• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shipping and Prepping Rifle to Send Off for Cerakote and Stock Dip

Fredo0621

Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
NOLA
I am about to send my rifle off to Joint Force Enterprises to get my rifle cerakoted and stock dipped, but I was wondering if there is anything I need to do before shipping it out. I recently cleaned and lubed it. Should I remove the lube or just let them do whatever they need to do. Anything else that would be the smart thing to do before sending it out?
Also, when shipping how should I send it? I do not have a Pelican case or anything built to wistand upset shipping employees. Would a regular gun case or sturdy box with excellent padding work just as well?

I wouldn't worry about removing lube or anything like that. Per the application guidelines from NIC, the metal parts need to be soaked in a degreasing solution and then everything gets baked out in an oven prior to spraying.

As far as shipping, one of those plastic Plano gun cases should be adequate. A Plano case inside a cardboard box would be even better. I'd tape it up well to prevent tampering and then make sure you get enough coverage in case it gets lost or damaged. Of the 3 major shippers (USPS, Fedex, and UPS), I've had the best luck with UPS.

Thanks for the info. I can get the Plano box and wrap it in bubble wrap then box it up. Thanks

Bubble wrap your rifle and put it in the case, put your contact info and work request on paper inside the case, zip tie the case closed in the lock holes or tape the latches closed (they can, do and will pop open) put inside a box and ship.