• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shipping a lathe

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Preparing to ship a Jet 13x40, should I remove it from the base? The pallet I made is 3' wide, far wider than the lathe itself. Was just thinking I would make it very clear on the crate that it is top heavy and which end is the heavy end. It only has to go about 500 miles. I was also going to build a brace that would be attached to the spindle that would prevent rocking forward and back.

I think when you buy a new lathe like this it comes with the bed just bolted to the pallet, but Im not sure if that is just for cost reasons, and it has to travel 6000 miles.

If it was me I would remove it from the base. Try to make foolproof as possible. It is a good idea to make sure that the pallet exceeds the machines dimensions so it cant be damaged by a liftruck or adjacent freight. I would also clearly mark it not to be double stacked or have items stacked on top of it. We ship quite a bit of equipment some of the damage that occurs is head scratching