• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting .223 in an AK47

Irelander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2006
Seneca, PA
OK...my buddy who was in the Marine Corps. for several years, says that the Marines taught him that you can shoot the ammo you use in an M16 (5.56NATO or .223) in an AK47 (7.62x39). I told him that is BS. I say the .223 round will go BOOM in an AK47 chamber. He swears up and down that it was drilled into his head for three weeks that you can shoot the same ammo in an M16 and AK47. What the hell is he talking about?

Re: Shooting .223 in an AK47

I just sold my 5.45x39 Smith and Wesson AR-15.

I have heard you can shoot .223 in 5.45 chamber.

Might try over on the survival forums.com I think that is the name of it.

But I think what your buddy is talking about is why people like the 5.45 x 39 chambering. Seems like it would just fireform the .223 to the 5.45 chamber.

Hope this helps. (but I am know expert)

I think the AK-74, not AK-47, has a 5.45 cal bore. That may be what he was drilled on. But the cartridge of the AR in longer than the AK. Actually, the 5.56 round may shoulder well enough in the 7.62x39 chamber to pop out a bullet. AK chambers are pretty robust and may take the abuse, but I would never want to try it.

The Russians made an AK 74 to utilize the NATO 5.56.

I think he remembered it wrong. It was more like M14. I have seen the 308 fired from an AK and it leave ugly marks from the shoulders all the way up the neck of the brass.

Unless it was the newer caliber version AK for .224, I don't see how the bolt could hang onto the case in order for the firing pin to hit home.

Just my opinion,
Mark

I've been told by former Marines that .50 BMG doesn't have to hit you to take off your arm and the 5.56 was made to injure and not kill. People will believe anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he remembered it wrong. It was more like M14. I have seen the 308 fired from an AK and it leave ugly marks from the shoulders all the way up the neck of the brass.

Unless it was the newer caliber version AK for .224, I don't see how the bolt could hang onto the case in order for the firing pin to hit home.

Just my opinion,
Mark</div></div>

That's what I thought too. The extractor wouldn't hold on to the case rim.

I wondered if he meant the M14.

.308 isn't going to chamber in a 7.62x39 chamber. The case head is a different diameter (my .308 brass won't fit in the shell holder for my 7.62x39 dies, and my x39 brass won't fit in my .308 shell holder). Not to mention the 12mm length difference between the two cartridges would cause the bolt/carrier to be so far out of battery that the hammer would likely not even be able to strike the firing pin.

Oh and the .308 case is fatter too, so it won't even go into the chamber far enough for case length to be a factor.

Do any of you that said .308 would chamber in an AK even own one?
confused.gif

My friend saw another ROTC cadet put a 5.56 Galil mag in an AK and fire it during foreign weapons training.
It cycled several times.
The only reason I can see it working is if the tapered shoulder of the 5.56 case centers in the neck of the 7.62x39 chamber.
That would allow the primer to be centered in the bolt face.

I'd love to see someone chamber and shoot a 5.56 in a 5.45 chamber.
The case is longer and the bullet diameter is larger.

PICT0005(1).JPG

I'd settle for video of the aftermath. I don't think I'd want to be in the immediate vicinity of anyone trying.
wink.gif

I can shoot 5.56/.223 out of a AK-47 all day every day with no problems,. It is actually a clone of a type 3 AK-47 made by Arsenal called the SA-M5 it's a milled 5.56 rifle and shoots very very nice, I wish I still had it.

The only 5.56 Ak I have now is a clone of a AK-101 called a SLR-106fr from the same guys at Arsenal,. Only this one is a stamped reciver gun with a side folding stock.

400px-7.62x39mm_round.svg.png

5.56 NATO

400px-5.56x45mm_NATO.jpg

The shoulder of the AK round at 33mm from the rear is 8.6mm diameter

At 33mm from the rear of the 5.56 round it is at least 9mm in diameter. This tells me it will not go to battery in the AK

Bullshit. Im scared this even got this far....

Even if the AK bolt would hold the 5.56 round, the shell casing would be split all to hell from it going off since there would be a big gap around it.

It would make more sense to put a 7.62x39 in a M14 7.62x51. It would go off and sort of fit (kind of like shooting .22 short in a .22LR rifle). I doubt the M14 would cycle because the bigger shell should have more gas pressure, especially with the AK round losing its pressure from being very loose.

You can also run diesel in gasoline engine. No, really. I was told many times.....

To all the internet ninjas. This morning, I dropped a fired .223 round into an actual AK 7.62 chambered rifle. The rear of the case sticks out the chamber @ 5/16" The rifle will never go into battery, even with a large hammer. I call this myth busted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, just put gas in your diesel, that works great. </div></div>

I used to do it all the time ... all it does is boost the octane and makes the lubricity a little greater and keeps fuel from gelling in cold weather.

Well shit, while were at it I bet I can fire 12g shell in my 50 BMG rifle and fire 50 BMG rounds in my 12g shotgun as well. Damn, I learn so much here its crazy....

A buddy of mine was shooting his AK, late in the day he reached into the ziploc (loose/surplus ammo) and loaded about ten rounds into the mag. One didn't sound right. At first he thought it was a squib. It had ejected the case and there wasn't a bullet stuck in the barrel. He went down range to pull his target and there was a perfect .223 keyhole. The AK had chambered, fired, and ejected a .223 round.

He was talking to someone while loading the mag instead of paying attention.

Any one got Darwin's phone number? He's got a few candidates here for his award....