• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen Vs. Remington Factory ?

Chance

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2004
South, TX.
In you guys opinion...would you spend the extra money for a Shilen barrel that is CM Rem. Varmint contour .308 1X10 twist that is brand new, or a CM brand new Factory Rem. Varmint contour 1X12 twist .308. Is there a considerable difference between these? In the past dealing with Stainless custom barrels vs. Rem. factory...I believe that there is a big difference, but Chrome Moly...I just don't know? The twist...I am not worried about I have always had good luck with either twist rate, so not a factor. Your opinion is valued...

Thanks,
Chance

Re: Shilen Vs. Remington Factory ?

CM is good to go as well. Shoot just as good as some of the SS i have seen. They are said to have a little longer barrel life, but i dont know how true that is. But comparing a Shilen to a factory remington is like comparing a regular old mustang to a shelby cobra

Well, I have never used Shilen...I always considered them on the lower end of the spectrum as far as custom barrels go.

i used one and had great results with it. No complaints from me

Shilen barrels aren't that low on my spectrum of brand name bbl's. I have had 2 that shot just as good as my 10 twist Hart. I'd say forget about the Remington factory bbl unless you are in a money pinch or something and want the bbl now not being able to wait.

I have a gunsmith friend who uses only Shilen barrels. After he builds the gun, he breaks it in and does a quick load development. His guns shot 1/2in to .140, 5 shots. So I'm thinks chambering, etc is a very important aspect of how the gun shots. By the way most of these weapons are done for Marines from the local base.

Lot of benchrest records have been set with Shilen barrels. Shilen barrels are button barrels and the current trend are for cut rifling, and probably for good reason. Cut rifling is usually regarded as a better method to rifle a barrel.
But no, Shilen barrels are very good barrels, and far better than any remington barrel. Every barrel maker weather it be a remington Shilen Krieger or whom ever can make a lemon barrel from time to time, but hey can also make a real hammer as well. with the custom barrels such as shilen krieger or who ever is more than likely going to shoot very very well. That's the reason you buy a custom barrel. If you can swing it buy the shilen. It WILL shoot better than the remington barrel, CM barrels are ok to. May take a little longer to brake in, and you will have to blue the barrel or put some type of finish on it, but they are fine!! Lee

if you had a full pot of cofee to many that morning it doesnt really matter where you barrel maker sits on a spectrum it is all about the nut behing the trigger. very good results have been obtained from factory barrels.

I really like Shilen barrels I had one with #7 contour on my remington and it lasted 11,948 rounds giving at the end 1.5" at 100 meter when replaced at the beginning of his life he was giving approx 0.28-0.35" at 100 Meter I would have taken one even now if it was possible for me.
after I removed it I gave it to a friend who rechamberd and recrowned it and still shoots it, so maybee I could squeeze it a little

Thanks for all of your replies, I will be going with the Shilen CM barrel. The barrel has to be CM because I am building a M-40 Vietnam era clone. The Shilen will be more correct being that it is 1X10 twist. I appreciate your input it has really helped!

Personally, I wouldn't use a Shilen for anything other than a trotline weight. I believe that their quality has gone to shit over the years and really can't understand a "custom" manufacturer who sells more than one grade of barrel. I prefer the ones that only sell tubes that meet high quality standards.

Based on recent experiences from several shooters, I think you would get no support if you got a "bad" Shilen barrel.

Doesn't Rock Creek make CM barrels?

Not to step on your toes Chance,

but does anyone have any experience with the Match barrels. I'm talking about their match barrels, not their Select Match. I'm asking since we're all talking about Shilen barrels here. Also because I've had a #7 30 cal in chrome moly sitting in my safe for about 5 years. I ended up ordering a bunch of Bartleins and they all showed up at once. So I forgot about this Shilen until last night. I figure I can build a good 300 winnie with it since I have everything else sitting around. Thanks everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I wouldn't use a Shilen for anything other than a trotline weight. I believe that their quality has gone to shit over the years and really can't understand a "custom" manufacturer who sells more than one grade of barrel. I prefer the ones that only sell tubes that meet high quality standards.

Based on recent experiences from several shooters, I think you would get no support if you got a "bad" Shilen barrel.

Doesn't Rock Creek make CM barrels? </div></div>

facts please???? claims are useless without facts and hearsay doesnt count. I just got rid of a rifle with a Shilen tube on it and it shot every bit as good as a GAP or APA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lot of benchrest records have been set with Shilen barrels.

+1
Shilen barrels are very good barrels, and far better than any remington barrel. If you can swing it buy the shilen. It WILL shoot better than the remington barrel, CM barrels are ok to. </div></div>

I've had three. All shot very good. I could stand corrected but i'd doubt ANY remington bbl. ever established a current benchrest record. The discipline of bechrest shooting tends to remove the physical limitations of barrels, actions, etc. as much as possible.

I have had no problems with Shilen tubes. If I had my druthers, I would use a Krieger or Rock, but Shilens are OK. As a note, I have had them rebarrel a couple of rifles and was well pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had no problems with Shilen tubes. </div></div>

+1, I have one on my 300 Win, and used to have a 243 barrel.... both were/are shooters.....

I wouldn't waste my hard-earned money on a button rifled barrel from anybody. If you're going to spend the money to have a barrel installed, get a cut rifled tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't waste my hard-earned money on a button rifled barrel from anybody. If you're going to spend the money to have a barrel installed, get a cut rifled tube. </div></div>

I respect your opinion but that right there is just...Bull!

Know two different people who used Shilen barrels in the past and were pleased until recently. Both had barrels that shouldn't have left the factory and were basically told "tough." While one got a replacement, he was informed it would be the last one. Neither of those customers will be returning.

Again, I prefer to just buy barrels from companies who make only one grade of barrels - not from companies that put tubes that appear to be lapped correctly into a "select match" pile.

I am glad your Shilen shot so well, many of them do.

ok so basically you are basing your opinion on hear say. Shilen is a great barrel, as many hear have a tested to. Id be curious who it was that told your buddies "tough" on their barrels? Doesnt sound like typical Shilen

I have had two shilen match barrels, one in 7mm and a .308 barrel. Both shot great, the 7mm did shoot better than the .308.

Nothing but great service from Shilen.The whole they make two grades of barrels is a poor argument.It's like saying I wont buy a Wilson 1911 because they make different grades.One has nothing to do with the other.Different people have different requirements.

Yes, pure hear say from people I niether know nor trust. The person (same one both times) that told them "tough" was probably just a bum in the parking lot, so I will leave their name protected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel has to be CM because I am building a M-40 Vietnam era clone. The Shilen will be more correct being that it is 1X10 twist. I appreciate your input it has really helped! </div></div>

Wouldn't a Schneider be more correct?

I had a Shilen on one of my 308's. It was a CM #8 on a rifle that I bought used, so I have no idea on the chambering, etc.
It shot as well as most tubes I've. caveat:I'm no BR shooter and bugholes for me from anything are rare (way too much nocotine and caffeine in my life).

I would suggest researching their websites and calling their customer service number, I have had many Shilen barrels and the few I had accuracy issues with were sent back and exchanged by our gunsmith who built hundreds of rifles using Shilen barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel has to be CM because I am building a M-40 Vietnam era clone. The Shilen will be more correct being that it is 1X10 twist. I appreciate your input it has really helped! </div></div>

Wouldn't a Schneider be more correct? </div></div>

I think so, If it were a M-40A1...As far as the original M-40 barrel goes, it was factory Remington barrel...so to answer your question, No. However, I do want Chrome Moly and I don't want to spend the extra change for a Bartlien or Broughton or Schneider etc... Nor do I want the wait attached. I do want something a bit better than factory, and that is were the Shilen comes in to play.

Chance

Doesn't David Tubbs shoot button rifled barrels? Seems to me that i herd that somewhere?? Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm no BR shooter and bugholes for me from anything are rare (way too much nicotine and caffeine in my life). </div></div>

This sounds familiar.... may have to make it my sig.....
wink.gif

7 shots at 100 yards.

Trued 700 action, McMillan A5 pillar and glass bedded, 26'' Shilen 8 twist, Jewell trigger, 20moa Ken Farrell base,Leupold 6.5-20 Mark 4 with mildot reticle.

6mmbr7shots5-31-090001.jpg

6mmBRshilen60001.jpg

I put a Shilen 308 on my Rem 700 and it shoots better than I can. I first put it on at 26" just to test it. Loaded up 45gr varget with 168gr SMK to break in in. The first shots out of it all were touching and it is a standard Match. I shot around 15 rounds that day and all were tight and in a new barrel from Brownells. I took in off and cut it at 20" to use with a suppressor . It still shot better than I can. I can get .5 MOA out to 500yds which is as far as the range is. It also shoots Sub-Sonic 180gr Horn RN 1 MOA and better. It is a 1x10. The 2 Rem factory barrels had so long of a throat that you could not seat the bullet to touch the lands and I know of others. I use the M852 Match reamer and at 2.800 Mag lenth the lands are .040 jump for the 168gr SMK. and it will shoot!

I have owned 2 of the Select Match and a CM Match. Currently I see no real difference between the Match and the SS SM barrels, all 3 have shot wonderfully. I have not shot a Bartlein or a Brux or a Hart, but it's easily worth the money for a contoured CM Shilen barrel. I'd hesitate to say that the Krieger is worth 3x's as much unless you're shooting BR of some sort. For 99%+ of the shooters out there, the Shilen will shoot circles around them.