• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen Trigger Bolt Stop Release Question

Big Bad Ben

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
South Burlington, Vermont
I have a 700 that I just put a Shilen trigger on. I didn't have the original trigger, so I bought a Rifle Basix safety kit and a Remington bolt stop release. Everything works great except the bolt stop release. The pin on the right side of the trigger seems to leave too wide a gap for the thickness of the bolt stop release. Hence it tends to bow out rather than lying flat against the side of the trigger.

The problem is that this keeps the bolt stop spring from being able to work properly. It can't push the bolt stop release back down. I can use the release to remove the bolt no problem. But then if I want it to re-engage I have to dig under it with my fingernail and pull it down manually. I'm worried that this might cause problems for me in the field.

Does anyone know the right solution to this? Should I be using a different bolt stop release other than the Remington? Or is there another safety option besides the Rifle Basix? I suppose I could buy a used, pre-X Mark trigger and steal the safety off of that. I assume that would work. But it seems like kind of a waste.

Any other options would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Re: Shilen Trigger Bolt Stop Release Question

Oops, never mind. I called Rifle Basix and spoke to a very helpful gentleman there. The bolt stop release just needed to be adjusted. Now it works fine.

Ben