• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shim? Locktite? Or both?

black5.3

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2017
NC
Hey gents,

Got a WOA 18” spr barrel in the other day and im waiting for a few more parts to come in. I definitely am trying to build this upper right the first time and get what I can out of it. So are most of you guys just shimming with shim stock and not locktite just gluing with locktite and not shimming?? Whats the most used method out there that will yield the best results. I already have a sheet of .001” shim stock and would have to pick up some green Locktite if that is the route i go. Thanks guys! I have researched this a little and watched some youtube videos but im wanting to hear from you guys.

Sorry guys maybe I should have clarified.. I’m referring to fitting the barrel extension into the upper receiver. Thanks!

Reactions: drewthebrave
My bcm uppers are already in use.. im about to stick the WOA in a RRA upper that is already my “dmr or spr” rifle and i have a aero upper on the way now that is going to be another 12.5” gun for training.

Lap it, then shim it over locktite if you can. Shimming is superior to using locktite.

Reactions: black5.3
I lapped the Upper receiver face and used the Lok-Tite. Results are still indeterminate because of a combination of health (not just my own), heat, and lockdown.

But I have hope...

Greg

Reactions: camocorvette
I just used Loctite 620. I'm sure that lapping *correctly* would square the receiver face up a bit and possibly aid accuracy...however those that trust the tolerances of a $40 kit made in "Chi-na" that you hook up to your handheld drill, aren't probably doing as much good as they think they are.

I knew that I was only going to be putting a couple together over the course of my lifetime, so some of the more expensive specialty tools were not purchased.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have decided to send 2 upper receivers to paladin machine to have the faces trued before i assemble them. Jury is still out on whether i will use locktite on top of shimming. Idk why but i am kinda leaning toward skipping the locktite and just making sure i shim it good and tight before torquing it down.

Regarding shim material. I see folks mention using stainless shim stock but am curious if regular carbon steel shim stock would be fine or if stainless is a better choice? I have both but a better assortment of thicknesses in carbon steel.

I picked up a small sheet, about 8”x12” from a local machine shop. I guess it is stainless by the appearance of it and how much i have handled it with no rusting.

Aluminum (and other) shim stock...

Do not fear the Lok-Tite...

I am told that once used some, the whole thing can slip enough to remove while still remaining snug.

Next one, I'd like to try some release agent on the extension, and maybe something to leave a slot for the registration pin to slide out through. Using it as s filler?

But really, I just want the damned thing on there for keeps.

Mine is on a sporter upper, which uses no UPK parts. A stripped Upper only costs so much, anyway. So burnt out barrel removal is not actually mandatory; retire the upper intact.

Greg.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Aluminum (and other) shim stock...

Do not fear the Lok-Tite...

I am told that once used some, the whole thing can slip enough to remove while still remaining snug.

Next one, I'd like to try some release agent on the extension, and maybe something to leave a slot for the registration pin to slide out through. Using it as s filler?

But really, I just want the damned thing on there for keeps.

Mine is on a sporter upper, which uses no UPK parts. A stripped Upper only costs so much, anyway. So burnt out barrel removal is not actually mandatory; retire the upper intact.

Greg.

I should be shipping the uppers to Paladin Machine monday hopefully so i know im looking at another week or so before i can possibly reassemble them. I may try to grab some loktite tomorrow!

I should be shipping the uppers to Paladin Machine monday hopefully so i know im looking at another week or so before i can possibly reassemble them. I may try to grab some loktite tomorrow!

What's a good contact/email for them. Thanks.

What's a good contact/email for them. Thanks.

I found out about them by snooping on old threads. I just Googled their name and found them. I even called and talked to a real person right away. Google that name and the address is kershaw SC.

Reactions: winniedonkey
Update in case anyone is interested... got the two uppers back from Paladin Machine a few days ago and they looked great. Got the WOA barrel in one of the uppers this evening and the shim stock was a no go. I guess the fit between the upper and barrel extension were fairly tight already. So I carefully cut the shim stock to fit the extension and had it perfect. I applied green locktite to the barrel extension and in the upper receiver, heat it up fairly hot with the heat gun and for the life of me could not get it to fit in the receiver. Finally after crumpling up the shim stock to the point it would never fit in the receiver, i tossed it to the side and applied a little more green locktite before tapping the barrel into place. It was definitely a snug fit but not really tight. Either way i feel like when the locktite dries it will be bedded nicely. Im letting it set up over night and will hopefully be installing the gas block tomorrow with the help of my borescope and within the next week or so sending some rounds through it.

Got the WOA barrel in one of the uppers this evening and the shim stock was a no go. I guess the fit between the upper and barrel extension were fairly tight already.

FYI, WOA specifically uses an oversized barrel extension to ensure a tight fit into milspec upper receivers. One of the benefits is a tight barrel to receiver fit that helps improve the accuracy/precision of their rifles. A little bit of loctite should be all you need to get the most out of that barrel.

FYI, WOA specifically uses an oversized barrel extension to ensure a tight fit into milspec upper receivers. One of the benefits is a tight barrel to receiver fit that helps improve the accuracy/precision of their rifles. A little bit of loctite should be all you need to get the most out of that barrel.

That makes sense then. I noticed the RRA barrel i pulled out of it had more “slop” in the upper than the WOA did.

Reactions: drewthebrave