• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping firearms to Alaska?

AMP!

Three sheets to the wind
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Alaska
Need some advice from guys who have done it. Moving to Fairbanks AK, and I should not transport any of my firearms through Canada. Literally everything I own is on their prohibited list, since I traded my bolts for AR platforms… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve read you can ship them to yourself, via a local FFL in Alaska. However, I’ve never picked up any firearm from an FFL that didn’t require a state issued ID. Also, I know people plan Alaskan hunts and don’t become a resident to ship their rifles out. Is that a temp thing?

I want to spend as little time “naked” as I can, so any info is appreciated!

• Wow
Reactions: Dandy____Aim🚀
If you trust the moving company .mil sends your way. They will do it for free. I shipped a pistol that way when I moved there in 02

You shouldn't need to ship them thru an FFL if they're not changing ownership. I don't believe FEDEX deals with private party firearms anymore. I think UPS is your best bet. Will probably make you pick them up from a main hub, signature required and all that jazz. Would be a good idea to include all your info with them just incase something happens during shipping. (P.S. I'm not a lawyer)

Edit: Here's what the ATF says

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.

The package should be addressed to the owner of the firearm “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in a safe and secure location until the owner of the firearm is available to take physical possession.

Last edited:
If you trust the moving company .mil sends your way. They will do it for free. I shipped a pistol that way when I moved there in 02
I 100% do not trust the moving companies around here. I plan to transport them myself, back to Utah, and ship from there.

Also, maybe just ship the stripped receivers if you're worried about expensive things going missing in the mail. Pack everything else in HHG

Reactions: hino895 and AMP!
Pack them up real well. Send them to YOU with plenty of insurance via USPS. No problem. I have done this a large number of times to and from very little villages.

Our own SSGT Marc Taylor is an FFL and gun dealer in AK (and you can take a Frank/Marc clinic up there w them when they arrive).

Perhaps he can advise you

@Enough Said
I’d definitely be down for some learning. Been training a lot and haven’t shot in a long time.

Reactions: Baron23
Simple solution might be load them into your truck/van, drive to Bellingham Washington, and put them locked inside your vehicle, on the ferry to Alaska. It never stops in Canada and you dont have to talk to anybody. 'd lock them in a JobBox or something. Then when you arrive ou drive your truck off the ferry and have your guns in your possession immediately.

fjb

Sorry maggot the the Alaska ferry stops in prince rupert BC, but have never know them to search cars going to AK. And I live just south of Bellingham and have taken the ferry many times…..
Simple solution might be load them into your truck/van, drive to Bellingham Washington, and put them locked inside your vehicle, on the ferry to Alaska. It never stops in Canada and you dont have to talk to anybody. 'd lock them in a JobBox or something. Then when you arrive ou drive your truck off the ferry and have your guns in your possession immediately.

fjb
I should add I haven’t taken the ferry in about 3 years so I would call just to,be safe

Reactions: Baron23
Sorry maggot the the Alaska ferry stops in prince rupert BC, but have never know them to search cars going to AK. And I live just south of Bellingham and have taken the ferry many times…..

I should add I haven’t taken the ferry in about 3 years so I would call just to,be safe
Ive wanted to do that for a while, I hear its a beautiful trip.

fjb
They don’t run far enough in during the winter. Already called about that. The only ports they stop at still require you to drive through Canada. Plus I was quoted about $2,500 and 3 days for a couple hundred miles. Sadly, that’s only an option in the summer months.

Reactions: Maggot
I can help you with all this for a Small Astronomical Fee. :-]]
Will hold your goods until you arrive. YOU take possession when you get here.

I'm here for all things Alaska.

Taylor
How far are you from Fairbanks?

Most freight back and forth to Alaska goes by ship. Pack them in Job Box, say it's tools and auto parts.

I took the Alaska Marine highway ferry from Bellingham, Wa. to Whittier, Ak. in 2019.
Had firearms in the RV, did not want to go through Canada.
No stops in Canada, just some small costal Alaska towns.
Amazing scenery, and the MV Kennicott had a great restaurant, and a movie theater!
I had to book 6 months in advance, it filled up quickly.
ferry_gulf_route.png

rv_ferry_deck copy.jpg

I took the Alaska Marine highway ferry from Bellingham, Wa. to Whittier, Ak. in 2019.
Had firearms in the RV, did not want to go through Canada.
No stops in Canada, just some small costal Alaska towns.
Amazing scenery, and the MV Kennicott had a great restaurant, and a movie theater!
I had to book 6 months in advance, it filled up quickly.
View attachment 8007465
View attachment 8007466
They can’t get there in the winter, otherwise I’d go this route. They don’t run to Whittier until the spring.

Call Alaska Ammo in Fairbanks. 907-374-8008. Their transfer fee is (was) $20 first gun then $10 each additional at the same time. About as cheap as you’ll find. I don’t work there, I just spend money there.

I think you’ll have to ship from an FFL on your end too, because even though it’s legal UPS and FedEx no longer accept firearms shipments from individuals if I’m not mistaken.

Two transfer fees per gun on top of UPS air freight isn’t cheap.

The best is to fly with them a few at a time as checked luggage. This only really works if you go back to visit family etc, and make enough trips. If you do fly, fly Alaska Airlines. They are the best airline I’ve seen for firearms, and you can take 50 lbs of ammo while all others limit you to 11. Join their Club 49 for Alaska residents using your Alaska address and you get more checked bags free.

Transferring just the lowers through the dealers and mailing the uppers insured USPS would probably save some money.

I don’t know Canadas rules on ammo. If you have much it would be best to palletize it and ship it freight from Washington to Anchorage and have it trucked to Fairbanks. If you do that, maybe you could add some guns? Don’t know if that’s really a good idea. Freight companies can be pretty brutal, although I haven’t had any real problems the few things I’ve had barged up.

The state-issued ID requirement isn’t really a problem if you’re moving there. Just go get one. The dealer will accept the paper temporary one the state gives you immediately. If you’re not changing your drivers license, just get a state ID instead of getting a drivers license.

It’s a good idea anyway, if you’re a hunter. You have to be a resident for a year before you can buy a resident hunting license. A state ID with an issued date is an excellent way to prove you were here 12 months ago…it saved me some hassle back then.

Reactions: AMP!
Check out AlaskaGunShipping.com I used them in August when I drove to AK. Their web site has a lot of good info on how to ship firearms. I had an easy job shipping by USPS because I have a FFL.

Reactions: AMP!
you could hire Juan Valdez and his crack team of donkeys or goats to bring either pure Colombian cocaine or your guns no boarder will keep them out with there salsa music making happy everywhere they go fair pricing and special discounts available

Do you have anyone you trust?

Leave the guns with them, and ship them a few days after you leave so you'll beat the guns to the new address. You can have the guns packaged, boxed, shipping labels, etc. Just need someone you trust to be able to send them.

Overnight/2nd day air is best. Less time in the system to be stolen. I believe pistols are required to go this route anyways.

Ship via USPS to yourself care of someone you know and trust in AK who will keep them for you.

A gun shop could even recieve them for you and not have to do the transfer paperwork if they don't open the boxes. If they don't open the boxes they have not legally taken possession of the firearm and they can't legally open your mail anyway.

Most gunshops are retarded when it comes to the nuances of this law though and won't want to do this.

Maybe Taylor will let you do this, IDK.

Need some advice from guys who have done it. Moving to Fairbanks AK, and I should not transport any of my firearms through Canada. Literally everything I own is on their prohibited list, since I traded my bolts for AR platforms… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve read you can ship them to yourself, via a local FFL in Alaska. However, I’ve never picked up any firearm from an FFL that didn’t require a state issued ID. Also, I know people plan Alaskan hunts and don’t become a resident to ship their rifles out. Is that a temp thing?

I want to spend as little time “naked” as I can, so any info is appreciated!
Good afternoon,
How did you end up moving your stuff?
We will be moving to Fairbanks in September and most probably flying instead of driving through Canada.
I know the movers will move firearms but have to be stripped I believe and they will ship the safe up to 500lbs.
My main issue is ammo, since it’s not allowed in HHG.
any leads on ammo shipping from the lower 48 to Fairbanks?

Thanks

Good afternoon,
How did you end up moving your stuff?
We will be moving to Fairbanks in September and most probably flying instead of driving through Canada.
I know the movers will move firearms but have to be stripped I believe and they will ship the safe up to 500lbs.
My main issue is ammo, since it’s not allowed in HHG.
any leads on ammo shipping from the lower 48 to Fairbanks?

Thanks
If you havent done it, I'd drive, Im itching to do it.

UPS will do it but the weight might make the price prohibitive.. Any chance you could put in one of your vehicles and put the vehicle on the ferry.

If you havent done it, I'd drive, Im itching to do it.

UPS will do it but the weight might make the price prohibitive.. Any chance you could put in one of your vehicles and put the vehicle on the ferry.
We can’t drive, it’llbe late in the season and we’re not willing to take the risk with an infant, might as well have the flights paid for. We wanted to drive otherwise.
The pov will be shipped but it has to be empty according to the moving instructions.
We were thinking about the ferry, but unfortunately this season they will not go through the gulf of alaska, and the trip will terminate in SE alaska, so we’ll have to transit through Canada instead of getting to Valdez or Whittier.
We’re pretty much left with the flying option.
Found out it’s only delta that’s authorized for a PCS move, and delta ships 11lbs per pax, whereas ALASKA allows 50lbs/pax.

So I’m trying to find a hazmat shipper to ship the ammo separately from us.
We’ll be dropping our POV in Seattle area then fly out from there.

Reactions: Maggot