• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting a night match

Caterpillardoc

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Doswell, Virginia
I’m shooting my first night match, Lights Out in Ninnekah, OK this weekend. Is there any gear I should take that I would not normally have with me? Anything in particular I should or shouldn’t do compared to a daytime match?

Things I discovered:
  • Small headlamp, either on a dedicated headband or a tiny one on the bill of a ball cap. It doesn't take a lot of light after it gets dark and your eyes adjust, so a really bright light isn't necessary for arms-length use. For longer-reaching light, I use an appropriately-sized Streamlight carried in my pocket. A few folks bring the monster 2000+ lumen lights insteead of gun-mounted lights for pistol or carbine work out to 50 yards where allowed on COF.
  • Depending on location/weather, dew might get your stuff wet after sundown. I mention it only because I left my large range bag open and everything inside got pretty damp; not a good idea to zip wet gear in an enclosed space. Brass also gets wet on the ground so I like to have a collection container open enough to let it dry.

( Live Range ), Night Shoot . might be ? they require all shooters wear a ' personal identify light ' . So might bring a small Chem. Light or something if they require it attached to you .

I shot the match, Lights Out in Ninnekah, Ok., which was also suppressors only. This is the best match I’ve ever shot. The stages were challenging and shooting at night changes the dynamics. I’m planning to go back next year.

I needed a head lamp for the match and a few glow sticks. Head lamps could only be red or green, no white lights allowed. Most everyone attached a glow stick to their rifle and pack to keep people from stumbling over them in the dark.