• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition shooting 300yd f class tomorrow with son 15-20 mph

lal357

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
millbrook,AL
my son is going to shoot his first match tomorrow with me @ 300yds checking the weather its gonna be 15-20 mph winds when he shoots .he has been practicing with my savage 223 1-8t 26" Mcgowen and has been holding his own shooting in the 180-190 range out of 200. but i've been thinking about letting him shoot my 308 becuase of the wind what do ya'll think his load for the 223 will be either be 69 gr.smk or 75 gr amax (gun loves the 69's). what do ya'll think have him shoot the gun he has been practicing on or swap him to a new gun he has never touched?.

Re: shooting 300yd f class tomorrow with son 15-20 mph

I don't think it will be that big of a variable at 300 yds once he adjusts while getting zeroed. I'd have him stick with the .223 since it is what he will be shooting regularly and is familiar with.

My very first experience at 1000yd (and beyond 300yd for the first time, too) was during the preliminaries leading up to a thunder storm, with OhmyGodly winds.

A) if I did badly, I had a valid excuse;

B) if I did OK, I had a valid cause for pride, and;

C) when I actually did pretty danged good, I was Over The Moon.

Don't sweat it, just go for it. A first match isn't about winning, or even being out in the front pack. It's about justification, ratification, and pride of accomplishment, It's about getting feet wet, and breaking in his new smile. Don't change a thing, go with what he's trained on, and let him see what a real challenge can be like. No better start than a hard one. There will be other times, and it's all easier after this one. Anything else is a letdown. No better way to show him that competition is the real thing, playin' with the big boys. Just tell him to relax and do bis thing, and then take it all (positively) from there. If he's satisfied he did his best, what else really counts? My bet's he'll be a good ways up from bottom when the dust settles.

Greg

Learned a long time ago, never try new things at matches/or games. Experiment during practice session. Moving from one rifle to another has it own unique characteristics such as triggers; in addition 223 to 308 has a noticeable amount of recoil difference which means different gun handling characteristics. Stick with what he has been shooting. If it is the 223 with 69gn pills so be it. Have him practice with the 308 for next time.

Go to JBM and plug in the numbers for 300 yards.

Good luck
Trevor

Great opportunity for him to learn the concept that when not to shoot is important. Let him shoot the .223, just remind him to watch the flags and the trees.

Thanks for the replies I'm thinking the same thing becuase the cheek weld is different for both rifles as for triggers same trigger just his is set @ 8 oz mine is 10oz . No flags so I told him to look at trees ,grass,leaves for movement and I will be his spotter

If those are going to be full value winds, you're looking at between ~9-12" (3-4 MOA) windage adjustment at 300 yd. Even with no adjustment, that would still put him somewhere near the outer edge of the 8 ring. So he would easily still be on the paper and can adjust accordingly. I'd say go with what he's been shooting and have a great time, he'll do fine. Let us know how things go.

well it was cold and windy 44 degrees and 18mph winds with gusts about 25 he did good we went with the 223 and 69gr smk's his first run he shot a 189 6x and the 2nd 184 3x not to bad when you figure he has only shot 300yds 6 times and this was his first match. he listened to me spotting for him and watched the wind great. for me i shot 188 2x and a 193 8x .i think he's hooked.
got the results he placed 5th out of 8 in open class and i got 4th (2 points out of 1st)out of 23

larry

Sounds like both of you had a good time. Not bad at all for a 223 considering the winds we had around here today. On a side note ... What is the schedule for the f-class matches?

go to the central alabama gun club website its listed under f class next one is 2nd week in may but they fill up real quick today we had people there on standby for an open slot .the person who runs it has his contact info there better do it quick i know most of the shooters who shot today are already on the list for may last one filled up in 2 weeks i think.

larry

Congrats, great shooting and sounds like you had fun, which is the most important part of all!

Given that your son is running the 69s, you might also want to think about having him shoot F-T/R in future matches if your competitions include that classification. That way, he'd only be going against .308s or other .223s and maybe not be giving up as much as he would against some of the F-Open calibers. Unfortunately, a lot of places lump all the F-Classes together, so just a suggestion. In any event, great shooting, sounds like you had a great time.

Yes, but is he still smiling...?

Yes he is still smiling I think he put his targets on his wall . As for f t/r that will be his next match I just have to get a better bipod for that rifle .

Congrats to both of you
smile.gif