• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shims on the Viper PST

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
I just want to make sure that I am not going crazy and that I am using the shims correctly. Got the zero on the PST, brought it back home and put the shims in alternating the opening section (open to the back and the next open to the front). I now however when testing go about 2 mils past zero. Is this ok? I understand not perfect return to zero and with knowledge of how far it goes past returning it manually those couple mils isn't bad. Just curious. Wondering how tight also people put those in. I had couple extra shims left over as it seemed fairly tight fitting with the last one i put in.

Re: Shims on the Viper PST

Yes, it's fine. The purpose is so you don't go more than a full turn past your zero. Mine goes about 3.5 mils under. You should not have to force any shims in there, and it sounds like you have it set properly.

I had about six shims left over after setting mine.

Wedge more in there and it will be closer to zero. I don't think you will have a problem by deviating from the strict only across from each other. Mine only goes .3-.4 mils past zero

You have them set correctly. You dont want to get too many in there as they can shift a little as you dial up and down and maybe not let you get all the way back to your zero.

Scott

The way I did mine was to come up .5 mils then add the shims. I could get 2-3 more shims which stops it within .1 or so of zero. Close enough which is really all you need.

When I first put mine in the knob would go over a mil past zero, but after cranking on it a few times something shifted and it stops right at zero or .2-.3 mils past. Worked out pretty well. It will shift some, so once you get them put in, crank the knobs around a few times to see where they end up.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Guess I am not crazy after all. Thanks again!