• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen barrels?

tomme boy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Iowa 52732
How does everyone like these. I have one coming for my Savage and would like to hear how they have been for you.

Re: Shilen barrels?

Shilen barrels are old-school benchrest barrels and still very well respected.

I'd be more worried about finding a quality smith to do the installation than the quality of a Shilen. And if your smith does find a problem before installation they will take care of you.

My son and myself each have a 28" Shilen Pre Fit 260 barrel on our model 11 rifles and we couldn't ask for anything more. Built the guns ourselves which you can do with a couple of inexpensive tools. Accuracy is incredible, think you'll be very happy with your purchase. Clean every 400 rounds or so and it only takes a couple passes with a brush and a couple patches and ready to go again. Really didn't need it then but just got in to the routine. Did a really careful break in procedure, NONE. Took a couple shots to get 100 zero, took a few shots up a 36" vertical line on a target to check/adjust for vertical tracking, cranked up pre-known amount to check 200 zero, verified that then a couple shots at a 1" hole in a 234 yard target to verify and went to our local 234 yard to 1000 yard match where I think first time out placed 4th out of 70+ shooters.

Great barrels, at least on our guns they are still shooting great, hope you have the same luck with yours.

Topstrap

I built two savages using shilen barrels and I've been really happy with them. They are really easy to install and I've had no issues with mine. They both are more accurate than I am. You should be happy with your purchase.

Hi, I have two Shilen barrels and both have been exceptional. High quality, accurate and I've found long lasting. I would recommend and buy again any day.

tommeboy
i've got a shilen on my 'mule'. a straight taper [heavy] barrel on a savage.i take it along to the range in case i'm having a bad day w/one of my other rifles.cause this one always shoots right!!! good choice and good luck!.........d-1

I have a Shilen on my bench gun. Great barrels. Just be sure and order a "Select Match".
smile.gif

Regards,
Paul

I have ran a few rounds through this. It seems to shoot really well. I will see how long it last. I used 2 loads left over from my last barrel that shot well. Just had to seat the bullets a little deeper. One load with 168 Nosler CC shot a 5 shot .23". The other was with 168 AMAX that shot 5 into a .29" Did not do any kind of break in. Had no copper fouling.

When I got it. I poured a lap and ran it up and down a few times to feel the bore and to get some measurements. Everything was nice and round. No tight or loose spots. This was a select match barrel.

Just got back from the range for initial break-in on a 26" 1:10 .340 neck Shilen Select Match installed as a re-barrel on an FN SPR. Very little fouling and excellent groups while looking for pressure levels with several below .2".

Here's a five shot group at 100 yards out of a shilen barrel in an AR platform

IMG_0608.jpg

I have a Shilen HP 1-10" twist .308 Win. Great barrel, awesome accuracy, well worth the money and extra weight.

Very good barrels. You will be happy with your purchase. My last Shilen was in a 6BR. If conditions were good and I did my part it would shoot in the "2's."

i have installed about ten shilen barrels for the match grade and select match and they have all shot great. I wouldnt have a problem paying another 350 bucks for there select match barrels for my next build.