• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping warning--bad bolts

bustin

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2008
First if you ship anything insur it or if someone/company is shipping to you make sure they insure it. Theft of gun parts by UPS employees is on the rise due to the current situation.
A UPS employee somewhere between Kansas City and Memphis or in the memphis hub stole a $7000 shipment of stripped 6.8 AR15 bolts. I'm sure they will end up on Gunbroker, armslist or ebay. They just came out of bead blast and are a dull silver and will begin to rust quickly. They have not been heat treated, if used they will break. They way to tell the difference is the area around the cam pin hole is larger in diameter than a standard AR15 bolt. We are the only company in the country that makes them that way. Do not buy these bolts.

1z6218w20357868306

Pretty plain to me. Someone in the Memphis hub stole the parts
2/20 Arrived in Memphis scanned.
2/21Parts missing box discarded.

Theft in the UPS system is much more common than I would have thought, be careful shipping valuable items.
Thieves Find Guns Easy to Get at UPS By Craig Whitlock
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 24, 1999; Page A01
Even the men convicted of stealing guns from the United Parcel Service distribution center in Landover were surprised by how easy it was to pick them off the conveyor belt and get them out of the building.
They started cautiously, slicing open cardboard boxes addressed to a Prince George's County gun shop, removing one or two handguns and taking them out by hiding them under their clothes.
When nothing happened, the three UPS cargo handlers--one of them a convicted crack dealer--grew bolder, according to affidavits filed in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt. They grabbed entire packages filled with revolvers and semiautomatic pistols, slapped on new address labels and had their employer deliver them home for free.
Before they were arrested by federal agents in March and April, the three UPS workers stole 29 handguns and sold them on the streets for $250 to $350. One of the firearms was used in an armed carjacking less than 36 hours after it was stolen from a UPS shipment. Only eight have been recovered.
Authorities say the UPS case illustrates how--despite increasingly strict controls on gun sales to individuals--package delivery firms, where security is often la

jlg
January 19, 2011, 11:47 AM

I recently made a trade with someone out of state. I shipped him a NIB Bushmaster 97S Carbon-15 Pistol. It's a 7.5" AR15 without a buttstock. They are very hard to get a hold of and not cheap at all.

When the box arrived at the other FFL the gun was missing and a box of fireworks had been put into the box.

Local Police and ATF basically told me that because it is just one gun they probably won't do anything about it.

After just a couple of days UPS called me and said, "We have been unable to find your lost package and since you didn't pay for extra insurance we will be sending you a check for $100." Apparently UPS can steal from you and call it a lost package...even if the package was delivered with the wrong contents.

What angers me more than the loss of $900 is the fact that no one seems to care that a firearm was stolen.:fire: UPS barely put any effort into tracking it down and figured it would just be easier to pay $100 and move on.

Stealing a firearm is a felony. So basically we now have a felon walking around with a firearm that meets almost every "evil" criteria that the government wants to ban (short barrel, flash suppressor, 30-round magazine, pistol grip, detachable magazine)...and nobody cares.

An M92 Krink SBR and Redjacket M92 Suppressor were stolen between 03/06/09 and 03/11-09 in transit with UPS from Redjacket in Baton Rouge to me in Tucson. ATF, Baton Rouge PD and Pima County Sheriff have been all notified.

That all said, I hope they catch the thief and charge the piss out of him, 2 NFA items should be worth 10 years

#4Two United Parcel Service employees were charged with selling stolen firearms from the parking lot of the customer service facility in Landover.

Prosecutors said Jason T. Scott, 26, and Marcus D. Hunter, 23, sold duffel bags full of handguns and semiautomatic rifles, including at least five of nearly two dozen weapons that had been stolen from a gun store in Woodbine, Md., in May, according to court documents filed in federal court in Greenbelt.
Special agents with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives began investigating after they received a tip that Scott was showing off assault-style weapons from the trunk of his blue Toyota Camry at the UPS facility.
"ATF is looking for these firearms," and the serial numbers needed to be removed, Scott told potential buyers, the charging documents said.
#5 More info.

A UPS delivery man charged with stealing a semi-automatic pistol from a local outdoors store while picking up packages admitted to stealing other guns from the business and selling the weapons, police reported.

Glenroy Ford, 33, of Danbury, was charged Tuesday and charged with theft of a firearm and fourth-degree larceny. State and local police are still investigating Ford's other alleged firearms thefts and more charges may be pending.

Ford pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Norwalk Superior Court to the charges. His bond was lowered from $100,000 to $50,000 by Judge Burton Kaplan.

The suspect was arrested in a joint effort by state and local police after allegedly taking a Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistol from Forest and Field, an outdoor specialty store that sells guns.

In a statement to police, Ford admitted to stealing at least two more guns from Forest and Field and selling one of the weapons to a family member and another to a friend, according to the affidavit.

Police said management at Forest and Field noticed a pistol was missing after going into a storage room to retrieve the gun for the customer who had ordered it. The theft was reported to police and the serial numbers on the gun were recorded in the National Crime Information System.

Managers and staff reviewed surveillance tapes of the storage room and determined no one had been into the room where the gun was stored from Nov. 29 –– when the gun was placed in storage –– to Dec. 2 –– when Ford came to pick up packages for UPS.

Ford allegedly appears on the video walking to the back of the storage room –– away from where the UPS packages were stacked in the area where the Glock was placed, according to court documents.

The rack where the gun was placed is out of the view of the surveillance camera, according to the affidavit.

Management at Forest and Field turned the video over to police, police said.

Members of the Statewide Narcotics Task Force met with Norwalk police, as they were conducting a simultaneous investigation of Ford concerning a similar incident.

State police applied for a search and seizure warrant for Ford's Danbury home, where they allegedly found the case to a Glock with serial numbers on it that matched those of the stolen gun, according to the affidavit.

At the same time as state police searched Ford's house, Norwalk police and state police executed a search and seizure warrant on the suspect while he was walking to his vehicle outside of the UPS facility on 190 Martin Luther King Drive.

Police searched Ford's 1993 Honda Accord but nothing was recovered from the vehicle, according to the affidavit.

Employees at Forest and Field could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Last edited:
I recently had to deal with USPS misplacing a package lately. I was sure it was gone for good...and contained a JP bolt. Eventually, it showed up but went from my post office in MT to CO and back. Anything of value goes insured, which if you think about it, is another incentive for shipping companies to allow theft...just enough so we'll all pay a few extra bucks on every shipment.

That is aweful. Thank you for the reminder to insure. So sorry to here of your loss and troubles and these thefts.

I recently had to deal with USPS misplacing a package lately. I was sure it was gone for good...and contained a JP bolt. Eventually, it showed up but went from my post office in MT to CO and back. Anything of value goes insured, which if you think about it, is another incentive for shipping companies to allow theft...just enough so we'll all pay a few extra bucks on every shipment.

It's actually "old style protection" money.

Protection from their employees stealing your property.

Theft by their own employees is why we have been paying for overnight shipping on handguns for so long. It has nothing to do with any federal regulation; their employees just can't keep from stealing them. The entire shipping industry is full of rotten eggs though.

i have ordered ar forends from samson, and when they arrived i couldn't believe the package,ar15 pictures all over the box!
i still can't believe they made it.
i called and expressed some concern and the lady on the other end says "we have always shipped them that way never really had a issue".....wow! was my only response.so if ordering one and it don't show,don't be surprised.

I'm a little on the paranoid side. When I ship guns in their boxes to my gunsmith, I cover everything on the box that states there is a firearm enclosed. I also ship it to the gunsmith's name, not "__________ Gunsmithing".

I'm still waiting for a one magazine from Brownell s. According to USPS tracking it was due 3 days ago. It was probably in a plastic mailing bag. Sticky fingers USPS personnel.

a buddy of mine recently shipped some brass he sold. the box weighed 17lbs when shipped. when it arrived it weighed 10lbs. somewhere along the way somebody opened it up and helped there selves to a little free brass. it was shipped usps so its not only ups.

five years ago, when i bought my PSS i purchased it from a dealer in Kansas. He's good people. Manny sent the rifle UPS. neither of us thought it'd be an issue. It should have arrived in iowa in 4 days. after sitting at the lenexa, kansas hub for over 36 hours i inquired what with UPS and security found an employee trying to leave the building with my rifle. I was told by the ranking officer for security at UPS that if you are going to ship firearms, any firearms or parts, you need to next day air it. those that arent suffer from a 75% theft rate. That was five years ago when demand is not nearly what it is now.

-Paulus

I was told by a dealer that you *can* pay UPS for insurance, but that they won't honor it. I haven't verified that, yet.

The same dealer was expecting a rifle and, when it didn't show up on schedule, called UPS and was told that the package had been lost. He simply told the manager that it was an "assault weapon" and that the next person he'd hear from would be the BATF. About an hour later, the manager called to say that the box had been found. The labels had "fallen off." This is in Colorado Springs.

Heck, it takes a small tactical nuke to get those UPS labels off.

I guess overnight is the only semi-safe way to go. Just more profit for the shipping companies.

Richard

I shipped a receiver in 1 box and a barrel in another to SAC recently.

Feb 4th it was dropped in USPS Woodlyn, PA and hit the Philadelphia Sort facility the same day. Both of them were in Philadelphia Sort Facility that night
Feb 6th the receiver (insured for $1400) arrived at Mark's shop
March 2nd the barrel arrived after I went to the post office and complained twice. You can't put in a "lost package" notice for 30days. The tube had been opened up, the dirt bag probably figured out it was a lot harder to sell a barrel blank than a finished barrel.

Curious as to why some/most here think overnight delivery is a safer way to go?

Is it because they have less time to steal it... less transfers than if shipped via ground?

"addressed to a Prince George's County gun shop"

I've noticed many gun and technology companies are using acronyms or even pseudonyms in order to not advertise what is in the box.

Curious as to why some/most here think overnight delivery is a safer way to go?

Is it because they have less time to steal it... less transfers than if shipped via ground?

Moves through the system so fast and doesn't sit in a staging area long enough for anyone to get into it. Typically anyways.

L

I just paid as much for insurance as I did to ship the rifle with my local PakMail through FedEx. It arrived safe and sound. I don't think it would've made it past store without the insurance. Once the store owner saw it he said I saved him from having to use a blue pill when he went home.

I ordered some silver eagles from the mint that were insured by them, got a notice in my po box to p/u a box at the counter. Gave them my paper and they could not find the box. Got on the phone to the USPS inspector's office and raised hell. two days later the po called me saying my box was in to come pick it up. The inspector found that an employee had hidden it in a corner and didn't know there was a camera watching that room. All he got was fired because the box never left the property. It is sad we have to pay it no matter what we ship. These shippers could care less and yes they bulk on paying insurance claim's. mm