• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shims for bottom metal?

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Had my stock re-inletted from hinged floorplate to m5. Guy who did it went too deep on the front pillar. Now when I tighten up the action screws it puts a bind on the bottom metal and can’t get the mag to lock up or the release to work on the bottom metal. If I only tighten the back screw (which seems the right depth) everything works fine and it feeds well. Are there any shims I can bed on the front pillar to raise it up to the right depth?

Why not go back to him and tell him to fix it since he seems to have created this mess? The M5 and similar DBM's work off of a specific pillar depth, the information for which is widely available so there's no reason he should've gone too deep. Hell, most systems come with the pillars so you don't screw it up so either he was inletting a stock that had a bedding block and/or he just didn't know what he was doing.

You could get back up and running by using aluminum tape to shim the front by stacking strips on top of each other. However, I'd view this at temporary only and talk to that guy about fixing it more permanently.

yup. kick dude in nuts. thumb in eye. after stock is fixed of course. I kid

Mistakes do happen to anyone after enough time. Its how folks handle them that separates good from bad.

Reactions: jducos
If dude is a wanker about the stock fix, PM @jducos. He has seen a thing or two.

Im gonna sooner or later about some adjustable cheek pieces on a couple A5s
His reputation for top end work and being classy has been around a long time.

Reactions: jducos
I’d take it back. However if I was to try to fix it I’d use epoxy to build up the front some. Like you said “bed” it.