could check the lost and found while you are there.

I'm tagging for a report back after the op has made it through his first winter there which I hear ends first week or so of June lol

Reactions: Average guy
image.jpg

Just another beautiful April day at work. And I’m in the low elevation part of the state.

I'm tagging for a report back after the op has made it through his first winter there which I hear ends first week or so of June lol
haha, well he is going to the most mild weather part of the state... so it will probably end in May, haha. Where I grew up, snow in June was actually a fairly common thing, probably 7 years out of 10. Sheridan is quite a bit nicer.

haha, well he is going to the most mild weather part of the state... so it will probably end in May, haha. Where I grew up, snow in June was actually a fairly common thing, probably 7 years out of 10. Sheridan is quite a bit nicer.
June and September snow is common in Torrington, and that’s as mild as it gets in the state other than the baseball sized hail that hits it pretty much every single year. The only thing Sheridan has going for it is being on the leeward side of the Bighorns that keeps down a lot of the snow levels, more a disadvantage if you ask me though.

I'm jealous, I want to move up there to enjoy the mountains, trap, hunt, ride my horses, dog sled, and not deal with the humidity down here.

Welcome.

Please don't invite your friends and family to move here, and enjoy your stay.

Seriously, though, you're kinda gonna be on your own as far as finding hunting and fishing spots. Those are closely guarded secrets to all of us that have lived here for a while. It doesn't help that the woods are crowded with tourons, out of staters during hunting season, and the population increase we are experiencing due to everyone that can work remotely moving here due to the rest of the country having shut down for Covid.

June and September snow is common in Torrington, and that’s as mild as it gets in the state other than the baseball sized hail that hits it pretty much every single year. The only thing Sheridan has going for it is being on the leeward side of the Bighorns that keeps down a lot of the snow levels, more a disadvantage if you ask me though.
That fact also keeps the wind down. What really makes it mild is its super low 3700' elevation. Agreed though, Torrington is very mild, although it gets blazing hot there in the summer.

We’ve got snow predicted for today......I’ll believe it when I see it! Dry doesn’t even begin to describe my area of the state. When I first moved to Wyoming (Kemmerer), I thought it was unbearably dry. Compared to where I now call home now.....it was the Amazon Rain Forests! 😁 I can’t wait until July/August when we’ll likely see many days at 100 plus degrees! It’s been said that, “It’s not Hell.....but, you can see it from here”! 🤪 memtb