• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Shooter Ready" software for training

lucky308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
Ca
I didnt quite know where to put this but I wanted to share this with the 'hide. A while ago I came across this website, www.shooterready.com . There's a demo on the the bottom of the main page, click, "view the demo". You owe it to yourself to at least try it out. It seems to be extremely realistic as far as ballistics go. The actualy software is about $45 shipped, and they do not sell the software to those outside of the 'states.

There are 3 calibers used in the actual software, which are the 7.62/.308, the .338, and the .50 cal. Each caliber has its on stages and you get to engage 3 different sized targets. I believe there are 210 stages total, not including the advanced and bonus stages. Each caliber stage has short, medium, long, and extreme range parts. All in all, it is an excellent simulator that will speed up your "math-doing" at long, unknown distance ranges. You will need to know how to mil-dot range, and if you do know know much about ballistic formulas the software teaches you in an extremely easy manner. There is also stages where you must engage moving targets, sometimes timed using holdovers/unders/offs..etc

ENJOY GENTLEMEN!

Re: "Shooter Ready" software for training

it pops up now and again herein. My bet is it probably got swept away during the last clean up, or it's buried so far back it take over an hour to locate
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it pops up now and again herein. My bet is it probably got swept away during the last clean up, or it's buried so far back it take over an hour to locate
wink.gif
</div></div>

I thought I saw it on here once before. Oh well, fresh on the boards now!
smile.gif

I just ordered it last week to help me get started

Ahh, I remember it well. Sitting here with my new mildot master figuring it all out............

Good stuff. I still play with the demo every now and again to see if I'm in the ballpark.

Now if they'll just come out with an IPHY/IPHY version...........

I think it is a great primer for teaching someone to use the mildot system. And great for practice. I had the first generation
software and the second now. I am completely satisfied. For the price I think every shooter should have a copy. It's great practice and a great tool to help a new shooter get into the game.

Be advised that the calculations are off a bit, just like a real Loopy scope
laugh.gif
They are much closer to IPHY than MOA but you will have to "calibrate" it much as you would a regular scope. Use the practice screens to determine what is most accurate.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's fun to watch guys that have no concept of LR try to play it w/ holdovers and kentucky windage </div></div>

what do you mean by Kentucky windage? clever concept...truly want to know more...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MelodyLopez</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's fun to watch guys that have no concept of LR try to play it w/ holdovers and kentucky windage </div></div>

what do you mean by Kentucky windage? clever concept...truly want to know more... </div></div>

Kentucky windage is an adage that grew from the Kentucky long rifles of the 18th century.

Basically it is a slang to indicate "holding" your aimpoint away from a target to allow for wind drift and elevation.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kentucky+windage?jss=0

I learned a lot about range estimating when using it. I hope they come out with a new release that his MOA/MOA or mil/mil reticle and turrets. Or, it would be even better if the user could choose his reticle and turret type.

Here Here on the couple of brews paired with Shooter Ready.

This thing is cool. Who says you won't use algebra after high school?

I'll order it just as soon as I'm out of the dog house!

It used to be 10 or 15 bucks. I have had it for 8 years. Maybe the new one has
a lot more in it.

Kentucky windage,
Need to hold right here to get a dead nutter.
Where is here?
Many a coins have been won with strange guns using this method.
TC

Same here....think Ive had it for 3-4 years...good training...and if
i remember right I paid like $20 for it at the time...hell if I know where it is though.....

I'll be ordering it but I hate Pay-Pal. So snail mail Baby!

Question,

How many people bother with Mil dot ranging calulations these days with the availablitiy of so many laser range finders?

I've been studying it lately but I'm an amateur. A recreational shooter interested in learning the mil-dot scope, I bought the mil-dot master. Obviously there is more to it than that!

I still Mil everything.....but Ill tell ya what....once you get out there a long way the Mil'ing accuracy degrades QUICKLY, unless you have a VERY sharp eye and can divide to .1 Mil......I used to be really good at it but the right eye is starting to have problems.....stared into a scope for WAY too much time in Iraq in that sun I think has something to do with it....right eye is beginning to droop compared to the left and it tends to be a bit fuzzy in the morning and when Im tired....among other things...

LongRange****,

Sorry about the eyesight issue. It's a challenge alright, even with 20:20 vision. Any chance our "Uncle" will provide corrective remedy for your eyes?

I saw a different thread were Lindy discusses a PDA software application that does all the calculations. Just amazing. Hence the question about what the top drawer professional shooters and competitors are doing.

Pequot was the name of QueeQueg's ship in Moby Dick BTW!

HAHAHAHA thats funny....the city is named after the Native American tribe the Pequot Indians that used to be here....the last surviving Tribe Member died here like 10 years ago.

No chance that I know of Im working with a DAV rep currently for disability for my blown out knees, back and hearing (the ringing used to be annoying as hell but Ive gotten used to it) he is going to try to put in for my eyes too but I doubt there is anything that can be done about my eyes. The knees however may still be something that can be done for my knees....I even got a MRI/CAT scan or whatever while I was in and they told me I needed work on them but since I was in a deployable status they werent going to do anything....and wouldnt you know it...it didnt make it into my Med records....along with a FEW things which should have made it in there that didnt (IE a bad reaction to the bad batch of Anthrax vacc which nearly killed me).

Anyway....the calculations are easy...just keep a cheap calculator with you...it works like this:

say size of target is 12"
And you Mil it at 0.5Mil
NOW....take the size of target and convert it into yards....
SO....12" divided by 36"= Size of target in yards
Which is: 0.333
Now multiply that by 1000
0.333 X 1000=333
Divide 333 by .5Mil= 666yards

once you get used to it it does become pretty fast.....in fact I bet I could do it faster my way than you could with your computer....besides....if I break/lose my calculator Im out $5.....you PDA is what like $500 maybe (dont really know what they cost)

This is long....let me know if you need any other help Ill be willing to help ya out....

That looks like the exact same software as on the Horus Vision demo except that it is mil-dot instead of the Horus reticle. I bet that is more than a coincidence.

Try this (on the full version of the program);

1 - Discard the range card they provide. Don't use it. The environmental conditions are vastly different between the card and each range.

2 - Take the bullet data, and environmentals to a ballistic calculator, such as JBM. Produce a dope sheet. Put wind in at 90 degrees, 5mph.

3 - Use THAT against the program. It's dead-nuts on.

This is also a good tool to teach someone how to properly fill out a databook sheet. Have them mark after each shot.

I heard talk of an updated version of the program but no follow through. Maybe if we start pestering them?

--Fargo007

Nice fargo - -thanks for the pointer - - -see you at Reade.

You got it brother!

Us SP guys gotta stick together. Go SP go!

--Fargo007

a have both old and new versions, new one has 308,300,338,50 and lets you click or hold mildots over, old one just clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this (on the full version of the program);

1 - Discard the range card they provide. Don't use it. The environmental conditions are vastly different between the card and each range.

2 - Take the bullet data, and environmentals to a ballistic calculator, such as JBM. Produce a dope sheet. Put wind in at 90 degrees, 5mph.

3 - Use THAT against the program. It's dead-nuts on.

This is also a good tool to teach someone how to properly fill out a databook sheet. Have them mark after each shot.</div></div>

good to know

I have been playing with this program for a while and I think it is good to geet you to understand the necessary calculations, but with out purchasing their software you do not get any other targets of different sizes to test your math skills...

It is a fun program tho!!! Good Luck!!!

I can't figure out the windage on this thing. It's in inches and not mil or moa like I would figure it should be.

You select the Reticle and Dials that are used before you start the demo! That is what you use! You can select Mils or MOA and the reticle type for ranging...

Good Luck!

I suggest you take the classroom inside the software...

Anyway, if you know what you are doing, you can convert from inches to miles easily...

This was how I got started on learning mil dot ranging. Also used this to help teach a couple new guys the concepts of LR and MOA/Mil. A great tool and lots of fun

Best I got was 88.
I can figure out the wind. The little arrow on the meter never moves.

I felt good my biggest yardage was off by 50yds, closest estimation I got was 4 yds off.