• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shootin' the Breeze, Dry Fire Style

NPB

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2023
Lafayette, Louisiana
Hey, I’m one of the new guys and I was hoping to chat about backyard dryfire as a method of skill acquisition, maintenance, and growth. Are there some really fun ways to pull it off? I’ve got the longest backyard view I could hope for in my particular situation. Water features, different tree lines and dirt/grass

I have been (graced/blessed) with an amazing gunsmith for my introduction to precision rifle shooting. Dryfire and reading are among my very favorite hobbies.

I’ve got an actual range sized backyard, but nothing but only dryfire.

I’ve got tables and chairs and my aluminum hull and back porch posts to offer various barricades.

I’m additional excited and curious about precision rifle, because my lifestyle affords me a lot of opportunity to dryfire at home, and I could do just about anything with a rifle out there except shoot it.

My rifle will be a .308 bolt gun, I have a strong desire to learn how to shoot in wind (there’s a Cajun joke to make during hurricane season).

My basic plan to haul out there and learn, hopefully, *both* my guy handling-marksmanship foundation, but also the exterior-ballistics-to-fire-control foundation through training wind observation in dry fire.

I recently picked up Mr. Clenker’s book, and I have today see ln that Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham have The Wind Book.

Cheers!
NPB

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 45
Updates! Turns out a rimfire RPR has appeared on the menu, and that I am weeks away from being able to join the outdoor range.
There's a line out to 300 that includes steel and PRS barricades. There's a qualification procedure to get access to shoot on the 1k line.

I'll use dry fire at home and live fire on the 300 to prepare myself to tackling qualification. The word was the wind makes the difference between a 90% pass rate and a 50% pass rate on qualification. I will shoot .308, when it comes time to qualify.

Look into a DFAT dryfire system for your scope.

Reactions: NPB