• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shiny shoes

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
How do you mil/Leo guys get your shoes so shiny for inspection? When I was a kid my grandad showed me about spit and polish. My stepdad did something with polish and a flame while he was serving in Angola in the SA army. What do you guys do?

Re: Shiny shoes

I always used a white cotton t shirt, black polish and a little spit or hot breath to get them to a mirror polish. Takes some time if you're working on a new pair though, you have to build up enough polish to fill in the pores. I'd usually put several layers on by wiping it on and brushing it off to get an initial base layer down.

There are probably hundreds of "tricks". Windex, alcohol, cotton swabs, certain brands of polish, hard pressure, light pressure, etc.. I never found an easy way, it always took time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ajeoshi (I think that's the correct spelling) </div></div>

Come again?

Wax paper to buff the polish? Interesting. I will give it a try.

I always had a problem getting mine nice and inspection ready. I would usually end up paying one of the guys that had it down $10 to $15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ajeoshi (I think that's the correct spelling) </div></div>

Come again? </div></div>

IIRC means uncle in Korean. Little guys running around keeping house for GIs. You had two pairs of boots. While you're at work, Ajeoshi comes in, spit shines the the pair off that day and cleans your quarters. He does all your laundry, dishes, etc. About $35.00 per month, last I remember (early '90s)

polish them normally and then use a piece of panty hose to finish them off (if you are married this will be easy and if you are not you are going to get some looks at wal mart)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always had a problem getting mine nice and inspection ready. I would usually end up paying one of the guys that had it down $10 to $15. </div></div>

^^^This^^^ It worked for me!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish them normally and then use a piece of panty hose to finish them off </div></div>

This is using a nylon grid to scrape the wax off, it is not buffing.

Clean the leather
Clean rag - use a set of surgical gloves underneath or even the corner of a plastic bag so as not to stain your digits
Light the polish in the tin on fire and allow a small puddle to form. Extinguish the flame. Dip the clean rag in the puddle.
Apply a thin layer across the surface of the leather and gently rub in.
Repeat. (clean section of the rag every time / re-light, puddle / thin layer)
Horsehair brush for a quick buff - knock the high spots off.
Clean cotton rag, wet it in hot water, very little finger pressure, circular motion - buff.

Repeat this cycle until the desired <span style="font-weight: bold">depth</span> of shine is obtained.

Final buff with the softest clean, dry cotton cloth you can find - with virtually no pressure.

Now get your 'Shoe Black' and hit the edge of the sole and don't forget the heel.

Time consuming? Yes. However once you get the depth of shine that you want you only need to do one cycle each time you want to pretty them up (unless you put a big
scuff in them).

Good luck

One other important point it to build up a nice thick layer of shoe polish. Once you get a good layer built up it becomes more and more shiny. Put a little water on your shoes when doing your final coat and they helps bring out a shine too. Its a learned art.

Thats pretty much how I did it except when shoes are new or if they got trashed I would put a heavy layer of polish on and hit with lighter to melt into leather. That is light it and throw water right on. This will help build a layer quickly but dont do this multiple times. It just takes off an hour or two of polishing when the shoes dont have a shine already

Just as Mozam stated. The melted wax helps to fill in the pores of the leather. I melt my wax and fill the top tin cover with water.

Just get your stuff and start a dvd, work your shoes for the entire movie, they should be inspection ready by the end.

They may seem "shiny" at about 30 mins, but you still have work to do. You will feel the rag start to glide over the wax when you are getting there.

Screw all that shine work dude! You will never get a better shine than if you just take it to the guy who does it for a living. Of course if you want a pair of 'inspection' boots, go get some corocoran jump boots, break them in for about a week(NO dirt, NO field, just mall, walking around) so that the leather is broken in and the surface ready for real polish work.
clean with alcohol, dry, apply a little Lincoln to bring up the black, then add a little more heated lincoln. The torch is to only melt the wax into the leather or it burnishes the shine. CAUTION though, too much flame witll only dull the finish and it's a waste to shine anyway.
After you brush the surface to a good even shine, use a little water on a soft, lint free cloth and apply a dab of polish on it. small circles and bring up the shine. When you have a good even shine, apply step 1, then step 2 of
Chatanooga Fat's Seal a Shine.
Step 2 is available at USCAV, but for best results you need the entire kit.
For all the work, and time sweating though, if it's just a one day a week inspection set, pay someone else who does it for a living. You will be much better served and can spend the time saved doing other tasks.
As to ahjushi(pronounced Ah duh shee) or Ahjima(Ah jee maaa) they still do all that work in Korea and the cost was still $35 a month in 2000. I wonder if ahjima is still pimpin the fat chick in anjungri ROFLMMFAO!

Black and Decker actually makes a very nice heat gun that should be the centerpiece for an individual shoe shining kit.

Next to the tub of Lincoln wax of course. Still have mine. The big one.
wink.gif

Also check out Da Boot shop, if it still exists. Had a DS friend who used them to great effect.

For those that are adamant regarding lighting the polish -- the easiest and safest way to put out the fire is to put the lid back on.

Me, I found that laying down a thick coat of polish with a cotton cloth and two fingers, followed by water on a cotton cloth and light pressure until the area is dry, works well. The only thing is, light coats using aa cotton cloth and water must be repeated after each wearing to maintain and improve the shine. I like Kiwi black -- YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish them normally and then use a piece of panty hose to finish them off</div></div>

That works for polishing teeth, but shave first, or you'll cause runs.

Seriously, what ever happened to setting down with Kiwi, cotton balls and a lid of water and doing it right.

It takes a bit of work to get a base, but after that its not hard to keep it up.

I can't believe some of these post. That crap wouldnt have cut it in the 82nd in the mid 60s. Hell might as well use a Hersey Bar.

We use to take pride in our spit shines, Guess its a Paratrooper thing.

I'm with ya Kraig, but newbs to polishing need a little assistance until they figure it out. Remember, Johnson's Paste Wax, Kiwi/Lincoln are Skill Level II anyway. I never met an Airborne, a Marine recruit, or a Soldier recruit who could polish a shine from teh beginning without lots of nights of practice. I think what the OP wants is a fast easy so he can look good then forget it...if he wants old school talent, then we can start with the videos

Kraig and Switch,
You have said it all. No shortcuts to getting that "shine" and the self pride that goes with it. We all learned to do it and yes Switch, it is an Airborne thing.

Okay, now I'm offended. I could hang with the best of em in a spit shine showdown but I was never afforded the opportunity to go to airborne school. Sure as hell wasn't for a lack of interest, I tried like hell!
smile.gif

Just a rebuttal...
I mentioned leather luster if one wanted to keep a seperate set for inspections only (I used to).

HOWEVER, I still love the smell, process and final result of a kiwi spit shine as mentioned by kraig. I just don't care for the lack of endurance of said shine on shoes.

That said, jericho....after break in and before polishing, strip the leather with shaving cream. The cheapest shaving cream you can find. This will help prep the leather for the base coat. PM me if you want a painfully long reply about how to strip and polish. I generally post short thoughts in the open forum.
My final .02 to this thread. Maybe more, this is my longest post to date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always had a problem getting mine nice and inspection ready. I would usually end up paying one of the guys that had it down $10 to $15. </div></div>

I'm glad I was not the only one who did that!

Another option. Go to Vietnam and walk around for a while and some little kid will sovenier you a "number one" shine. (meaning free). Of course he'll do one shoe and want you to pay him 200 P to do the other.

Tell him to forget it and walk around until you find another kid that wants to Sovenier you a "number one" shine on the other boot.

I was never able to pull off the second boot, but I had one shiny boot.