• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooter protection on Remington, Savage, and Howa/Vanguard

forester22

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2019
I've been reading up on different safety features of a few bolt action rifles that protect the shooter from escaping gases in the event of a problem. The Remington 700 seems to take the approach of sealing off the chamber with its "three rings of steel." It looks like Howa and Vanguard rifles take the approach of venting rather than sealing, both having gas ports in the bolt. I'm not sure what the features are for Savage, but I have heard they are excellent actions for protecting a shooter.

Can anyone go into more detail about the merits of these systems? I'm specifically wondering about the difference between shooter protection on the Howa and the Remington, since I own two Howas and have been considering buying a Remington soon.

There is a vent in the side of a Remington receiver and on the bottom of the bolt. They line up when it's in battery. The three rings of steel is for strength.

From what I understand, a fully enclosed bolt face is part of what makes the 700 a safe action and that the enclosed face contains gases in the even of a case failure. Unless I am misunderstanding what an enclosed bolt face means, Howa rifles do not have an enclosed bolt face due to sako-style extractor. I might not be understanding it right, but I was under the impression that because of the enclosed bolt head that contains gas, the 700 is likely a safer action than something like the Howa.

Last edited:
From what I understand, a fully enclosed bolt face is part of what makes the 700 a safe action and that the enclosed face contains gases in the even of a case failure. Unless I am misunderstanding what an enclosed bolt face means, Howa rifles do not have an enclosed bolt face due to sako-style extractor. I might not be understanding it right, but I was under the impression that because of the enclosed bolt head that contains gas, the 700 is likely a safer action than something like the Howa.
Your not containing gasses with the 700 rings of steel more like diminishing the energy before it leaves the action.