• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shiloh Sharps

cuirc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2023
    Poughkeepsie n. y.
    I was wondering if the Shiloh Sharps would qualify as a vintage sniper rifle I have one coming with a 10 power scope? I suppose in its time it was used as such. The Camp Perry matches at that time did 1000y yards with the 45-70 cartridge.
    While I am writing this I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a suitable pen to write load information on a cartridge case. Looking for the right load for my 338Lupau it would be convenient to be able to write on he case what the load is but I am concerned about interaction with the brass.

While I am writing this I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a suitable pen to write load information on a cartridge case. Looking for the right load for my 338Lupau it would be convenient to be able to write on he case what the load is but I am concerned about interaction with the brass.

A Sharpie marker works just fine.

So an 1874 model. Only reason I was asking is cause they make a model they never was a true production model, and I’m pretty sure that would have stopped you. The 1874 is one of their long time production guns so if there is a category for that, it gives it a fighting chance?

Someone will be along to correct me shortly

CMP has a rule book for Vintage Sniper matches, I'm pretty sure the focus is WWI up to the late 1950's. They have classes for guns up until about 1979 from what I understand I have not shot a match lately. The matches are at 600yds and 300 yds, two stages.

45-70 drops 326 inches at 600 yards and velocity is down to under 900 FPS, that is quite a rainbow. The problem at a modern rifle range is at long distances the bullet is falling at a very steep angle and might land in the pits.

1706315365508.png

Reactions: mtrmn
    So an 1874 model. Only reason I was asking is cause they make a model they never was a true production model, and I’m pretty sure that would have stopped you. The 1874 is one of their long time production guns so if there is a category for that, it gives it a fighting chance?

Someone will be along to correct me shortly
    I'll be the one to do that only because that's C. Sharps you're thinking of. Shiloh currently offers a '74 and a '77 model, along with a percussion one too. C. Sharps has the semi-nonexistent "1875 model" on their website. Which I think is an acceptable-looking rifle, kinda has the feel of some of the British-made rifles of the same period, but is based on one prototypical model that I've never managed to find a photo of.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    My 1874 is by Wells ( out of Mississippi. Mine is #008 out of about 15 I think) it’s a 45-90. Can’t believe no pictures of it. Will work on hauling it out of the safe. Do have pictures of my daughter and her Highwall. (40-65) at Quigley.
    IMG_0901.jpeg

Last edited:
    I'll be the one to do that only because that's C. Sharps you're thinking of. Shiloh currently offers a '74 and a '77 model, along with a percussion one too. C. Sharps has the semi-nonexistent "1875 model" on their website. Which I think is an acceptable-looking rifle, kinda has the feel of some of the British-made rifles of the same period, but is based on one prototypical model that I've never managed to find a photo of.
    That’s what I was mixed up on. I have a C Sharps 1875. I knew it was never a true production model. I don’t know why I always mix those two up. I’ve posted mine before, but one more time won’t matter
    3CD114D2-0EB7-4829-A636-81A16AFECE03.jpeg

When did you order it, and from where?
    It was ordered from Shiloh Sharps Big Timber Montana in June 2021 They tell me about 2 more months. I have started working up loads to try to ease my frustration on the delay it was suppose to be two years but I guess pandemic etc. Anyway they are nice people to deal with.

Reactions: Modoc
    It was ordered from Shiloh Sharps Big Timber Montana in June 2021 They tell me about 2 more months. I have started working up loads to try to ease my frustration on the delay it was suppose to be two years but I guess pandemic etc. Anyway they are nice people to deal with.

It’s a good place to visit, too!

CMP has a rule book for Vintage Sniper matches, I'm pretty sure the focus is WWI up to the late 1950's. They have classes for guns up until about 1979 from what I understand I have not shot a match lately. The matches are at 600yds and 300 yds, two stages.

45-70 drops 326 inches at 600 yards and velocity is down to under 900 FPS, that is quite a rainbow. The problem at a modern rifle range is at long distances the bullet is falling at a very steep angle and might land in the pits.

View attachment 8333479

Well I am not sure where I will be. This is comparable with a Rugar #1. I have a 30 inch barrel and will start out with IMR 3031 @ 55.4 g and I think (i would have to verify) a 300 g bullet mindful of not exceeding maximum loads.
    In the late 19 centuary the camp perry 1000y match was shot with trapdoors at a lower load.

I bought a brand new in the box Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 45-70 stupid cheap. Gentleman had ordered it decked out, exhibition wood, 34 inch octagon, double set, long range Soule sights, color case, etc, etc. In the years he waited for it he found a similar used one and purchased it. He never even opened the box when his order finally came. My stupid ass sold it years ago. Picked up a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 in similar spec recently.

I bought a brand new in the box Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 45-70 stupid cheap. Gentleman had ordered it decked out, exhibition wood, 34 inch octagon, double set, long range Soule sights, color case, etc, etc. In the years he waited for it he found a similar used one and purchased it. He never even opened the box when his order finally came. My stupid ass sold it years ago. Picked up a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 in similar spec recently.

It’s alright, we all have lapses in judgement. Smokeless powder, 300grn bullets, etc.

Having said that……. You set the bar high!

Well I am not sure where I will be. This is comparable with a Rugar #1. I have a 30 inch barrel and will start out with IMR 3031 @ 55.4 g and I think (i would have to verify) a 300 g bullet mindful of not exceeding maximum loads.
    In the late 19 centuary the camp perry 1000y match was shot with trapdoors at a lower load.
    If you want to shoot long you should probably be using a much bigger bullet than 300 grains. The old dead guys were using very heavy bullets. I’m assuming you have a 45 caliber of some flavor, your bullet should probably be north of 500 grains.

If you want to shoot long you should probably be using a much bigger bullet than 300 grains. The old dead guys were using very heavy bullets. I’m assuming you have a 45 caliber of some flavor, your bullet should probably be north of 500 grains.
    My 45-90 eats 550ish grain lead cast from a brooks mold

No no no, this rifle is the only one in the Shiloh line up that allows smokeless power. It is in all respects a modern rifle actualy very much like a Ruger #1. I checked with Shiloh they told me that the loads for the Ruger #1 could be used for this.

No no no, this rifle is the only one in the Shiloh line up that allows smokeless power. It is in all respects a modern rifle actualy very much like a Ruger #1. I checked with Shiloh they told me that the loads for the Ruger #1 could be used for this.
    P. S. I have one of the Winchester model 86 in 45-90 I use smokeless powder in that also and it works very well no sign of over pressure at all.

Every Shiloh in 45-70 is good for smokeless, that wasn't the point he was making though. What he meant was that cool kids shoot black powder and black powder only. I tend to agree.

Use a fine point Sharpie, to write up your loads, but put them in rows in your ammo boxes sorted with a paper log, the Sharpie is backup/confirmation data. Play it safe with your face.

Every Shiloh in 45-70 is good for smokeless, that wasn't the point he was making though. What he meant was that cool kids shoot black powder and black powder only. I tend to agree.
    Point well taken it is not that I don't like being cool I just have a an aversion to cleanup from Black Powder. To each his own

I found mine in their showroom. In 2008, I was driving back from Camp Perry and planning on dropping off my order for a Montana Roughrider, upgraded wood, escutcheons, fire blued screws, pewter cap, shotgun butt, upgraded finish and in 45-90. Walked in and talking to the ladies, they had one sitting there on the rack. So I exercised my CC and took it home with me.

Big fan of the 1874, so much so that I even convinced my wife that we should drive an hour and a half out of the way on our honeymoon so that I could visit Shiloh and C Sharps.

IMG_4913.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4914.jpeg
    IMG_4916.jpeg

I got a Shiloh 1874 off gunbroker a decade ago and finally got to use it on a bison in 2022. Mine is a 45-70 with a 30” barrel, pewter tip and Lewis and Clark inlaid in silver on the receiver.

IMG_7301.jpeg

IMG_3824.jpeg

Last edited:
    Point well taken it is not that I don't like being cool I just have a an aversion to cleanup from Black Powder. To each his own
    It really isn’t that tough, takes about 15 min, less if you run a damp mop through between shots. Still, they are cool regardless !

It’s alright, we all have lapses in judgement. Smokeless powder, 300grn bullets, etc.

Having said that……. You set the bar high!
    Lol. True. I mostly run a compressed load of FFg and 405-635gr bullets. Also a lot of the Trailboss loads with the same weight bullets. 405s with , if memory serves, 10grs of TB are fabulous plinking loads.

Use a fine point Sharpie, to write up your loads, but put them in rows in your ammo boxes sorted with a paper log, the Sharpie is backup/confirmation data. Play it safe with your face.
    That is the reason I asked about using a marking pen on the cartridge I had a feeling it was not good for the brass.
    Thanks

Big fan of the 1874, so much so that I even convinced my wife that we should drive an hour and a half out of the way on our honeymoon so that I could visit Shiloh and C Sharps.

View attachment 8334321View attachment 8334322View attachment 8334323View attachment 8334324View attachment 8334325

I got a Shiloh 1874 off gunbroker a decade ago and finally got to use it on a bison in 2022. Mine is a 45-70 with a 30” barrel, pewter tip and Lewis and Clark inlaid in silver on the receiver.

View attachment 8334326
    View attachment 8334328
    Very nice. Love a good conversation. While on the Sharps subject I think I lucked out recently when I came on a 50-70 Sharps used it the Indian Wars. Previously it was a 45-70 model carbine complete with the saddle ring , an 1863 used in the Civil War; It came with good documentation of its history. The gun itself is well used but it is fully functional. No finish of the barrel light finish on the action stock OK; I figured it as a 20% value gun and paid a good price for it. I even thought fleetingly about having a new liner put in the barrel. But for what that cost, I could buy another Shiloh carbine which would avoid damaging a relic.

Reactions: Modoc
    My 1874 is by Wells ( out of Mississippi. Mine is #008 out of about 15 I think) it’s a 45-90. Can’t believe no pictures of it. Will work on hauling it out of the safe. Do have pictures of my daughter and her Highwall. (40-65) at Quigley.View attachment 8333667
    I've got Wells #012 and was the one they used for photos on their website when they were in business. They built 33 in all and I met the guy that had it at a silhouette match in kansas years ago.

I've got Wells #012 and was the one they used for photos on their website when they were in business. They built 33 in all and I met the guy that had it at a silhouette match in kansas years ago.
    You are the second person I have met with one. Did not know they built that many. Mine has a full octagonal Douglas barrel and checked pistol grip stock (extra fancy grade).

My 45-90 eats 550ish grain lead cast from a brooks mold
    Ive tried a few times to develop pinking loads with 300 ish grain cast bullets, and every one has been shitty. Ive had positively good results with the heavies. Postells, Creedmoors, and a few custom greasers or paper patch.

Reactions: oldrifleman
    IMG_1444.jpeg

I’m in the middle of fabricating new sights for the shorty.

All are 45-70, and all have the steel shotgun butt plates.
    Top to bottom:
    Shiloh #1, Presentation wood, bone and Charcoal pack hardened receiver, 30” Heavy/half round barrel, schnabel forend and pistol grip, MVA sights.

Shiloh Saddle Rifle, extra fancy wood/hand select wood, accent line cheek, standard color cased receiver, pewter forend, 28” standard octagon. MVA rear sight.

Shiloh Creedmoor Target, Extra fancy/hand select wood, bone and charcoal pack hardened receiver, 26” standard half barrel, ebony schnabel forend, trigger set to 3 lb, all screws timed to 6 and 12 oclock. Bear paw sling swivel.

Waiting on 74/Creedmoor in 40-82 shiloh thats in production as of a month ago. Should be here in a few months.

Also have a 1877 thats been on order for 36 months. A Bill Goodman order, should have had it years ago.

Wood blank for the 1877
    IMG_8771.jpeg

IMG_8772.jpeg

Last edited:
    Ive tried a few times to develop pinking loads with 300 ish grain cast bullets, and every one has been shitty. Ive had positively good results with the heavies. Postells, Creedmoors, and a few custom greasers or paper patch.
    I suspect that, at least with Righteous powder, it takes a heavier bullet to allow a full burn.

Lol, updated my post.

I love the Heavy Half on your No.1.

My No.1 is a very basic rifle with the 30” Heavy Oct. Got it from Goodman about 10yrs ago. It has never been defiled with smokeless powder!