• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses shoot right handed left eye dominant

nate220

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2012
Farmington NM
Was wondering on how to fix my problem of shooting right handed but being left eye dominant. With every bolt action rifle I have ever shot I have been able to move my head in a way so I can see the crosshairs in the scope but I recently got my hands on my first AR and I'm having problems seeing threw the scope I can shoot left handed but would rather shoot right please any help is good help

Re: shoot right handed left eye dominant

I am not sure there is ever a great way of "fixing your problem." You can train yourself to look through the right eye with eye exercises but there will still be times when your left eye takes over. I am left eye dominant and ended up shooting left handed all my life. I don't remember ever thinking about it or analyzing it, I just picked up the rifle left handed and shot that way from the beginning of boot camp. Shooting an AR left handed is never an issue as the round ejects so quickly I have never noticed it leaving the chamber in front of me. I shot bolt action rifles left handed with right handed bolts for the majority of my life. Not that best methodology but you can make it work; however, I have decided later in life to change over to left handed rifles and it is so much easier and comfortable. After years of being right handed with a left eye dominant I have almost become ambidextrous with most tasks. I don't see it as a burden anymore and just use your left eye and let it do what it wants vice fighting it.

close left eye, use right eye.

or focus a little more on the reticle with the right eye, sort of like the front sight on a pistol. but the closing of 1 eye is obviously a quicker immediate fix.

after 30+ years of shooting right handed rifles left handed, i find it extremely hard to use a leftie rifle - muscle memory makes me reach for controls that are not there and i get all confused / locked up!

I have the same issue, but to complicate things I'm almost legally blind in the right eye and its not correctable. So I always stayed clear of long guns complete. I just shot pistol. That was to about 3-4 years ago when I decided that was way to limiting and forced myself to start shooting every long gun I could get my hands on, but I shoot them all left handed. Works fine! And I recently wrote a multipart article on my blog about my left handed bolt gun build based on a factory savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. You just need to make the decision of what way you want to attack the problem and get it taken care of.

I too am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I don't know if anyone else has an opinion on this but sometimes I keep both eyes open while looking through the scope with my right eye. I don't know why, but it's more comfortable a lot of time.

I share your pain, my wonderful father whom is naturally lefthanded. Taught me to shoot in his image. Only problem is, Im a right hand dominant person. So now my left eye is dominant. I have resigned myself to shooting right handed weapons left handed. Even owned a left handed Savage 110 many moons ago. But after shooting so many right handed weapons, shot my first deer with it, and rolled the damned rifle over to grab the bolt and it wasnt there. LOL So I just use right handed weapons and learn to adapt. Pistols are much easier!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I don't know if anyone else has an opinion on this but sometimes I keep both eyes open while looking through the scope with my right eye. I don't know why, but it's more comfortable a lot of time. </div></div>

^^^ THIS! ^^^

I'm a rightie with a dominant left eye and for years could only shoot leftie. But this method - right eye looking thru scope, with both eyes open - was the game changer for me. I can now shoot rightie, with my right eye on my rightie bolt-action. I'm still better with the left eye, left hand, but am working on the right side and rapidly catching up. I now also shoot with both eyes open from the left side. Keeping both eyes open is so much more natural to me and easier. And I am now a switch-shooter, nearly equally good with left and right sides.

For all you guys struggling with the left eye, right hand thing - just try the both eyes open method. Don't give up if the first and second attempts aren't great - practice it at least 10 times! And then practice it some more...

Good luck to all the cross dominate shooters!

I've run across guys with this same issue a few times in the military and as mentioned above you can try keeping both eyes open. The other thing you can try that works for some is to adjust your cheek weld until you can look into the optic with your left eye. This may seem awkward at first and it will change the way you're used to interfacing with the stock. However, I have seen guys go from marginal shooters to very good shooters in a short period of time by using this method. With that said, expect to have to re-train yourself for a short period of time to get comfortable with this new position. Hope that helps ya out.

55 years. Never could shoot a bow accurately. Trap, skeet rifle lefty, but with righty controls. Pistol righty.

I'm LED but shoot right handed and I find it easy. If you train with your right eye you'll get good at it but you have to train.

right handed, but left eye dominant. When I got my first rifle at 8 years old, it naturally went to my left shoulder. I have shot lefty all my life with long guns (52 years old now) and never considered trying to shoot right handed, and wont. No need to.

Dave

First welcome to the lefty world
Dont fight what your natural dominate eye is, go with it.

I have shot since about age 5, shot AAA Skeet as a teen
did 20 yrs in mil all shot as a lefty both eyes open.

I have watched folk struggle with fighting natures selection of dominate eye, go with it and save yourself a ton of ass ache.

There is no disadvantage to shooting southpaw,lots of lefty rigs n gear out there now days, unlike when i was a teen.

A whole for sale section dedicated to us gifted folk, thou its hide away under trade section.