• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shimming the scope base on a 5R

Bunnyblaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southern IL
I just bought a 5R from a guy on gunbroker. He just send me this email:

"My advice is to purchase from brownells a package of brass shims ($12), now. They'll be there when the rifle is.
The top of a Remington receiver rear mount varies. You will need to shim the rear for your mount. Else when you tighten the screws it will bend the mount....I had one 700 that the attachment holes were out windage so bad I had to slot the weaver base in order to get it on the target, especially with the newer scopes. The rifle you purchased is good windage and only needs vertical change. If you use a 2 piece mt, it exaggerates the difference."

Anyone familiar with this? I haven't ever run into this issue on my rifles, but I don't have lots of them either. I had plans to install a 20 moa 1 piece base.

Thanks

Aaron

Re: Shimming the scope base on a 5R

The guy is probably 75 yrs old when they used to shim things... just buy a base that has a cant built in. and if you feel the receiver is out of spec you can decide to bed it without using shims.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bed it without using shims. </div></div>

I recommend that regardless, since no two machined surfaces ever fit perfect. A properly bedded bases is completely stress-free, which will not only have the base fitting properly, but eliminate vertical stringing caused by improper fit of the base to the receiver.

-matt

I would probably are with you there. Before that email, I was asking him how he broke the rifle in, since he mentioned breaking in the rifle in his gunbroker add. His response was this:

"Many authorities do not believe a match barrel needs a breaking in. Not an authority, am I. But 13 gn Red Dot w/ 170 gn GCSWC cast was most of my shooting. Cleaned every 20 rds. Then jacketed 110 gn with 18 gn 4895 for about 20 rds. No more than 20 rds fired match Federal 168 gn HPBT. Then I stopped."

I've been reloading for a while, but I'm no expert. However, I have to believe he's got the first two loads mixed up with something for his handguns. A WC out of a rifle? With 13 grns of powder? What? Am I missing something?

I use narrow shims of masking tape to shim the mount to be parallel with the barrel or 20 moa tipped down in front.

Then I glass the mount to the receiver.
I have been doing that for 10 years with dozens of rifles.
I used to set it up outside with bore sighting during daylight, and keep the epoxy inside until mixed.

zero.png

It got easier with Leuopld's magnetic bore sighter.
Now I can do it all inside and at night.

Getting a two piece mount co- planar and parallel to each other, either bore parallel or 20moa tipped, still takes skill.
My lazy kids could glass a one piece mount.

BB. The load mentioned will give about 1200-1300 fps with that lead bullet. I've used many 12 grains of Unique with a 200 gr lead for about 1000-1100. Quiet, accurate and deadly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably are with you there. Before that email, I was asking him how he broke the rifle in, since he mentioned breaking in the rifle in his gunbroker add. His response was this:

"Many authorities do not believe a match barrel needs a breaking in. Not an authority, am I. But 13 gn Red Dot w/ 170 gn GCSWC cast was most of my shooting. Cleaned every 20 rds. Then jacketed 110 gn with 18 gn 4895 for about 20 rds. No more than 20 rds fired match Federal 168 gn HPBT. Then I stopped."

I've been reloading for a while, but I'm no expert. However, I have to believe he's got the first two loads mixed up with something for his handguns. A WC out of a rifle? With 13 grns of powder? What? Am I missing something?

</div></div>

The Red Dot load is an old Ackley trick to fireform the cases to his Improved design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably are with you there. Before that email, I was asking him how he broke the rifle in, since he mentioned breaking in the rifle in his gunbroker add. His response was this:

The Red Dot load is an old Ackley trick to fireform the cases to his Improved design.</div></div>
You guys need to get out more!
smile.gif
That Red Dot load is a max cast bullet load....very nice to shoot all day!