• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shmedium game changer, heavy vs regular?

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
I’m planning to buy a Game Changer Shmedium shooting rest. It seems there are many discussions about the heavy sand vs the lite bag, but not much info on the regular weight bag.

Is anyone using the regular weight bag? How much does it differ from the heavy bag? What is the regular bag filled with?

Thanks.

What you plan on using it for makes a difference.

But in general, the heavy bag is most stable…but it’s heavy. Some don’t like the extra weight and opt for different options. That’s your choice. For those packing for hunting or a hunting match, a lighter bag makes a big difference.

I believe that weights are listed on Armageddon Gear’s website, for comparison.

Reactions: DubfromGA
it's not really a shooting rest. it's a front support bag used primarily (only?) for PRS style positional shooting

so if that's your intended use then heavy all the way

if it's for something else then it's gotta be git-lite or similar filling. a 10# pound doesn't exactly belong in a pack that's getting carried up and down and everywhere

it's not really a shooting rest. it's a front support bag used primarily (only?) for PRS style positional shooting

so if that's your intended use then heavy all the way

if it's for something else then it's gotta be git-lite or similar filling. a 10# pound doesn't exactly belong in a pack that's getting carried up and down and everywhere
Not to be picky, but many a person at matches will use the heavy bag as a rear rest on occasion. With a heavy bag like that, one tends to carry fewer bags.

Reactions: b6graham
Not to be picky, but many a person at matches will use the heavy bag as a rear rest on occasion. With a heavy bag like that, one tends to carry fewer bags.
oh you're completely right. i used one yesterday in a match as my only bag. but i wouldn't pick a 10# heavy fill, or even a regular fill, as a primary rear bag. there are many better options with more utility at a fraction of the weight. but i don't like carrying more than i need to in my pack.

Reactions: lash
I’m sorry, I just realized I didn’t give any context to my question about the shooting rests.
I’m just getting started in PRS Rimfire shooting and don’t currently own any rests/bags.

The general consensus seems to be the Shmedium is a must have. I am also interested in a rear bag to use when bench or prone practicing with a bipod up front.

The heavy bag just seemed, well, a little heavy so I was wondering about the medium weight. I couldn’t find its weight on the website. It just says 8.5 lbs. is that the regular or heavy bag?

Is there a general consensus favorite for a rear bag when prone or bench shooting with the rifle on a bipod?

The gun is a Bergara B-14R, if that makes a difference.

When it comes to bags, there is rarely my a full consensus. Just starting out and with your current preference, go with the medium. If you get sucked into the sport, you’ll eventually have more than 1 bag. More like 4-8.

Rear bags are very personal too. I like the Underground Precision bags for bench or prone. Some prefer rabbit ear rear bags on a bench and with good reason. A lot depends upon how much time you spend in a particular pursuit.

I’m sorry, I just realized I didn’t give any context to my question about the shooting rests.
I’m just getting started in PRS Rimfire shooting and don’t currently own any rests/bags.

The general consensus seems to be the Shmedium is a must have. I am also interested in a rear bag to use when bench or prone practicing with a bipod up front.

The heavy bag just seemed, well, a little heavy so I was wondering about the medium weight. I couldn’t find its weight on the website. It just says 8.5 lbs. is that the regular or heavy bag?

Is there a general consensus favorite for a rear bag when prone or bench shooting with the rifle on a bipod?

Almost everyone runs the sand fill (heavy). I can't say that I've ever even seen a schmedium with the medium plastic bead fill.

The sand filled schmedium will come from Armageddon gear with a bit too much sand in it. You'll want to let some out to make it a bit more pliable. The right amount of sand fill is about where you can almost squeeze the V of the bag against the top of the bag in between your fingers, which ends up being around 8 or 8.5lb in total weight.

A game changer is a perfectly capable rear bag for prone or bench shooting. I don't think I've used anything besides a game changer for a rear bag in the last 5 years.

Almost everyone runs the sand fill (heavy). I can't say that I've ever even seen a schmedium with the medium plastic bead fill.

The sand filled schmedium will come from Armageddon gear with a bit too much sand in it. You'll want to let some out to make it a bit more pliable. The right amount of sand fill is about where you can almost squeeze the V of the bag against the top of the bag in between your fingers, which ends up being around 8 or 8.5lb in total weight.

A game changer is a perfectly capable rear bag for prone or bench shooting. I don't think I've used anything besides a game changer for a rear bag in the last 5 years.
Thanks all for the info, I’ll go with the heavy Shmedium to start with. Armageddon has a few other items I also need/want.

Does anyone have a coupon code for them? Or do they have sales, or offer free shipping if you spend enough? Or does anyone else sell the shmedium bag for less? Sometimes it’s cheaper buying gear from resellers than the manufacturer.

Being new to this game, I’m not familiar with the company, so I don’t know how they operate, but they certainly seem like a good company that makes a good product.

If you havent bought a bag yet. Also look at the Plus 1 smedium from JC steel (Jake Vibbert). Its a little bit bigger and helps on stages like rocks to get the gun and mag up off the prop. I alternate between a smedium and a plus one depending on what kind of props you are shooting each day. If I could only have 2 bags for everything. A heavy pint sized and a Heavy plus one will let you do everything (sometimes cattle gates with small openings or shooting through stairs requires a plate bag or pint sized to be able to fit the gun). But someone in your squad will most likely have a bag you can borrow for a unique stage.

Most of us use our game changer as a rear bag too, its not a hindrance at all and is one less bag to carry in pack.

Join the PRS and you get discount codes for a ton of brands. I think AG is 15% off, which basically gives you free shipping.

Thanks for that tip. Now I can tell my wife that I spent $40 on the membership in order to save a lot more on everything else…

• Haha
Reactions: PlinkIt