• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shilen's Remington-Savage Hybrid Actions

G

According to this, Shilen is back in the action/rifle building business with an action that borrows some of the best from both sides.

http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

Shilen Rifles, Inc. Returns to Rifle Manufacturing!

After a hiatus of nearly twenty years, Shilen Rifles, Inc. is proud to announce their return to the rifle manufacturing market. After several years of painstaking research and development, Shilen is now producing complete rifles that will fill the need of any accuracy minded shooter.

Each rifle's foundation is a CNC precision crafted stainless steel action. Actions are available in either a DGR (D@#% Good Repeater) or a DGV (D@#% Good Varminter) configuration. Both are immediately available for right and left-hand shooters. Both actions have a 1.350" diameter and feature 8-40 scope base mounting screw holes. The bolts are spiral fluted, have a floating bolt head, an interchangeable bolt handle knob and are available in most common bolt faces. Each will be offered with a .300" pinned recoil lug for added stability. These actions feature a footprint similar to the Remington Model 700 and will accept many aftermarket components.

assembly.jpg
dgrdgvleather.jpg

bolt.jpg
dgvtarget.jpg

The actions are matched up with legendary, world record breaking Shilen barrels and triggers from Shilen. The barrels feature a 1-1/16" - 20 barrel thread and are attached to the action by a barrel nut. This provides the shooter the ability to have one action for multiple cartridges. With minimal effort, shooters can change from a .223 Remington to a .204 Ruger or a .22-250 to a 6mm BR in a matter of minutes.

Shooters can choose between a sporter weight wood stock or a variety of McMillan fiberglass stocks. The possibilities are nearly endless. The entire package is delivered in a high-quality gun case containing a leather table mat, cleaning rod, bore guide, cleaning solvent, bore patches, patch jag and bore brush.

Initial delivery will be limited to thirty rifles per month. Call 972.875.5318 or send an email to [email protected] for more information. Shilen will start to accept orders on May 1, 2010.

Re: Shilen's Remington-Savage Hybrid Actions

That sounds good. I am curious as to what the pricing will be. I know I really like the Shilen Barrels and have several of them.

Those actions look very similar to the Big Horn Arms actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds good. I am curious as to what the pricing will be. I know I really like the Shilen Barrels and have several of them. </div></div>

They have pricing for complete rifles on their website http://www.shilen.com/pricesCompleteRifles.html

Prices are $3200 to $3600

Jamie

Stiller I belive is building the actions for them. Price is in line with other clones.

Hmm.... Floating bolt head...

Doesn't having a floating bolt head kind of minimize the need for a trued action?

I thought this was a large part of why Savages are relatively accurate out of the box.

Yeah, it does. I think the primary goals were to smooth it out (vs the savage) and be able to quickly swap barrels but those are just guesses. Last time I checked you could get a chambered brux for savage for around 400 ish and put it on yourself, vs 500 ish for a gunsmith or whatever the current going rate is. Anybody have one yet???

looks like a really expensive savage bolt encased in a stiller predator reciever. at their prices you could buy a whole savage target rifle in repeater configuration. but then again that is the same thing you could say about any custom action versus factory action. so that being said somebody go get one test it and give us a review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like a really expensive savage bolt encased in a stiller predator reciever. at their prices you could buy a whole savage target rifle in repeater configuration. but then again that is the same thing you could say about any custom action versus factory action. so that being said somebody go get one test it and give us a review. </div></div>

Exactly, I bought a Savage LRPV 6BR repeater DBM, it has a 6oz-4lbs accutrigger, set mine to 1#, installed a .308 26" bull, and it shoots lights out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why couldn't they make the engraving bigger!!</div></div>

Exactly, I'm more a fan of the subdued approach to marking firearms. The fewer words, the better. Who knows, maybe they got the idea from Savage's big ass warning on the side of the LRPV actions. Then again, if they shoot as well as I expect they do, I guess it doesn't matter.

Would really like to give one of these a try, but that price is still a bit on the proud side of my budget! I could see other manufacturers following suit on this design real quick though.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would really like to give one of these a try, but that price is still a bit on the proud side of my budget! I could see other manufacturers following suit on this design real quick though..... </div></div>

But... but... haven't you heard... that barrel nut is ugly
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nhm16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would really like to give one of these a try, but that price is still a bit on the proud side of my budget! I could see other manufacturers following suit on this design real quick though..... </div></div>

But... but... haven't you heard... that barrel nut is ugly
grin.gif
</div></div>

One man's ugly is another man's beauty ;-)
From my research, the barrel nut gives that extra threads, extra barrel to action lock strength w/o too much extra torque required, extra support in front of recoil lug, Savage F/TR class rifles have 30" bull 1" at muzzle barrels, and they don't need the extra 2" bedding in front recoil lug for support.
Those Savage F/TR have been winning competitions in stock form. Custom action builders are recognizing the benefits of free float bolt heads, BigHorns Arms action have free float bolt heads, dual lugs, second used as gas protection baffle like for the raceway, similar to Savage.
Was there a recent thread on here or Arfcom where a shooter was injured when his friend's rifle had a catastraphic failure due to chamber was opened and marked wrong on the barrel, so shooter used wrong ammo caliber. Some gas & debris came back to shooter face ? I think the gas baffle lug design is a great extra safety ...

I think Shilen's barrel nut & threads are the same as Savage's large shank barrel threads, 1.12 x 20 TPI.

My LRPV 6br converted to 308, as you can see what a stiff action w/ free float head can do in accuracy dept., I installed 308 barrel, and bedded to my McM_A5.

086CTCjpg-1.jpg

12prec_5-1.jpg

12prec_1.jpg

12prec_9-1.jpg

I think there's only 2 kinds of crown available for barrels, either recessed target or 11deg parabolic, mine's the latter, 1.12" at muzzle w/ 11deg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would really like to give one of these a try, but that price is still a bit on the proud side of my budget! I could see other manufacturers following suit on this design real quick though..... </div></div>

Bighorn Actions started before Shilen
smile.gif
It does seem to be a small trend though. Seems that Savage is starting to make some serious market share for themselves.

While I like to see precision action fabricators using technologies I admire, I have to ask; just what problem does the Savage action have that these higher dollar actions actually solve?

I don't mind spending more money when it's justified, but unless there's a true advantage, I'm not paying a cent for the name alone on a 'me too' version. Savage pioneered the technology/market and waded through a lot of crap to get where they are. As far as I'm concerned, unless there's some added benefit, I'm putting my loyalty where the work got done, and the load got carried. I don't advocate jumping on bandwagons once the parade's half over.

FYI, Savage has just intro'd <span style="font-style: italic">another</span> new action system.

This time it's an economy action that even undercuts its own Stevens 200. IMHO, it's a system designed to compete with the 710/770 Rem. Very interesting price point and recoil lug concept.

Greg

Savage seems to continue to make new advancements & improvements, AccuTrigger, the recoil lug wedge (AccuWedge ?) no need for recoil lug bedding job.

If I was a rifle builder, I would not choose or recommend a Savage action cause I can't charge for trigger job cause of AccuTrigger, no re-barreling & lathe work cause user can install their own barrel, and no true-ing work cause of free float bolt head, no need for recoil lug bedding due to AccuWedge.

The only work a rifle builder can do w/ a Savage is fine tuning certain area, but Savage is not an action for rifle builders to make money on.

The action can be improved in its operation and accuracy by sending it to Fred Moreno of Sharp Shooters Supply. Fred lightens the bolt lift, times the trigger/cocking sequence and trues the bolt face as well as laps the lugs. For $125.00 it really improves the operation of the actions. Well worth it to me, but I do agree that Savage does take money out of the gunsmiths pockets.

I still prefer to have a gunsmith that I trust to chamber and thread my barrels, but I have had great success with the pre-fit Shilen's that I have used so far. Sharp Shooter's Supply can make a pre-fit Brux for $405.00 plus shipping, which is a great deal for a excellent rifled barrel.