• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shiloh Shepherd Puppy Gets Me Past Grief

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    As some of you may or may not know my Shiloh Shepherd, Dakota, of 12 years passed away three weeks ago which was a very devastating event. I wasn't too keen about getting another Shiloh so soon, but the wife started doing searches to find a breeder. I guess I was kind of with her but not too enthusiastic about jumping on the puppy train so quickly...I lost that discusiion pretty quickly. I didnt fight too hard either. Well, here she is: Kali, a beautiful little eight week old Shiloh Shepherd. After a couple of days of sleepless nights she is now my little fuzzball. Doesn't take too long to melt this old heart.

8 weeks old and 19.2lbs of furry love!

How could you not love such an adorable fuzzball

You cant beat the Shepherd dog at least as far as I am concerned. They are smart, loyal and get along with Kids. Other than that they can be a fur missile if their family is messed with.

How old are your kids we are really wanting to get another dog (ours was a GSD X) but after seeing him go down hill from a brain tumor and then going after my son (not bad but bad enough) I'm a little gun shy. I know 95% of his actions were because of the tumor but all the same it still makes me nervous. We're planning on having another kid in the next couple years and right now were thinking that we should wait till the next kid is a couple years old and can understand things like being gentle and not pulling, but I miss have a dog around!

Good on ya Timbo! I miss my Hunner (my male Shepherd) a lot, as he was an extension of me. Showed the pic of Dakota and the mop with size 10 feet to the boys, that was a bad move...

Stunning breed to say the least.

Mine is a Shiloh Shepherd and they are different than a GSD. I have never had a GSD so I can't comment but I have had two Shilohs and my daughter has two Shilohs too so I am pretty confident about them. I got my first one when my kids were 13,11 and 9 and Dakota was super gentle with them but could be defensive about others that played with my kids. There was an young man who messed with my daughter and I had to physically restrain the dog when this guy came around. I have young nieces that crawled all of the shepherd and he loved kids. I have never had an problem with him but there were situations where a leash is warranted. Big dogs are always a risk but with training and socialization you give them lots of experiences to draw from.

I lost my two GSD last december 11th. After 5 days my wife also took me to a breeder and we picked out two puppies. I didnt want another dog, but she was right, it was the best thing for me.
    Congrats on your new puppy. It was the right thing to do. Although I loved my other two dogs, my friend gave me a new slogan.
    "My favorite dog, is the dog I have right now!"

Good on ya Timbo! I miss my Hunner (my male Shepherd) a lot, as he was an extension of me. Showed the pic of Dakota and the mop with size 10 feet to the boys, that was a bad move...

Stunning breed to say the least.
    Scott, Thanks. It was a hard decision, but then again, I don't think I made it either. I blame my wife!

Good lookin' pup. I haven't heard of the Shiloh, but I'm not too up on Shepards. I learned of the King Shepard after dealing with Long Rifles Inc. Have fun with Kali!

Good lookin' pup. I haven't heard of the Shiloh, but I'm not too up on Shepards. I learned of the King Shepard after dealing with Long Rifles Inc. Have fun with Kali!

The Shiloh Shepherd Registry-TSSR. Here is information on the Shiloh Shepherd in case some people are interested.

Breed Info:

The Shiloh Shepherd was started nearly thirty years ago through an intense breeding program. Many of the top American Show Dogs, top Canadian Champions and some famous German imports from the 1960's, were used to establish the breed.
    During these formative years, information was collected that could be used in improving the hips of these dogs. Dogs with strong recessive factors for bad hips (and other problems) were identified and eliminated from future breeding.

Although it took another two decades before this breed started to stabilize, much progress was being attained. These dogs were consistently being referred to as the "Shilohs" or super-sized German Shepherds.

In 1990, the Federation of International Canines held a board meeting. They chose to register specific dogs that met the new breed standard as Shiloh Shepherds. Shortly thereafter, the American Rare Breed Association accepted them as a Rare Breed and the Shiloh Shepherd was born. In the first season the Shilohs were shown, twenty-six were given points and three finished their Championship. People from all over America were getting excited about the breed.

Although the Shiloh's closely resemble the old German Shepherd Dog many of us remember from childhood, they are very different from most of the modern German Shepherd Dogs we see today. Shiloh breeders emphasize temperament, intelligence, health and hips.

The personality of the Shiloh Shepherd is paramount. Without that special, almost human intelligence, without their fearless courage to protect their home and family, without their unique ability to reason out and solve problems, the Shilohs would be just another dog.

Last edited:
    Wow JSTARSZ, guess your wife got you on the rebound really fast, I'm still on the fence about getting one after loosing mine of 18yrs. Great looking pup!

Wow JSTARSZ, guess your wife got you on the rebound really fast, I'm still on the fence about getting one after loosing mine of 18yrs. Great looking pup!
    she said that moping around wasn't a good look for me.

oh nice, i know you didn't want to get another but i'm glad you did. Dogs really are such stress relievers. Can't wait to get home to mine

It's a big shame to hear that your Shep passed on.

Is she the one in your avatar?

Truly a beautiful puppy. I am sure she will bring much happiness to your family.
    The biggest down side to loving our animals is that we often have to bury them. I have lost dogs, cats and horses. I can tell you that a new pet in the house although not a replacement is the best cure for missing the your pal.

That is a good looking pup, I bought a GSD for my son to grow up with and I don't have to worry about anything when he is outside because the dog is watching him like a hawk.

Its been 7 years since I lost my 14 1/2 year old Golden, man I still miss him. I could never bring myself to get anther, looking back I think your wife is right, happy for you and the new pup.

yep, that was my Dakota. He was such a great dog I still miss him everyday.

I have to say that every time I saw your avatar, that I thought you had an extremely fine looking dog. I had always ment to ask you the breed, and I thank you for making this topic, as I didn't know the breed existed.

Sad set of circumstances that lead you to create it though.