• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting aids - What are you using in the field when hunting?

K15G

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Hi all,

I am trying to build by field gear to help me have the confidence to extend the range of my shots. Currently I am using old faithful the .308 and the ever reliable .223 for some small game.

I currently use a heavy tripod with hog saddle OR a bipod type shooting stick depending on the ground I am hunting. I run a paladin rig so often no backpack. I am looking to add some bang for buck aids to help in the building of very stable firing positions in order to stretch both my guns out across the common field firing positions.

I am not ever shooting from the prone outside of the range. All my shots are taken off hand, from a kneeling, sitting, or sometimes from the tripod in a standing positions.

Do you guys have an suggestions for bags to assist supporting my trigger arm? I am already using a sling to lock it in tight at the foregrip end with a combination of wrapping my arm through to using my belt when off the tripod.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Yes, gear is not the issue here. You can have a huge heavy tripod and a hog saddle and people still miss. Meanwhile a dude can stand his backpack up and use that as a bag in the sitting position and be 100% good to go every time in a scenario in which that position is applicable

Reactions: camocorvette
Something like a Strapless Behemoth will support your elbow while sitting without adding much weight. And if you can lock into your tripod with some sort of Arca setup it will be much more solid than a Hogsaddle. Dryfiring in your living room with your gear with some sort of aid will help you break clean shots and shoot better.

Stay out of gay bath houses and you won't have to!

Tripod is really becoming a must have for field shooting. Be it 4 legged or 2 legged.

People will complain about them in matches. But honestly, a tripod is one of the most “real” or “practical” parts about matches.

Learn to use it well, and you almost won’t need a rear support.

But, if you want the ultimate field setup, get a tripod with tac table, a very lightweight bag to put on the table, and a triple pull ckye pod.

You can carry all this very easily as it doesn’t weight much. People can laugh or mock it all they want. But the setup pictured below isn’t hard to pack around at all.

Attachments

• E7E2D617-D73D-4DBD-ADD9-6259CDE44D49.jpeg
    E7E2D617-D73D-4DBD-ADD9-6259CDE44D49.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 123
Try a plastic saw horse.
😁
Okay, so it was there and I could sit in a chair. That's way better than being prone for 4 hours.

64yds to the feeder. 318 to the other side of the clearing.

20220212_175627.jpg

Sounds like you're looking for something like a Wiebad Pump Pillow, Wiebad Fortune Cookie, Traust Gamer Bag, Armageddon Gear Fat Bag, Armageddon Gear Game changer, Cole Tac Cuddle bag, etc. Look for PRS support bags and you'll find a whole bunch of different types. Some more versatile than others.

I’ve been thinking of trying the Hatch bipod. They make 27” and 36” versions. Hunters seem to like them.

Last edited:
These are the only two aids I use. I don’t even bring a bipod anymore. Pretty much covers most of my hunting situations.

Attachments

• 909E7B2E-B284-4A7C-B5B9-D49FA4357757.jpeg
    909E7B2E-B284-4A7C-B5B9-D49FA4357757.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
  • DF8B4406-5008-4354-8F85-A6BF5C3E1727.jpeg
    DF8B4406-5008-4354-8F85-A6BF5C3E1727.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: 96C