• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shimming scope base, help, ideas, thoughts?

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
Ok, I have an early five digit Remington, there is a big difference in the rear bridge height in these rifles and the rifles made after 1974, (.019). Now to upgrade my rifle I bought a Seekins base, why did I buy Seekins, because he responded to my emails about this problem.

Now I have mounted my base and I torqued down the front two screws,(bought a Wheeler kit) figured I would try to do it right and after torquing down the front screws the rear gap is pretty glaring.

Now, I bought a shim kit from Sinclair, the kit comes with 4 .010 shims, 1 005 inch shim and 2 .001 shims. Now do I just use two of the .010 shims and call it good, others have mentioned bedding but its not the shape that wrong, its the height and guys it looks like a gap.

So do I just use two of the .010 shims, torque it down and call it good or what?
Marty

Re: Shimming scope base, help, ideas, thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">others have mentioned bedding but its not the shape that wrong, its the height and guys it looks like a gap.
</div></div>

Marty,

I'm not an expert, but I believe the reason for torquing down the front screws and bedding the gap at the rear is to get a stress free installation.

While shims will fill the gap, its unlikely they will be exactly the correct thickness to fill the gap...If thats the case, once you tighten up all the screws, you will be introducing stress again. How much stess and its likely effect, I don't know..

I would do a bedding job and fill the gap with JB Weld...Once it is solid, add the screws to the bedded portion of the base, and tighten it up.

You want either the standard slow curing JB Weld, or even better, the marine version..Do not use the quick cure type is it is significantly weaker...

Regards,

Peter

If .020 fills the gap, then yes you should be fine.

Bedding the rear would be the best way IMO. It would fill the gap and guarantee a perfect fit.

Use the .01's and bed the base and be done with it. Then your gtg.

Thanks everyone, I will put her aside and give it some thought just wasn't sure how much of a gap bedding could fill within reason.
Marty

I wouldn't worry about filling a .019 gap with bedding compound. If it really bothers you, I could make you a custom base with a .019 lower rear end, but personally I would just use bedding compound.

- Cameron

We have made them for guys before but honestly. Its still a crap shoot. As far as i remember Remington are finished with a belt sander. I have measured quite a few and they are far from being round. If it doesnt fit, the only way to make it perfect to your action is to bed it. whats good enough depends on your expectations. Bottom line is get out and SHOOT>>>>>>>