• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoes and pants for matches

I wear 5.11 pants and Salomon trail running shoes or boots. I've been looking for pants with built in knee pads, but in the meantime, I've just used some cheap knee pads I bought at Walmart

I wear 511 pants and just started using Paladium boots.

In 'straya a fair few people use FXD which are work-wear, and have pockets on the knees for inserts.

I'm wearing these right now. WP1

Here is another pants thread.

As for shoes I’ve seen expensive military boots to sandals. Pick something that fits you well and will be comfortable for all day use. Out west there tends to be a lot of hiking over uneven terrain so I like good boots.

Light weight boots. That's the key imo. Breathable, but mostly super light weight.

Just picked up a pair of UF Pro P-40 All Terrain Gen.2. Will let you know when I have a chance to try them.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
I’m trying to find a good set of shoes for PRS matches and pants with built in knee pads. What is everyone using?
Pants: I wear Kuiu Pro Pant. It has a built in knee pad that is just right...Not too thick. And the side vents are awesome. Trust me, you'll spend the money, but Kuiu is some of the best you can buy.

Boots: OK, this is a tricky one. One match I wore just regular boots. Went into kneeling position, and as I came up from that position, I bent my big toe and literally peeled my toenail back, and I keep my toe nails cut short. After that, steel or composite toe boots ONLY for me. Thought about $400 boots but funny enough, I tried the LARNMERN Steel Toe Boots from Amazon and love them. They are $67 and I figure if I get 2 - 3 years out of them (which looks like I will based on wear so far), I'll be happy and order another pair. Put some Dr. Scholls foot pads in 'em and you're good to go.

I'm adding a hat here because again, I have to say that Kuiu has the best ball cap I've ever worn. I'm telling you that in the Houston sun and humidity, I have NEVER had sweat rings on these hats. Stick it in the dishwasher after a couple outings and you're good to go. Hope this helped!

Crocs and cut off Dickies for the win

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_142546_182.jpg
    IMG_20210605_142546_182.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
I have worn kuiu, wolverine, dickies. Just be comfortable. The wolverines have held up really well over the years. The kuiu vents are nice in the summer

I see a lot of Sitka - mountain pants, and UF Pros at matches I go to. I've been running jeans and boots for the last year, but I'm really feeling the need for knee pads.

I just bought two pairs of pants to try out with knee pads - 5.11 ABR Pros because they're cheap, and my brother swears by them for daily wear, and TAD Force 10 AC because they're super lightweight and I wanted them to double as hiking pants that can get wet, etc. I would love some CRYE G3s in tan, but opportunity costs. Maybe in a year or two.

I'm currently running Merrel Strongfields, but my feet overheat, even in the winter. I might switch to something along the lines of 5.11 Norris? I like to have some ankle coverage for stages where my ankles are prone to banging stuff or sitting on gravel, etc.

Do people really ask what to wear to a simple outdoor activity?

I actually like these threads, sometimes I find good gear that I'm not aware of.

I'll second the TAD Force 10s in AC for warm/hot weather. Very lightweight, reasonably well thought out pockets, and the knee pads you are looking for. The front welt pockets can hold a mag, kestrel, or cellphone.

Reactions: gpkon66
I actually like these threads, sometimes I find good gear that I'm not aware of.

I'll second the TAD Force 10s in AC for warm/hot weather. Very lightweight, reasonably well thought out pockets, and the knee pads you are looking for. The front welt pockets can hold a mag, kestrel, or cellphone.

Hiking shoes are hiking shoes. Pants are pants.

Odd I wear some basketball shorts and an old pair of NB 990s lol maybe that’s when I’m never 1st

Hiking shoes are hiking shoes. Pants are pants.
Hiking shoes are often pretty expensive, and pants with Knee Pads even more so. Three weeks ago, I only knew of CRYE and UF Pro, but was certain there were other options I had just never heard of that would be equally viable. Finding threads like these is real God Send for those that haven't been buying stuff like this for a long time.

And when the top items you're exposed to cost $300, you want to know you're not just getting ripped off for marketing's sake alone, and that the item in question actually has $300 of value.

I've started similar threads. And I've shot a few matches. What I've found is anything really works. Fully kitted out or some cut off denim shorts and flip flops. For a field match, I'd avoid flip flops. Many guys wear Merrell Moabs or similar Salomons. Guy I shoot with wears his square toe cowboy boots (I'm talking about you @Krob95 ). Nothing special needed. Your terrain will dictate your shoes.

As far as pants go, I like the UF PRO StrykerHT. They have built in knee pads with an option to add more. They wear lighter than they look and vent well. Not cheap but worth it. I've also used the P40s and I like them too. Not as cool as the StrykerHTs due to lack of venting and you'll have to add knee pads but there's a pocket for those. Knee protection isn't a must but it's nice having some. You may require more protection than me, only you can determine that. For me the Duluth were too heavy and hot for any warm days.

What ever you do, consider the temps you're shooting in. Cold needs cold weather gear and hot needs hot weather gear.

I've started similar threads. And I've shot a few matches. What I've found is anything really works. Fully kitted out or some cut off denim shorts and flip flops. For a field match, I'd avoid flip flops. Many guys wear Merrell Moabs or similar Salomons. Guy I shoot with wears his square toe cowboy boots (I'm talking about you @Krob95 ). Nothing special needed. Your terrain will dictate your shoes.

As far as pants go, I like the UF PRO StrykerHT. They have built in knee pads with an option to add more. They wear lighter than they look and vent well. Not cheap but worth it. I've also used the P40s and I like them too. Not as cool as the StrykerHTs due to lack of venting and you'll have to add knee pads but there's a pocket for those. Knee protection isn't a must but it's nice having some. You may require more protection than me, only you can determine that. For me the Duluth were too heavy and hot for any warm days.

What ever you do, consider the temps you're shooting in. Cold needs cold weather gear and hot needs hot weather gear.
Knee pads are quickly becoming a necessity. I have gone down to many times and taken a rock to the knee cap.

As far as shoes I have been also considering something from Salomon in GoreTex. I will shoot in rain or snow so the waterproof might be nice.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I get the kneepad pant thing.

Shoes: any semi decent hiking shoe or low cut boot will work. It doesn't need to be $300 worth. It's PRS. 99% of the time you're "hiking" a dozen yards from the car to the firing line.

I get the kneepad pant thing.

Shoes: any semi decent hiking shoe or low cut boot will work. It doesn't need to be $300 worth. It's PRS. 99% of the time you're "hiking" a dozen yards from the car to the firing line.
Hence me differentiating a "field" match vs. a "square" range match. In Raton we hike several miles throughout the day and there's a real possibility of rattlesnakes. But mostly our most dangerous "predator" while hiking is cow and pronghorn shit hence @Krob95 's shit kickers. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Hence me differentiating a "field" match vs. a "square" range match. In Raton we hike several miles throughout the day and there's a real possibility of rattlesnakes. But mostly our most dangerous "predator" while hiking is cow and pronghorn shit hence @Krob95 's shit kickers. 😁
Bro, they’re steel toe shitkickers lmao only boots I got 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Boots are a pretty personal decision. The choice is also driven by weather, "physical" nature of the match, (slow-fire / IPSC, etc). If you don't think about what you are wearing on your feet during a match, that footwear is probably OK. Maybe someone could come up with a course of fire, shot at night under lights, whilst wearing pyjamas and fluffy slippers. Call it "Suburban Action". Just a thought.

Down here in Oz, shorts are OK at the shaded benches, but not exactly a good idea on the mound for long, slow-fire events, or even just standing around waiting to shoot.

If you have ever suffered serious sunburn to the back of the knees, you will know how much fun it is NOT. (Sunscreen can be your best friend)

Then, there is the hazard of big ants or other inquisitive wildlife wandering into your shorts whilst prone. The resultant uproar may attract the attention of range staff. If you still insist on shorts (or a kilt), be generous with the sunscreen AND the insect repellent.

Last edited:
I purchased 2 pairs of kuhl revolvr pants. I hate shorts but when I'm wearing them it feels like I am wearing shorts. I shot a match 2 weeks ago and it was the hottest day so far in mass, almost 90 degrees and we were in the sun for 10 hours and those pants kept me comfortable. I wear new balance sneaks, don't know which ones but they have like a mesh top around the toes so when the wind picks up you can feel it in the shoe. Keeps the feet cool and as far as knee pads I don't wear em cuz im not gay but if it's that big of deal just buy a cheap set at lowes and pop em on when you get to a kneeling stage. Kuhl revolvr pants for the win

Reactions: Krob95
I purchased 2 pairs of kuhl revolvr pants. I hate shorts but when I'm wearing them it feels like I am wearing shorts. I shot a match 2 weeks ago and it was the hottest day so far in mass, almost 90 degrees and we were in the sun for 10 hours and those pants kept me comfortable. I wear new balance sneaks, don't know which ones but they have like a mesh top around the toes so when the wind picks up you can feel it in the shoe. Keeps the feet cool and as far as knee pads I don't wear em cuz im not gay but if it's that big of deal just buy a cheap set at lowes and pop em on when you get to a kneeling stage. Kuhl revolvr pants for the win
Lol. Not gay either and don’t spend much time on my knees so I guess they are a bit more sensitive. Most have my matches shoot from rocky ground.

Reactions: Krob95 and Jmkjr87
Ha! I just figure if some twenty year old 11B in Iraq wants a knee pad, these 65 year old knees could probably use one in a 3-Gun match.😁

Personally I used to use trail running shoes, but I switched back to a stiff set of boots (Lowa GTXs for me) specifically for stages where I need to sit on my feet as high as possible with live toes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-131354.png
    Screenshot_20200209-131354.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 136