• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Sherlock Holmes

Ross0341

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
NY
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUQbmFAE5WI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUQbmFAE5WI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Not the way I would have pictured it being portrayed but I like Downey and it looks like they had fun with the story.

He may be something of a screwup but at least he accepts it and just has fun.

2Door

I can always use more Rachel McAdams. And that looks like a fun film. Nothing that will cause epiphany, but a solid 100min.

mon oh man, being a long time mystery fan(starting with the hardy boys when I was about 8 and moving up to sherlock holmes) I am honesty a bit upset about this one.

This is NOT Sherlock holmes AT ALL.

Looks like a decent flick, but they are basically just calling it Sherlock Holmes for publicity sake.

Holmes was and is not an action-prone character, at most usually you just had Holmes telling Watson(on rare occasions) to have his revolver ready just in case...

Holmes battled his foes with his brains, not brawns.

Interesting character for sure. Kind of a confused manic depressive type for a genius.

I'm with Hannibal on this one - Jeremy Brett is the Sherlock Holmes I grew up with, and the best portrayal of the Great Detective to date. Polished, impatient, egotistical, flawed, quirky and very, very sharp. If you've never seen these and are a Holmes fan they're definitely worth your time.

While Doyle gave Holmes expertise in various fighting forms as mentioned - he didn't make extensive use of them as the trailer appears to show.

All that said, I'll probably go see it as Guy Ritchie movies are generally entertaining.

New approach to the classic, but still I prefer the intellectual approach exemplified by Basil Rathbone...

yea i seen it and thought it could have been better and longer

Not the first time Holmes has been horribly misportrayed, inclding <span style="font-style: italic">Without a Clue</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">The Seven Percent Solution</span>.

Not including the take-offs authored by others, Doyle produced roughly 75 Holmes mysteries for <span style="font-style: italic">The Strand</span> between 1891 and 1927.

His works are essentially reproduced and mangled without restraint these days.

I like the lavish production of the ones starring Matt Frewer, but IMHO, Brett and Rathbone best capture my understanding of the 'real' character.

I expect I'll like this one too; but more as entertainment than as a genuine expansion of the 'real' article.

It's <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> fiction, folks...

Greg

I won't waste my time seeing the movie.
I started reading the stories back in my youth and now enjoy the Brett series on tv.

despite being a steampunk wet-dream, and realizing its a Guy Richie movie, i thought it was great.

dedicated mystery movies are for PBS, if im paying $10 i expect to raise my heart rate a little.

just another chapter in the adaptation of storytelling.
(at least it wasnt brain numbing and filled with giant blue cat people...)

It was better than I expected but one thing I had to get over was how much the main bad guy resembled Jeremy Brett. You are correct thought no one did Sherlock Holmes better than Brett.

There is a bit of sniping lore connected to the Doyle family. Hesketh Prichard (of WWI sniping fame) was a friend of theirs. Prichard was apparently influenced by the Sherlock Holmes stories when he wrote November Joe in 1913, about a First Nation Canadian who employed the science of tracking to solve mysteries.

As an Intelligence officer in WWI, Sir Arthur's son, Kingsley Doyle, ran sniping courses for his unit after attending Prichard's school. Here is an excerpt from a letter from Kingsley to Prichard, as related by Eric Parker:

"... The work of running a brigade course in sniping and observing has kept me pretty close to it, as I was all on my own. ... The General asked me to plan out a course and name the number of men I could take. I had twelve; managed to get a range from 6 to 7 every night; got loophole plates, telescopic sights, and three telescopes, so I was lucky."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the first time Holmes has been horribly misportrayed, inclding <span style="font-style: italic">Without a Clue</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">The Seven Percent Solution</span>.
</div></div>

To be fair, Doyle didn't exactly take the character all that seriously either. I haven't seen the film yet, but personally if Holmes is portrayed as some sort of unstable prick rather than a stoic scholar it would probably be closer to capturing the essence of the character.

Regardless, I've enjoyed RDJr since Air America. Too bad the same can't be said of Mel Gibson.