• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 200 yard steel with 22lr and 510 whisper.

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
Had some more fun at the rifle range today. It took me eight years to talk my wife into shooting a rifle and she finally allowed me to bring her to the range after silencer use became legal in WA. She started out on a Savage MKII 22lr. Shooting it suppressed with subsonic ammo makes hardly any noise, and her double hearing protection keeps her from being bothered by unsuppressed fire at other benches.

At first she was happy just punching paper, then moved on to steel. Then she got tired of changing magazine every five rounds so I got her two ten round magazine. After a few thousand rounds she is now tired of cycling the bolt manually for each shot, so I built her a Ruger 10/22. I started out with a used rifle for about $200, put a decent quality heavy match grade barrel on it along with a medium quality scope and a sturdy mount. With a semi-auto she will probably triple the rate at which she goes through ammo. And now she is interested in the heavier stuff like 22 k-hornet. Whoa is me, I will have to load it for her until she decides she wants to do it herself if ever.
smile.gif

The first video is the 10/22 shot at an 18” plate 200 yards away. It takes about .6 seconds for the bullet to reach the plate and about .5 seconds for the sound to return. I was able to shoot 4 times before the noise of the first bullet made it back to the microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hIJ5-lFK8

The second video is my TC encore in 510 whisper shooting 637 grain subsonic (the lightest load I have for it) at the same 200 yard steel plate. The video quality is good enough that the bullet can be seen descending from the 15 inch arc it makes on the way out and it moves the plate a bit as well as sounding much louder than the little 22lr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAjLe9GoNMo

Ranb

Re: Shooting 200 yard steel with 22lr and 510 whisper.

very cool, you can see the .510 fly to the target.
thanx for the vids and good shooting.