• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting after concussion

Powder_Burns

Shoutbox Veteran
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2009
    Colorado
    So, skipping the story telling part, for those of you that have gone through post concussive syndrome, how long after symptoms subsided did you resume centerfire rifle shooting? Anyone in the medical field of expertise have some insight to share?

I had a concussion after a vehicle collision. My head broke the driver side window out.

I waited about a month before resuming shooting, but I also shoot suppressed 99% of the time. I would talk to your doctor about it. Mine wanted me to wait until the massive headaches subsided, and my blood pressure came down to normal.

+1 for Doctor and not shooting forum members. Just my never humble opinion! haha

Not only is it the recoil impulse that can affect your skull, there is the over pressure from a nearby shooter with a brake that can potentially affect the brain. Hopefully your neurologist is understanding of what our sport entails. I'm not a doctor, just working towards going back to med school.

Yeah that was my main concern, having your skull connected to a recoiling rifle and neighboring muzzle blasts for a few hours didn’t seem like a good mix.

Of course, nowdays it feels a little uncomfortable telling random doctors anything related to shooting sports.

Better to take the time to heal now so you can get back to "normal" later.

Bad stuff/long term stuff can happen when you layer "brain bruises." (See football players)

God blessed me with two awesome skills unfortunately it resulted in a massive amount of concussions including four complex concussions. Played 30 years of ice hockey including college. Also a two wheel junkie since I was four years old. Bmx, mountain bikes, motorcross and road raced motorcycles. I still do the two wheel life as much as possible. For my concussion syndrome the worst part of shooting by far is the concussion/pressure from breaks. I notice it more when shooting next to one more so then if I’m shooting one myself. I basically always shoot suppressed now and when doing team matches I force my partner too also. Ear pro that doesn’t let the air equalize properly can also bother me badly. The recoil itself doesn’t seem to bother me even after a full day of shooting sporting clays with the 12ga. Hopefully your doing well and figuring some things out with yourself. I know I just rambled a bit about it but hopefully it helps you a little bit, I blame it on the concussions lol that’s what my wife always hears 😂

Reactions: BullGear
    1634132756826.png

We know jack-squat about the brain (ok maybe not that bad). Your best bet is to work with a doctor on recovery and they will likely be very very cautious.

Work with your personal doctor that you probably have a better relationship with. It gets better but it can be maddening slow.

Reactions: Simonsza1
    Slow for sure. My last complex was March of 2006 and I had everyday issues for 15 months

Yeah that was my main concern, having your skull connected to a recoiling rifle and neighboring muzzle blasts for a few hours didn’t seem like a good mix.

Of course, nowdays it feels a little uncomfortable telling random doctors anything related to shooting sports.
    Just tell them you are ready to get back in the “boxing gym…”

Depends on the severity of the concussion. Look up return to play protocols and that should give you a general guideline. Typically 1-2 weeks.