• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Shilen Barrel NEED OPINION PLEASE!!!!!!

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Guys i am gearing up for a new coyote hunting rifle in 6mmBR. I am Looking at a couple shilen barrels. One barrel is a Match grade for 210$$ and the other is a select match for $270. I know what the difference in grades are but how does this all mean in real world terms. I like accurate rifles and i may even shoot this rifle a bit in local comps. Do i need the select match or will the plain match grade be good enough. Both barrels in question are stainless. Should i save the 60 bucks or should i spend the extra cash. I need to order this barrel pretty quick so if you have an educated opinion please share. thanks Lee

Re: Shilen Barrel NEED OPINION PLEASE!!!!!!

if you aren't going to be shooting BR comps, saving the $60 should be ok. I would guess their match grade should shoot under 1/2 MOA with the right chamber job and action.

DD

I just had a .243, with 10 twist cm Shilen built for coyotes and it shoots better than any rifle I've had for a long time. Didn't bother with break-in.

80 gr. nos. bt @ .010 from lands
45 gr H4350

My buddies chrono has it averaging 3350 with low ES but I don't know if I trust his crony beta

Doubt you would be able to tell an accuracy difference between a Shilen match vs. select match on a yote rifle.

$60 is cheap to make it "perfect" between your ears.

Om not all that worried mentally. I just kinda think along the lines that if i dont need to spend the extra cash then dont. But on the other hand if i need it then i will spend it!! Lee

Don't spend the extra cash unless you are trying to build another BR rig. The chamber job has more potential to affect the accuracy than the difference between their select match and match.

DD

i have worn out a select....and in the process of wearing out another....good ju-ju !

I seriously doubt you will notice any difference in accuracy but $60 in the grand scheme of paying for a rifle set-up is pretty insignificant. If it were me, I would go ahead and get the slightly better barrel just to help keep the odds in my favor of having a good rifle in the end.

Prolly won't notice the diff, but go ahead and spend the $60; so you can sleep at night!
grin.gif

Honestly, I'd go select and not look back on a yote rifle. Chambering job is going to have a larger effect on your accuracy. However, if not spending that extra $60 to have a select match was going to plant a seed of doubt, then go select match.

I'd probably live with the "horrible" accuracy of RP 6BR brass for a yote rifle too....unless you have a 6BR bench rifle. Then when the Lapua brass is too tired for comp/match use it goes to varmint rifle.