• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shooting Antelope with a 25-06

tman300wm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
Guys,

I'm doing an Antelope hunt this year and my rifle of choice is a Rem 700LA custom build with a 25" barrel in 1 in 10 twist. I'm looking at the following bullets for development: 115gr Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip, 115gr Nolser Ballistic Tip, and the 110gr Nolser Accu-Bond spitzer.

I have never hunted Antelope, and I have not started load development on this rifle so I'm looking for any and all input from the experienced Antelope and Deer hunters. Let me know what your favorite 25-06 load is, and post pics of your rifle, kills, and distance. Also, what are you using for support, Bi-pod, sticks, rucksack?

Thanks,

Tman

Re: Shooting Antelope with a 25-06

Tikka factory 25-06
80 Barnes ttsx
62 grains 4831sc(work up to)
3680 fps
Shoots little bitty groups. Hell on whitetails.

53.5gr IMR4831, 100gr Sierra shoots good in my 25-06 and does a good job on antelope and white tail.

+1, I use I4831 and a 100smk. great shooter, but the one Ive used more for killing is the 75 Vmax and 54ish gr of the same powder. Killed several deer and countless stuff (PD's,rabbits, Fox, crows,ect.)

Prepare for the wind. Heavier bullets or a heavier caliber will help buck the wind. Some guys have gone to the 300s just for that reason.
Good shooting.

I figured wind would be a factor, so I'm looking at the heavy bullets in 110, 115, and 117 grns.

the wind never blows in Wyoming...
crazy.gif

115 outta a 243 at 507 yards.. turn up sound. My boy was filming, tried to make it exciting for his first hunt with him along.

turn up sound some... sorry for rough quality.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5Z0c_Ic7G0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5Z0c_Ic7G0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

My antelope rig is a .25-06 Ruger M77 MKII.

I use 100 gr TSX behind IMR 4350. Very accurate. Haven't had one take more than a couple of steps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured wind would be a factor, so I'm looking at the heavy bullets in 110, 115, and 117 grns. </div></div>

Todd, I'm looking forward to our hunt. With one bonus point I'll bet you pull that tag this time!!

25/06 is great antelope medicine. One of my favorite bullets in mine is the 115gr Berger VLD. I have taken and seen many antelope killed with the 25/06....its one of the best out there!

I'm really excited about the hunt as well. I figured the 25-06 was good to go. I have shot my fair share of white tails with it, but I have always used a really light bullet (90gr), and the longest shot has only been about 175 yards. Any recomendations for a bi-pod, sticks, or shooting of a pack?

Thanks,

T

Outstanding video! Thanks a million, that was inspirational. Did you use a 115gr DTacm on that goat?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really excited about the hunt as well. I figured the 25-06 was good to go. I have shot my fair share of white tails with it, but I have always used a really light bullet (90gr), and the longest shot has only been about 175 yards. Any recomendations for a bi-pod, sticks, or shooting of a pack?

Thanks,

T </div></div>

Todd, A lot of my guys just use the 6-9 Harris with a podloc. It's not a bad idea to have along a set of sticks for high sage brush or grass. 90% of the shots are going to be prone with a bipod and rear bag.

I talked with the landowner today and he said the antelope are wintering good down there(where we hunt). I live 200 miles north of the ranch and the antelope arent doing very well here. It's one of the worst winters on record up this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding video! Thanks a million, that was inspirational. Did you use a 115gr DTacm on that goat? </div></div>

Yes I did. You will have a great time with Pat !

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I don't get out to hunt much these days and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me. I appreciate all your commets and info. I'm really trying to make this a dream hunt.

It should be no problem with a 25-06 . Ive shot many of elk deer and Antelope with 100g NBTs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wind never blows in Wyoming...
crazy.gif

115 outta a 243 at 507 yards.. turn up sound. My boy was filming, tried to make it exciting for his first hunt with him along.

turn up sound some... sorry for rough quality.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5Z0c_Ic7G0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5Z0c_Ic7G0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

that's awesome
I am about to get another 25-06
haven't had one in years
fantastic deer round

Antelope is about the only game that anyone around here can readily get permission to hunt. All deer whitetail/mule are dang near impossible to get permission for as most land is leased out to hunting outfitters.

I've killed a heck of a lot of antilope and muleys with my 257 Roberts. You wont have any problems with the 25-06.

I like to go out and visit out of state shooters, (most like to set around and drink coffee). The biggest problem they have is over estimating the range. The critters are small, often standing in tall grass. It's easy to over shoot them.

I was BSing with a group of hunters from Wisconen last fall, they were guessing the distance to a young fawn. The estimates were everwhere from 300 to 600 yards.

My range finder said 225 yards. We stepped it off, and it was about 225 yards.

One thing you want to watch is snakes, I was crawling up for a shot last year after the stalk I found I crawled right by a 3 foot rattler. Might want to put a little revolver in your pocket with bird shot.

My stepdad has had decades of success with the Sierra 117 grain Gameking. He shoots a Ruger M77 and it is his "meat gun"...uses it on whitetail, antelope, mulies, and elk.

I favor the 120 grain Partition for elk, but everything else gets either a 117 grain Hornady SST or a 115 grain Ballistic Tip. My 25-06 wears a B.O.S.S. and either of those two boattails groups under an inch at 200 yards from my rifle. They seem to perform about equally on game...lots of bloodshot meat if the shot is under 250 yards, but near instant incapacitation if the bullet hits the boiler room...no need for tracking. I'll often take head shots if I'm under 200 so as to retain as much meat as possible.

Out of the bullets you're looking at, I'd say grab a couple boxes of 115 grain Ballistic Tips, a pound of H4831SC, a sleeve of CCI large rifle primers, and a set of Lee Collet dies (yeah, I know...but runout on my loaded ammo is .002" or less so I never saw a need to "upgrade") and go for it. I've had excellent results at book max (52 grains), but as always you should work up from 10% below and watch for overpressure signs, especially since your rifle wears a custom barrel.

Nice video. Did that goat even stop walking? Nice shot either way!

25-06 was my dad's antelope round and he did quite well with it.

No antelope expert but my 25-06 sure likes the 100 grain TSX, works well on antelopes. My go to gun though last 3 years has been my 7mm-08, but both work just fine.

Also, Sendaro Man great video - I've been fortunate to hunt out your way the last 3 years and will be back this year, I hunt down round about Kaycee - sure fun stuff!!

I loaded the 110 accubond this year and have been very pleased but any of the options you listed will work fine.

Noah Mercy,

Thanks for the recipe. I have a bunch of SC so I'll try that one out.

Browning A-Bolt 25-06, I just use Factory Winchester 120 grain PEP, I've killed 7 antelope in 4 years with this round anywhere from 50 yards out to a couple past 300 yards. Hitting them with a 25-06 is like hitting them with a bolt of lightning, I've never had one go more than 30 yards after the hit. JMO, but the 25-06 is all the gun you need for antelope or whitetail for that matter.

The accuracy/hunting load used by the several of us with .25/06 was 50.0 gr. IMR 4350 with the Sierra 117 BT GameKing. Used to get around 3k FPS with a 24" Douglas barrel.

Again, thanks to all of you for the loading data and suggestions. I bought a bunch of various makes of bullets from 100gr to 117gr, and I have 4350, and 4831SC by the bucket, so I should be able to narrow it down between now and October.

SW GA country boy here so no speed goats but 25-06 is hammer on whitetails, Im shooting 25wssm last 4 years in a mod 70 coyote lite, 110 AB's and 120 PEP's and cannot get over how well the hammer forged barrel shoots. points like a 16 ga mod 12. but a pre 64 mod 70 in 25-06 is in the works( re barreled 30-06) .

My Grandpa uses the 85gr Nosler BT bullet. Shoots like a laser and drops them. Just do not hit any grass between you and them. Even a single blade seems to be hard on them.

100 gr T-TSX 55gr H4831 win brass and primer .5 off the lands. Use for both coyote and whitetail

Awesome shot dude.... Bipods are great for hunts, yet, I find them a little bulky. For Hunting I now carry a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot bipod... I carry the kneeling one on the outside of my pack and the benchrest version in my pocket. They are very "rapid" and sturdy....

my 02

Cool, thanks for the info on the Stony Point product, I'll be sure to check it out.

We use 4831sc and 110 Accu-Bonds. The combo works great! Enjoy the experience.

I would just shoot whatever your gun likes the best as all the antelope I have killed have not seemed hard to kill at all. Hell I have shot 3 of them with a bow and arrow and have yet to have one run more then 80 yards. Accuracy should be the determining factor here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I'm doing an Antelope hunt this year and my rifle of choice is a Rem 700LA custom build with a 25" barrel in 1 in 10 twist. I'm looking at the following bullets for development: 115gr Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip, 115gr Nolser Ballistic Tip, and the 110gr Nolser Accu-Bond spitzer.

I have never hunted Antelope, and I have not started load development on this rifle so I'm looking for any and all input from the experienced Antelope and Deer hunters. Let me know what your favorite 25-06 load is, and post pics of your rifle, kills, and distance. Also, what are you using for support, Bi-pod, sticks, rucksack?

Thanks,

Tman
</div></div>

700's in 25-06 are twisted and throated nicely,so as to allow options. I hate Noslers as a Rule and NBT's in particular,but in fairness their .257" 115NBT is easily one of their best efforts.

Would Berger prior to it though.

I don't know much about the 25-06 cartridge. However, growing up I have seen a slew of deer and antelope taken with a 220 swift (If your from Oregon you know what I'm talking about). So I would imagine that a 25-06 would have no problem being able to put down a speed goat no problem. Also, if you notice an area where they are likely to go under a fence you can put a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement and spray it tan. Then just shoot a round to spook them and you can get them that way too.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wmr264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have also seen a slew of goats killed. 22-250(in eastern or) </div></div>

22-250 works great, but it's not a legal caliber in Wyoming. Just make sure you read the regs for the state and game animal so's to avoid the wardens.
wink.gif

Killed my one and only antelope in Saratoga, WY with a .25-06 shooting hand loads with Hornady 117gr SST's at 410 yards. Worked perfectly and went less than 20 yards.

IME, slower powders seem to work best with the .25-06 and the heavier bullets. I have many OCW loads with Ramshot Magnum, Retumbo, IMR7828SSC and H1000. These slower powders for me have shown improved precision, higher velocities, and better SD/ES numbers.

According to the Litz numbers, the 115g NBT and the 110g Hornady Interbond have the same BC. With Retumbo, I am able to easily get 3300 fps with the 110g HIB which has a BC of .4. (I realize that I do not need a bonded bullet for antelope, but I can push the 110g bullet faster than the 115g). Ramshot Magnum and the 115g Berger VLD may be the load that I would take for "speed goats" though if I had to choose due to wind drift. The 115g VLD at 3100fps gets you 700 yards before it drops below 1800 fps with 14.3 MOA of drop and 4.9 MOA of drift with 10 mph 90 degree crosswind at that distance with standard conditions(calcs would change with differing conditions). I would also worry less about them running with the VLDs.

Hope this helps.