• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping a handgun

DIESEL758

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
texas, san antonio
I was wondering if I could ship a handgun myself to a FFL without useing my own FFL. I would be shipping from Texas to florida. Can I ship ups or fed ex.

Re: Shipping a handgun

Yes, you can ship a HG to an FFL. I recently shipped a HG to an FFL through FedEx. They require you to ship it overnight and it cost me approximately $80. Just make sure the FFL will receive it from a private party. Legally they can, but some won't.

Yes he will accept it. Did you declare it was a handgun when you shipped with fed ex and what paper work do you need to fill out.

You can ship from UPS as well...it is next day air only and the pistol I shipped from WA to FL a couple of days ago was $95.

Steve

There is no special paperwork or anything with UPS but it does help to have a copy of the recieving FFL handy when you go to ship it.

Nope, no special paperwork with fedex. I did declare it and had a copy of the receiving ffl handy, which fedex didnt need.

Maybe it's different for a dealer but I get handguns in all the time and unless I request next day shipping they all come in 2nd day air or USPS and it's a lot cheaper than 80-95 bucks

It is different for a licensed individual. I am not certain if a DL is required, but the receiving FFL in FL asked me to send a copy of mine. Might ask the person you're sending it to.

Steve

Eta- I shipped a copy of my DL with my phone number and the information for the person who would end up with the gun. This was the first pistol I shipped and UPS did retain a copy of the receiving FFL (they never have with a rifle). As I understand it a non licensed individual can only send next day air through UPS or Fedex. As I said this was my first time shipping a handgun and all of my information came from the gunbroker page on shipping firearms, and was confirmed by reading through UPS policy.

FWIW...

BATF requires that handguns ship via air courier to an FFL.

Some UPS employees insist they go overnight. One UPS guy I recently dealt with claimed it was their policy. I haven't checked.

Others UPS workers will let you ship next/ 2 day air, which is cheaper.

The FFL also has to agree to accept a handgun from a non-license holder, which is their sole discretion.

I just don't feel comfortable sending a copy of my drivers license to somebody in another state, i have already had my identity stolen and DL# used in another state and i had warrants in that state which i have never been it took 6 month before it was cleared up with there police department and before i could renew my DL. If i send through an FFL then nobody will have a copy of my DL except him. is this correct?

im a ffl holder, and if i "say buy a gun off the hide".....i email, fax, or mail my copy of my ffl paper for them to put with the handgun when they ship it (in case ups/fedex opens it, and so the person shipping it knows im a legit ffl holder they're shipping it to"
i've like to have a dl copy, but if i feel comfortable....i'll just request them to pm/email me their name and address. this is just for me to log their info in my logbook.
your dl copy should go nowhere besides in the ffl holder file book. your ss# is never needed in a transfer.

thats the way i do it, and yes...i done ups 2nd day air on handguns many times, and verifed it with my atf assc.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Contact the FFL you're shipping it to. Make sure he will accept from a private party. Make a copy of your DL, CCL, or whatever paperwork he needs. The shipping companies will take your handgun, but you <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> to check with the receiving FFL.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some UPS employees insist they go overnight. One UPS guy I recently dealt with claimed it was their policy. I haven't checked.</div></div>

I just checked UPS website for more info since I am sick of paying $100 to ship handguns overnight... but looks like that is the only way...

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

* <span style="color: #CC0000">Handguns</span>, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only <span style="color: #CC0000">via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services</span>. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
* UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
* UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
* Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
* UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
* Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.
* Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.
* All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Medium and large UPS boxes may be used for smaller shipments being shipped via UPS Express service.
* All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.

About Documentation and Labeling

* The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
* The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not describe the contents. Labeling must be non-descript including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
* When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
* You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
* See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

I pay my FFL $40, he logs the pistol into his books, logs pistol out to receiving FFL, ships the pistol with a copy of his FFL USPS flatrate priority insured for $800 with delivery confirmation all of which costs less than $20, he makes $20 for less than 5 minutes of work, he also has to fill out a special form for the Post Office. Doesn't get any easier and costs way less than UPS or Fed Ex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMcD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pay my FFL $40, he logs the pistol into his books, logs pistol out to receiving FFL, ships the pistol with a copy of his FFL USPS flatrate priority insured for $800 with delivery confirmation all of which costs less than $20, he makes $20 for less than 5 minutes of work, he also has to fill out a special form for the Post Office. Doesn't get any easier and costs way less than UPS or Fed Ex. </div></div>

Great info... i will have to talk to my ffl and see how much it will cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shipped UPS and Fed Ex Ground regularly </div></div>

If it gets lost or stolen and you have to file a claim and they find out you shipped a handgun they will not pay out the insurance on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMcD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shipped UPS and Fed Ex Ground regularly </div></div>

If it gets lost or stolen and you have to file a claim and they find out you shipped a handgun they will not pay out the insurance on it.</div></div>

They will pay the claim if you ship it correctly with them. It's the post office you can't ship a handgun through.

It is my understanding that a ffl holder can ship to another ffl holder any way they want. Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is my understanding that a ffl holder can ship to another ffl holder any way they want. Gary</div></div>

No.

No handguns or ammo in the mail. No matter who you are. That includes gov't agencies and city/state/county departments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is my understanding that a ffl holder can ship to another ffl holder any way they want. Gary</div></div>

No.

No handguns or ammo in the mail. No matter who you are. That includes gov't agencies and city/state/county departments.</div></div>

This is incorrect, USPS allows priority mail shipping for handguns from ffl to ffl.
<span style="font-style: italic">see item 11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers</span>

USPS - Shipping Terms & Conditions - Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms

11.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.

b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

f. Licensed manufacturer and licensed dealer mean, respectively, a manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer of firearms, duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), 18 USC 921, et seq.

g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

11.1.2 Handguns

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.

11.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 11.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e.

11.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee

Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 11.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee's official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.

b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.

c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.

d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e, Authorized Persons.

11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

11.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers

A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 11.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.

11.1.7 FBI Crime Detection Bureaus

Handguns may be mailed without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6 if:

a. Addressed to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or its director, or to the scientific laboratory or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers or officers of a state, territory, or district authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment; or

b. Offered by an authorized agent of the federal government as an official shipment to any qualified addressee in categories 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, or to a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or to a federal agency.

11.2 Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

Adam is correct. An FFL simply needs to have a copy of his FFL on file with the outgoing USPS location and submit a USPS PS form 1508 for the handguns going out in that shipment. I ship via USPS Priority whenever I handle a transfer and cost is a factor and delivery time isn't for the customer.

I know my FFL will ship my gun anyware in the 48, for $45. I belive it breaks down to 20 for him and 25 for the shipping. I feel 45 is way better then 90 so I just go with him. This also get me more buisness with him, and usually a good deal if I have him recive / buy me guns.

Just my thoughts