• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping a Firearm

Spanky84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
Does anyone know the best way to ship a firearm? Im trying to ship a bolt gun to Deleware this week, i need the cheapeast way..

im doing a rifle trade and im trying to avoid the 35.00 ffl fee ontop of the shipping fee and then paying another 35.00 fee when the new rifle comes...
thanks

Re: Shipping a Firearm

These are the general requirements I go by when shipping a firearm.

A non-licensee wishing to ship a firearm to a licensee needs to do the following:

1. Determine that the licensee will accept a firearm shipped by a non-licensee. Federal law does not require that licensees accept shipments from non-licensees, and many licensees choose not to accept shipments from non-licensees.

2. Determine that the licensee has a valid FFL.

3. Package the gun in a non-descript box.

4. Ship the firearm insured with some form of delivery confirmation.

5. Ship the gun in compliance with the applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations and the USPS or contract carrier's tariff governing such shipments.

Confirming the Status of a Licensee
Some Licensees will not provide a copy of their FFL to non-licensees.
To confirm that a person is a licensee request the:

1. Name under which the license was issued (i.e., can be an individual's name or business name),

2. First three and last five digits of their FFL number (#-##-XXX-XX-XX-#####), and

3. Official premise business and mailing addresses.

This information allows the non-licensee to verify the validity of the FFL using EZCheck.

To do this, go to the EZCheck website; enter in the first three and last five numbers provided by the licensee. The system will respond with a new screen, showing the license number. expiration date, licensee name, trade name, premise address, mailing address:, Letter of Authorization (LOA) issue date, and LOA expiration date.

Print a copy of the EZCheck results and attach it to the bill of sale that is your record that you verified the licensee’s status.

I usually use fedex and it averages around $17-20 for shipping a rifle.

Hope this helps

Since the OP's question seems to be answered, I'll stray a little bit from the topic.... Is there a requirement by the USPS that a firearm must be disassembled to ship? I was always under the impression that USPS just didn't ship firearms, but I've received a couple that were broken down and shipped in a flat-rate box. Also, is there any exception for shipping in state? I assumed that any shipped firearm had to go to an FFL, but once heard someone say they saw a bird tell a guy that she had a rifle shipped to its house disassembled in state.

it's common for USPS to ask that a firearm be made inoperable ... bolt out, slide off on a semi pistol... but I don't think it's a written requirement, I do remember seeing a requirement that you have to let them inspect it to insure it's unloaded, if they wish... and a post master can completely refuse to ship them or impose additional requirements.

as far as federal law is concerned, an unlicensed individual can ship a firearm to another unlicensed individual inside their own state... provided they're both residents of the same state... state law may vary.

as a side note, you can also ship across state lines to yourself, C/O someone else... say if you are planning a hunting trip or match, class, etc... but don't use this exception to ship a rifle to a buyer

and if a manufacturer or gunsmith receives a firearm for repair, they can ship it, or a replacement, back to the individual from whom they received it.

Thanks, that pretty much answers every question I've ever had about shipping a firearm in the U.S.!

I take it that the "No firearms in the mail" posters that I've always seen are simply referring to non-licensed to non-licensed mailing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, that pretty much answers every question I've ever had about shipping a firearm in the U.S.!

I take it that the "No firearms in the mail" posters that I've always seen are simply referring to non-licensed to non-licensed mailing? </div></div>

The "no firearms" refers to handguns being shipped or people who are conceal carrying. Carrying a firearm in a USPS with or without a CFP is illegal unless your LEO and on duty. Handguns have to go UPS or Fedex. Long guns can be shipped USPS, UPS or Fedex.

Now we have conflicting stories here...? My little birdie was talking about a handgun being mailed. Was that not legal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now we have conflicting stories here...? My little birdie was talking about a handgun being mailed. Was that not legal? </div></div>

non licensees can send handguns UPS or FedEx... only licensees can send them USPS... legally... firearms are also required to be sent "adult signature required", doesn't mean stuff doesn't go through... I've gotten firearms in the mailbox, left leaned against the door, handed to whoever was outside at the time w/ no signature... handed to my kids who were coming in the shop to visit...

USPS worries me. They have a sign up in my local post office that states no firearms are allowed on their property, however I've been shipping firearms from there for a long time.

I just tell them it's "machined parts" in the box if they ask...