• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shipping insurance and PayPal

Blackwater

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
US
I wanted to start a conversation on buying and selling on this forum when it comes to shipping, shipping insurance and the courier used and PayPal. At what point does the responsibility of the seller end and the responsibility for the buyer begin? I think this is a fairly straightforward answer.

First my stance on the issue. I do not believe the seller is responsible for the package from beginning to end. Obviously if you as the seller package the items like crap and things are damaged, or if you sell a product broken and don't disclose that, you are fully responsible and you're a dirtbag thief. What I am talking about is if the seller follows the deal outlined in the add fully, is prompt and sends the package the way parties agreed, such as USPS priority mail, Fedex, UPS - insured or not insured, then once it is shipped, then the courier has the box and the responsibility to get that box to the buyer is with courier, not the seller. If the package is lost in transit that's the couriers fault not the seller, but is the seller obligated to refund money? EVEN if the package was fully or partially insured, still the responsibility is on the courier and the buyer to recover the insured value with the amount of insurance they purchased, if it was offered and purchased the original deal. Sure maybe the seller needs to file some claim paperwork for the buyer to get his/her money but that I am sure isn't an issues for most.

If a seller does not offer insurance as part of the deal and you do not prompt the seller to add insurance then I believe that is on the buyer. Why would you assume your item is insured if it is not clearly stated in the add? If unsure, then ask! You agreed to a deal, that deal did not include extras you did not pay for or asked for. Most of us are not a business where we have product laying around we can just resend, or charge back to the manufacture.

Now the sticky issue with PayPal. Paying with goods and services vs paying friends and family. So apparently the process for making a claim on PayPay does not differentiate between these two. As soon as a complaint is made, your account is deducted money, without investigation, without due process with either option. PayPal holds the money till the "investigation" is complete (up to 30 days). You go through a long process of providing "evidence" and have to wait for their decision. In the meantime, you are sent an email saying your account will be reviewed because you sold goods and services without paying the fee and your account status will be reviewed. Meaning, one will probably lose PayPal access. So FF is always good to save a little money with a buddy, but you could lose your privilege of use if you do FF with a stranger, even if the buyer chose to pay you FF, chose not to add insurance or more insurance, but then files a claim.

This is a place for fellowship, making friends and support a community of like minded people, no one wants to hurt anyone or make enemies? When a package is lost, it hurts us all and the classified section. My advice, always insure for at least your cost, if you don't it's your risk. So what is your option on this guys?

Reactions: wade2big
Stupid "buyers" never want to pay for insurance and always say there is no need.
But oh how they suddenly forget all the risk they agreed in writing to assume when their precious doesn't arrive.

Most buyers are going to be selfish impatient pricks if something goes wrong.

So the simple moral of the story is do yourself a favour, force the silly buyers to pay for the cost of shipping with full insurance, get a signature required for delivery if it's any substantial amount that you would lose sleep over a "buyer" screwing you over for.

Many carriers will by default pay the shipper (seller of the package), so a decent buyer (if you can find them anymore) would understand the need to file an insurance claim and then once it is resolved and paid, the shipper (seller) can send them back the money.
So the seller (shipper) should be a decent person and do their best to help file the claim as needed and such so that everyone can walk away hopefully back to square one with nobody being out too much (or anything) other than some money tied up for a short bit.

Also if you are seller don't be stupid, ship things with insurance, even if the cheapskate doesn't want to pay for it, either bundle in the cost or find another buyer. Make sure you get a signature if it's expensive.

I always insure anything I sell and ship. If it's a big ticket item I try to price accordingly to cover the insurance.
Its that simple. I figure the cost of insurance into the cost of shipping.

That does leave the responsibility absolutely with you, the seller, because you hold the shipping/insurance ticket. I think the refund depends on the situation and should be discussed with the buyer so everyone ends up satisfied. If the seller can show that its insured and just a matter of time and the buyer wanst to wait, good deal.

I insure everything , I did not realize others did not do the same . Hell, I stress the whole time I watch tracking while the package is in transit . Taking someone's money and hoping they don't ask for insurance so you save a few bucks is a dick move in my opinion .

All I read are endless stories of shippers refusing to honor claims, including USPS and FedEx

Oh that part is kind of true.
Essentially you pay for insurance and then they try to find every excuse in the book to not pay if they mess up.
That being said, if you have everything documented and are willing to call back over and over and fight it up and down and such, then there is a chance of getting some kind of payout.

Reactions: doubloon
I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy the insurance it usually pales in comparison to the cost of the actual item be shipped.

I also take pictures and or video of packing to drop off.
That is really important especially on hig dollar items. I ship a lot of valuable audio equipment and always take photos.

Joined SH in 2013, deleted all past messages, posts lengthy copypasta from 2021 to talk about freight terms

Nothing fishy here

Its that simple. I figure the cost of insurance into the cost of shipping.

That does leave the responsibility absolutely with you, the seller, because you hold the shipping/insurance ticket. I think the refund depends on the situation and should be discussed with the buyer so everyone ends up satisfied. If the seller can show that its insured and just a matter of time and the buyer wanst to wait, good deal.
On an insured item, any insurance proceeds go to the sender. Making insurance optional for the recipient is a tough sell. I have heard of issues where the shipper got the buyers cash AND the insurance proceeds. This is usually when the transaction is done via PP F&F. Pretty easy scam. Insurance protects the seller, not the buyer.

Reactions: Maggot
I am the owner of small online store. I now insure almost all my shipments if they exceed 200 USD or if I cannot afford to loose/replace the item(s) to the client. I am also in the receiving end, so I get shipments from partners/suppliers/manufacturers and I recently had several UPS packages stolen.

When shit do happen, that's where it become interesting.. Nobody, I say nobody takes responsibility. Especially the carriers that don't bother anymore. USPS, UPS, you name it. They cannot care less, and put your claims in limbo. Some clients are dumb-ass as well, and ask you to do stupid stuff, like sending the parcels to a third party, and of course when it turns wrong, will shift all responsibility on you.

The seller guarantees the item is delivered. Period. Full stop.

As a buyer, I don’t care if you insure the package or not. We agreed on a price, use that money as you see fit. Either way, I get my package or a refund if not delivered.

As a seller I can either self insure of pay for insurance. My choice. The shipment is on me until delivery confirmation. If you live in the hood and the package is stolen after delivery, it’s on you. Simple as this.

All I read are endless stories of shippers refusing to honor claims, including USPS and FedEx
UPS just lost a barrel I ordered from Hart. Hart was awesome to deal with and rushed a new barrel thru production for me, even though UPS is totally blowing off the insurance claim. It has been a month since my barrel was lost, I have a new barrel, and UPS has done NOTHING with the claim. Hart expects to just be S.O.L.
Bottom line, I paid for a product from Hart, and they were responsible for getting it to me. Question to the O.P. if this was your barrel, would you just agree that Hart tried to send you the product, and then just pay for another barrel out of your own pocket??
DW

First my stance on the issue. I do not believe the seller is responsible for the package from beginning to end.
You are incorrect.

If a seller does not offer insurance as part of the deal and you do not prompt the seller to add insurance then I believe that is on the buyer.
The seller can insure through the shipper or self insure. Either way he is responsible for the item until delivery and if not delivered, he owes a refund to the buyer.

My advice, always insure for at least your cost, if you don't it's your risk.
As a seller, the decision is yours as you are the one taking the risk. If this is how you feel, then pay the extra money.

BTW, it seems like you owe a man an immediate refund for not getting a package to him. Give him his money back.

You are incorrect.

The seller can insure through the shipper or self insure. Either way he is responsible for the item until delivery and if not delivered, he owes a refund to the buyer.

As a seller, the decision is yours as you are the one taking the risk. If this is how you feel, then pay the extra money.

BTW, it seems like you owe a man an immediate refund for not getting a package to him. Give him his money back.

Now let's see you be a seller and have to put up with demanding buyers all wanting to be little toddlers when something goes wrong.

I'll bet you'll change your tune after the first couple hundred things you ship out.

Nobody intelligent gives "immediate" refunds because then if the carrier finds and delivers the packages too many greedy "buyers" will be more than happy to just say screw you to the seller and be happy to steal stuff that way.

Now let's see you be a seller and have to put up with demanding buyers all wanting to be little toddlers when something goes wrong.

I'll bet you'll change your tune after the first couple hundred things you ship out.

Nobody intelligent gives "immediate" refunds because then if the carrier finds and delivers the packages too many greedy "buyers" will be more than happy to just say screw you to the seller and be happy to steal stuff that way.
I have at least 250 transactions on this site alone over the span of the last few years as a buyer and a seller as a hobbyist dealing with other hobbyists.

As for the immediate refund, that was more picking than anything. The OP’s story is kinda like an “asking for a friend” story. I don’t know the situation or if there even is one. Relax.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Seller responsibilities are to properly pack the agreed upon item and get it to a shipper.

Buyer pays shipping and insurance. Buyer takes the risk of being cheap using PayPal Friends and Family or not paying for insurance to cover replacement.

When I sell something your shipping has insurance on it. When I buy the shipping has insurance, spend the extra $10.

The last thing I bought that was damaged was several boxes of bullets with one broken. Got 43 of 100 out of the broken box. My mail man and his driver dug the bullets out of the mail cart on the truck and retaped the box. I could have made a claim but at the time there were no 230 grain Gold Dot's on the market. I did send the seller an email and a how to for packing bullets.

As a seller its your responsibility to get it to the buyer in the condition it was sold in. If it doesn't, it's on you. You are the one filing the claim if it's lost or damaged. So package it good. Take photos of packaging and box with address. Pay the extra $ for insurance, and on high ticket item do signature required and id probably only sell to a member that's been around for a while

Reactions: NiteQwill