• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooters with a handicap

cpk357sig

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2024
Michigan
Anyone else out there coping with a disability at the range. I had a stroke, it has made shooting very challenging. I've been able to get back to shooting off a bench with some success. I'm finding prone and off hand very challenging. I'd like to find folks who have found ways to minimize the challenge. I've found that squeezing a small sand sock in my left hand minimizes the tremor and I'm good to shoot some decent groups for about 45 minutes before I fall apart. I'm also interested in gear choices, prior to the stroke I shot Sig Tango 6 scopes on my 6.5 and a Vudoo .22. After the stroke , activating the level plex in the reticle requires me to break my final shooting position and start all over again, my balance is off so I can't rely on my internal level system. I went back to an external level on a Nightforce, that works well for me. Let's share our successes, failures and most importantly mitigation strategies.

I am also working through some issues. My knees are toast, I have emphysema ( non-smoker), and developing a significant essential tremor. Knees killed my trap shooting, tremor killing my pistol shooting. Now fairly relegated to rifles on a range, but enjoy every moment of as I get to shoot with my daughter and son.

I'm working through some issues with a spinal cord injury (SCI) and reduced function/ROM in my left (gun) hand.

My strength is in the toilet, so I am mainly shooting pistol. 5 round groups otherwise the gun gets too heavy and they start wandering around the target. Lack of wrist function (ulnar deviation in particular) makes it difficult to lock the wrist over center for muzzle control. Lack of grip strength makes shooting consistently difficult. Shortened connective tissues in my hand and fingers means I have to really be diligent about stretching and pointing my trigger finger to mount the trigger properly so I don't "push" shots. I also found I was way too high on the trigger, requiring more pressure to engage the shot. I work harder now to get lower on the shoe and my consistency has improved.

This past fall and winter I started shooting trap with a 20ga pump gun and I really enjoyed it. Part of the reason for a 20 was reduced weight and reduced recoil. Even at 6ish pounds, I've found I have to rest the butt on my knee while the squad is shooting or my shoulders and arms get tired holding the gun. One big issue I had finding a shotgun that worked for me is the lack of ulnar deviation in my left wrist, mentioned above. Traditional stocks with their swept pistol grips are difficult, to not possible, for me to grip properly while being able to extend my trigger finger to the trigger. Shooting in the fall and winter cold makes it a lot harder to use my hands, they just don't work, so I have to keep them warm. 3 rounds of trap is about my practical limit.

Rifle shooting is sitting from bench only. I tried standing with hasty sling but couldn't keep the sights on target, even with a hunting rifle. Sitting, I have the same wrist and hand issues that affect pistol and shotgunning. I currently shoot a .270 and .243 Win and to be honest the recoil kind of beats me up. I'm putting together a .223 to hopefully get around this. I want to do positional shooting but am limited in prone with the neck/spine extension required. I can only play like 4 games of pool at a stretch for the same reason.

So, it's difficult. I keep working on my hands, keep working on my neck and they've been improving little by little. Around this time 1yr ago I don't think I was able to shoot a 9mm, so it's been improving. Hopefully I can start lifting again soon and I think that is really going to get things moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldrifleman
I'm pleased to hear from fellow shooters still rubbing some dirt on it and moving out. Keep up the great work. We may not be as good as we used to be but we can still be effective.

Tremor reduction is my biggest challenge

I'm pleased to hear from fellow shooters still rubbing some dirt on it and moving out. Keep up the great work. We may not be as good as we used to be but we can still be effective.

Tremor reduction is my biggest challenge
For me, shooting is a hobby that I've gotten back in to since my injury. Basically put down the firearms for a bow when I went to college. But now, with my injuries, many/most of my hobbies are no longer available to me and I had to find something 'new' to keep going. Figured I could maybe at least shoot.

Were you able to get specialized care after your stroke?

I was in physical therapy for about 18 months after my stroke. I started in a wheelchair, progressed to a walker for about a year, now I walk with a cane. I couldn't remember the combo to my gun safe until it popped in my head about a year after the stroke. I new I wasn't safe to use firearms at that point, I trained with a laser training device, moved to a airgun and when confident I could be safe went to the range supervised with a handgun. I still have my failures, I cant count the times I had to zero my rifles over and over again. I kept moving the elevation dial while attempting to set the zero stop. These aren't the best days I've ever had at the range, but it sure beats being back where I was.

Drive On! You can do it!

• Love
This grip helps me. https://rykerusa.com/collections/gear/products/fist-grip It allows me to pull my AR in with left hand ( my left hand is like Michael Jackson's glove, it's there for no apparent reason.) The other sling that helps is the SAP sling from short action precision. These days Police Sniper School seems like it was just a dream. But never give up.
That looks interesting, really slow today as it took me a while to visualize what it did. Would love to see it installed, I do like the SAP sling!

The ryker grip and sling allow me to pull my ar into my soldier with my uncooperative left hand. The SAP sling lets me pull my precision rifles in to my shoulder. I'm hoping to shoot NRL22 this year in the adaptive division.

Reactions: 748rpilot
Went to the pistol range after work and put 100 rds through it. I'm mainly still working on a lot of basics and fundamentals with the larger, heavier, more recoiling pistol (p320 X-Five Legion). As compared to the .22 at least.

This was my favorite target. Shot at roughly 7 yards, 3rd "groups", 1x rd per mag, 3x mags. Gun starts empty retrieved from a table. Furthest 2 shots measure right at about 3".

Not the fanciest shooting for some folks, but I've had to re-learn how to use my left hand and it's a journey that's not entirely over yet. I'm content, while understanding there's room for improvement. And there's a certain victory in that.

Attachments

• 20240422_193609.jpg
    20240422_193609.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240422_195438.jpg
    20240422_195438.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 9
The ryker grip and sling allow me to pull my ar into my soldier with my uncooperative left hand. The SAP sling lets me pull my precision rifles in to my shoulder. I'm hoping to shoot NRL22 this year in the adaptive division.
After seeing pictures of the Ryker grip installed the light bulb went off on how it's helpful. Seems like a pretty interesting product, I may try one for shooting rifle weak-hand.

It sounds like you're adapting and over-coming, keep at it!

On black guns, I found the IWI Carmel controls will work better with my uncooperative left paw. I ordered one today. On my precision guns I'm moving to easier to use scopes on my Vudoo .22 and my Bergara 6.5 creedmor. My Bergara was in a chassis, I'm going to a Grayboe stock that mirrors the Vudoo. It's expensive being handicapped, but you can't take it with you. It's worth it to keep fighting.