• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting .300 Blackout in a .300 Whisper chamber?

freerangevoter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
North Idaho
I have a Savage bolt-action in .300 Whisper and a Noveske AR in .300 Blackout. I was thinking that the rounds were different, but spoke with Bob at Hornady today and he said I should be able to shoot either round in either weapon. (Bob had a Whisper print handy and we did some quick comparisons with the Blackout. The case length on my Whisper hand loads is about .050" shorter than the Remington Blackout length, but the top of the shoulder was the same height. Bob felt this should work.)

So, while waiting on my Hornady Whisper rounds, I tried some 220g Remington Blackout Express Rifle rounds in my Savage Whisper gun and found that the extractor was pulling them out of the chamber OK, but was letting go of them before they cleared the action so they stove-piped. The Whisper 208g and 240g hand-loads that came with the gun when I bought it always extract and eject fine. I did a quick check and found the rim on the fired Blackouts to be .373" and the fired Whisper rims are about .003" larger at .376".
I just grabbed a .223 round and found it was .373". Same as the Blackout rim, but .003" smaller than my Whisper reloads.

Any ideas?

Re: Shooting .300 Blackout in a .300 Whisper chamber?

My guess is that the .003" difference in your case heads is random variation and not relevant. The difference in case length could be an issue. . .

Frank

I use whisper ammo in my AAC 300 blackout 1-7 twist runs like a champ.

I have blackout ammo from Summit and whisper from hornady here.

I just grabed one of each and not an average .
Hornady whisper brass Rim is thicker than black out from summit.

Case RIM
.373 whisper .376 blackout

Web
.372 whisper .374 blackout

Loaded neck
.329 whisper .330 blackout

Case OAL
1.360 whisper 1.354 blackout

OAL loaded ammo
2.100 whisper 110vmax 2.124 balckout 220sub

<span style="font-size: 20pt">WHISPER</span>

blackout002.jpg

<span style="font-size: 20pt">BLACKOUT</span>

blackout003.jpg

It was my understanding that you can run whisper in a blackout but not blackout in a whisper.

Same thing I heard on WWW.

I dont know the chamber spec dimension of a Whisper, But it looks like the blackout Head Space is little longer and may be the show stopper. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my understanding that you can run whisper in a blackout but not blackout in a whisper. </div></div>