• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shootin' Gongs Tomorrow

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Well its been a while since I've posted anything and done any .22lr shooting. Thought I'd go out tomorrow (Wednesday) and do some shooting with one of my .22's... Not sure which one as yet, but shooting at some gongs sounds kind of fun. Don't know about the rest of you, but since this "rim fire ammo shortage" I just haven't been getting into doing much .22lr shooting. Been playing around quite a bit with my flintlocks. Any way, just wanted to touch base with the forum, it's been a while. Thought maybe shooting some gongs at 100 yards might motivate me to get to shooting the .22's more.

I was out last week trying to get actual drop with my DTA in 260. i took my savage MK2 to kill time while waiting for the barrel to cool down. I was playing around shooting at a rock a little past the 400 yard mark. I dialed 22 mils in the scope and still had to hold 3 mils. I had more fun doing that than I did shooting a 260 at 1000. I forgot how much fun a .22 can be.

That spur of the moment shooting can sure be fun, 1time.

I did get out this morning. Took the Marlin 80DL with peep sights, and the scoped Marlin 80 (Sears & Roebuck) rifle's, and shot paper and small gongs from 50 yards. Once I got to shooting I realized just how much I have been missing this .22 shooting. I thought, well 50 yards was a good place to pick it up from since the last time I shot these two rifles I had been working on the 50 yard zero with them. I even got around to testing the standard velocity CCI (1070 fps) that's really subsonic. I was impressed with this inexpensive (or at least at one time inexpensive ammo). Both rifles shot good groups with it. Shooting the gongs were just a bonus after the paper. Had a lot of fun with those. Yes, it was good to get back out. Next outing, 100 yards. Good times!

welcome back joe!

just this past weekend i was facilitating a long range shoot, i took the .22 CZ 455V out.

i got looks, but when consistantly pinging steel 1/2" AR400 at 200M / 218Y 9 hits out of 10 shots on a 12" round plate, (which swung a little), 300M / 328Y 8 out of 10 shots 12" plate (barely swung, but movement was noticable through the optic, just barely heard the ping).

then took a few shots at 385M / 421Y....seen a small splash and adjusted. could not here steel, so i moved to a clay pidgeon on the bank. the forth shot caved it in!

best thing is i have 2 witnesses, and the guy with the $4,500.00 rem 700 stopped shooting his and wanted to shoot my $500.00 .22.

Hey Top Predator, that's some mighty fine shooting! That's getting out there with those ranges past 200. It doesn't seem 200 is the norm for long range .22 anymore. Seems it has become 3 to 4 hundred. I had a good day to shoot 200 yards, but I figured the Range wasn't mowed so I left the MKII FVT Savage at home. Got to Range and once inside I seen it had been mowed. I'll get some 200 yard shooting in this Summer - eventually. Good to talk with you guys again.

How well does that AR400 hold up to a .308? I have a couple of 3'x3' pieces I'm going to cut into gongs but I'm real curious as to how long they will last?

welcome back joe!

just this past weekend i was facilitating a long range shoot, i took the .22 CZ 455V out.

i got looks, but when consistantly pinging steel 1/2" AR400 at 200M / 218Y 9 hits out of 10 shots on a 12" round plate, (which swung a little), 300M / 328Y 8 out of 10 shots 12" plate (barely swung, but movement was noticable through the optic, just barely heard the ping).

then took a few shots at 385M / 421Y....seen a small splash and adjusted. could not here steel, so i moved to a clay pidgeon on the bank. the forth shot caved it in!

best thing is i have 2 witnesses, and the guy with the $4,500.00 rem 700 stopped shooting his and wanted to shoot my $500.00 .22.

holds up excellent. .3006 FMJ and PSP bounces off of it well too, along with 220 swift, .260, .223, 7mm08. haven't had anyone show up with a magnum yet.

we had a guy with a mosin shooting steel core (he didn't realize it until we went to 421Y where i have a a few left over 3/8" mild steel targets which the bullets went through it like butter). they bounced off the AR400 also at 200 and 300 Meters .

actually pretty impressed with the AR400, all along i was pricing AR500, guess i didn't need it (at least for now with the non magnum cartridges).

joe, thanks...i was surprised as i've never taken a .22lr out past 300M in a serious posture. i think i giggled a little.

Last edited:
That's good to hear! I have access to a lot of it, now I just need some good programs for the cnc table..

holds up excellent. .3006 FMJ and PSP bounces off of it well too, along with 220 swift, .260, .223, 7mm08. haven't had anyone show up with a magnum yet.

we had a guy with a mosin shooting steel core (he didn't realize it until we went to 421Y where i have a a few left over 3/8" mild steel targets which the bullets went through it like butter). they bounced off the AR400 also at 200 and 300 Meters .

actually pretty impressed with the AR400, all along i was pricing AR500, guess i didn't need it (at least for now with the non magnum cartridges).

joe, thanks...i was surprised as i've never taken a .22lr out past 300M in a serious posture. i think i giggled a little.